Talk

Advanced search

To wonder what will go wrong next??

(21 Posts)
ilove Sun 08-Nov-15 12:21:36

four weeks ago the dishwasher broke. I replaced it

Three weeks ago the 300 litre hot water tank on the top floor burst in the middle of the night, resulting in three floors of the house needing new carpets, decorating, kitchen kickboards replacing, karndene to come up and be replaced, doors to be realigned, carpets to be cleaned, etc etc. Should be done for Christmas sobs

We've had two weeks of air blowers and dryers in the house to get it dry

Two weeks ago the oven broke. Got that repaired

Today, one of the bathroom showers has started to leak through the kitchen ceiling. I think it needs retiling/regrouting.

Yes we do maintain the house and reseal stuff etc, and have things serviced.

Is it too early for wine and please tell me the shower isn't the start of another "happens in threes"!!!

MummaV Sun 08-Nov-15 12:26:26

Oh no! Sounds like you've had a nightmare few weeks.
It's never too early for wine, it's always happy hour somewhere.

wineflowers

Room101isWhereIUsedToLive Sun 08-Nov-15 12:28:33

Definitely not too early for wine. Though I won't be joining you still recovering from last night
Did your insurance cover most of the cost? Sounds like an utter nightmare, anyhow.

ilove Sun 08-Nov-15 12:28:59

And how can it cost £950-£1100 to simply replace 12 tiles on a wall? A days work if that - with me providing the tiles and glue?????!!!!!!

ilove Sun 08-Nov-15 12:29:57

Insurance are sorting out all the damage from the tank bursting yes, thank goodness- the bloody karndene is over £1000 without all the rest!!!

redexpat Sun 08-Nov-15 12:55:24

Oh no! One thing after another. Wine is most definitely your friend!

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sun 08-Nov-15 12:56:58

Hopefully that's your run of bad luck over now.

What's karndene?

TheoriginalLEM Sun 08-Nov-15 12:59:11

Who charged you that for doing the tiles???? thats crazy that is.

ilove Sun 08-Nov-15 13:05:23

Karndene is fantastic - the cost comes in with the levelling screed and the fact it takes three days to do. It's low maintenance and looks fantastic, and laid by hand - looks like floorboards, I love it. Also has a pattern inlaid around the edge. That's the buildres quote to replace it.

The cost for redoing the tiles is the quote I had from rated people. I won't be payin g anywhere near that - if it comes to it I'll have a go at doing it myself!!!

This is of course one of my busiest times of year - we're booked solid through Air BnB and I have three foster kids here too.

Ugh.

Room101isWhereIUsedToLive Sun 08-Nov-15 14:06:20

I take my hat off to you, with all that going on, I would be curled into a ball under the duvet, refusing to come out!

ilove Sun 08-Nov-15 14:08:22

I'm very tempted to do just that!!!

oneowlgirl Sun 08-Nov-15 15:07:08

That all sounds horrendous but hopefully that will be the last thing to go wrong.

Looking on the bright side (if that's possible), at least it's now & not during Christmas & thankfully no one got hurt when the tank burst.

[You're obviously very strong also as I'm another that would be under the duvet, so keep going!]

ilove Mon 09-Nov-15 14:19:50

They are confident (and I am hopeful) that it will be all done for Christmas, otherwise I might well cry!!

Karndene is up, they've put distsheets down over the concrete and stuck them down with tape. There are wet patches on the concrete but they'll hopefully dry quite quickly...hopefully...

Carpet man coming on Weds...

AlpacaPicnic Mon 09-Nov-15 15:14:20

<nods sagely>

<goes off to google karndene>

AlpacaPicnic Mon 09-Nov-15 15:20:33

Ooh, interesting... I like the look of that for when I get my kitchen redone.

Hoppinggreen Mon 09-Nov-15 15:22:27

Karndean is great, like Amtico but cheaper.

Anyway, hope thats it for crises in the ilove house and that you are all sorted by Christmas

ilove Sat 14-Nov-15 21:38:32

We're dry - all through!!! Tiles on Monday, joiner on Wednesday, decorators next week...woohoo!!!

oneowlgirl Sat 14-Nov-15 22:06:30

Yeah!! grin

ilove Mon 23-Nov-15 13:26:47

Had the leaking bathroom retiled last week, and the decorators arrived this morning. They're here all week and then the carpet cleaning company come in next Monday to clean the two stained ones before the new carpets will be laid.

I have to say, the insurance company have been brilliant so far - I'm really impressed.

Flipping kitchen is out of action though - it'll have to be pizza for tea!!!

ilove Fri 27-Nov-15 18:41:16

It was all going so well - until the decorator couldn't get the kitchen ceiling to take the paint, and after 4 days of painting they have decided the ceiling needs partially replacing then the decorating needs doing again. Argh.

So I still have the contents of the kitchen everywhere BUT in the kitchen, and the plinths they replaced don't match at all so they are doing them again too...

<think good thoughts> stressed

Jibberjabberjooo Fri 27-Nov-15 18:47:33

Love Karndean, we have it in the kitchen. I'm so pleased with it.

I hope things improve for you OP, that's enough of a crisis for now! winewine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now