Talk

Advanced search

To stop my mum buying the children smart phones for Xmas.

(9 Posts)
notenoughhoursleft Sun 08-Nov-15 10:56:06

So my ten year old has a problem with Minecraft - obsessed. My nine year old is obsessed with my iphone. It's caused tension.

Mum wants to get them a smart phone each for Xmas. Would make their day and ruin my year. I just think they don't need to be introduced to even more screen time/obsession.

I've said I would prefer them not to. They would be devastated if they knew.

Am I being unreasonable?

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 08-Nov-15 10:57:46

No! They don't need them.

hettie Sun 08-Nov-15 10:58:51

I so would be stepping in and stopping this

MammaTJ Sun 08-Nov-15 11:00:47

YANBU but you already manage to curb the iphone and minecraft obsessions, so would it be that different with their own iphones?

You could limit their time on them, tell them they are allowed on till such and such a time, then they go away.

I say this as an owner or similarly minded 9 and 10 year olds. The 10 year old has a smart phone, the 9 year old borrows my iphone but I tell them they get put down at 6, or whenever suits me.

The 10 year old gets to take her phone upstairs for an hour after they both go to bed at 9.

foragogo Sun 08-Nov-15 11:02:41

won't the 10 year old need one next year when God to secondary?/maybe ask her to get one then. I have a 10 and 8y old and my personal solution to this, such as it is, is that I tool all games including .inecraftnoff MY phone. They have 3DS, console ànd the 10y old has an iPad. all use is weekend only (you get ones) or after homework (iPad eldest one).

is kind of working OK though 10y old insists he is the only one without a phone and 8y old probably is the only one in his school without an iPad. I don't think there's àny harm in making them wait for things. here it will be you get a phone for starting secondary school and an iPad when you're 10. single best thing I ever did though was take all the games off my phone.

WowOoo Sun 08-Nov-15 11:03:30

Decide what you want and then tell your Mum.

What about a tablet for them to share or one each? At least they won't strain their eyes!

I understand as we have two screen obsessed boys but I've already told them to expect a surprise for Christmas.

They are also aware that there is a global economic crisis with rising population - Santa has a really tight budget this year grin
No generous relatives either. HTH

witsender Sun 08-Nov-15 11:37:48

Big no from me.

PhoebeMcPeePee Sun 08-Nov-15 11:54:22

Same situation with 9 & 6 yr old and I've said a definite no and the boys know this. A family iPad, computer & PS3 and my old iPhone between them is more than enough at their age. We'll get ds1 a phone (not a smart phone!) when he starts walking to school and if he wants to buy his own in a few years then I won't stop him. My main issue with smaller mobile devices is finding them sneaked upstairs at night, taking them to friends houses etc whereas they know family gadgets stay downstairs in the house.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 08-Nov-15 12:17:50

A tablet would be more useful than a smartphone and safer, and easier to police.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: