Talk

Advanced search

Landlady wants us to replace a broken light fitting

(11 Posts)
twinsufficient Sun 08-Nov-15 16:43:39

Been living in rented accommodation for the last 6 months whilst renovating another house. Landlady has been very difficult from the start about what she's willing to do in terms of repairs etc.

A rose light fitting crumbled in my hands whilst changing the bulb. It needs a new one fitting so when I bumped into the landlady I mentioned it and asked what she wanted to do. She said she had a spare one and would my dh be happy fitting it. I said I wasn't sure as it involved electrics and he hadn't done it before. She then said she'd do it herself if he wouldn't. I know for a fact she's not a qualified electrician so wouldn't really be happy with her doing it either. Aibu in thinking she should get a proper electrician in? Plus what other 'little' jobs has she undertaken herself previously

Tiggeryoubastard Sun 08-Nov-15 16:45:43

I've always fitted my own light fittings. I think you're being a bit precious.

pinotblush Sun 08-Nov-15 16:46:31

I hardly think that changing a ceiling rose is rocket science and if she can do it then thats fine.

EatShitDerek Sun 08-Nov-15 16:46:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS Sun 08-Nov-15 16:50:35

If it just the plastic part which holds the bulb/shade you wouldn't need to redo the wiring anyway.

wonkylegs Sun 08-Nov-15 17:06:31

I'd have no problem with a non electrician doing that - not a difficult job. And under the regs doesn't need an electrician to do it.
DH has just replaced our bathroom pull switch today - easy peasy.

zebra22 Sun 08-Nov-15 17:08:40

Yes YABU - it doesn't require an electrician

specialsubject Sun 08-Nov-15 17:18:10

it is an easy job but a) you as the tenant don't do it and b) while it is perfectly legal for a non-electrician to do this (one up from changing a bulb) she should do it in case something else is revealed while she does.

a plastic fitting that crumbles is quite old. Doesn't necessarily mean it is unsafe, indeed someone may have crossed the thread previously and wrecked it.

ShatnersBassoon Sun 08-Nov-15 17:22:35

It's an easy DIY job. Let her do it if you don't want to, but it might just be easier and quicker to do it yourself.

RB68 Sun 08-Nov-15 17:53:01

electrician only required for a new light installation not a replacement or change of light fitting. But yes get her to sort it her job

lurkerspeaks Sun 08-Nov-15 18:42:43

I broke the ceiling pendant when staying with friends in the summer which was pretty embarrassing (I bashed it with the duvet while making my bed and it fell to bits).

I'm pretty handy with DIY neither of them are. So we went to homebase, I bought the fitting and fitted it.

It really doesn't need an electrician.

I currently live in rented accommodation and would probably be unwilling to do it here for fear of causing more damage/ not doing it properly whereas in my own home (or my friends house) I was quite happy. But IMO you cannot demand she gets an electrician in - it really isn't a job that needs one.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: