Talk

Advanced search

To think car hire people are fraudsters

(6 Posts)
safestdriverever Sat 07-Nov-15 21:28:22

I hired a car in Spain. Arrived early hours of the morning with a delayed flight.

Did all the paperwork and then they did the damage sheet. Was brand new sheat so every bit of damage had to be done again. They went round and noted about half a dozen, I couldn't see anymore and was tired and it was dark. It was usign a symbol and a number for the damage, I kind of understood it but was exhausted.

I went to take the car back and they did the inspection in the daylight and notes two more not on the list. I'm sure I didn't do them. I didn't sign anything to agree that I damaged it, as I didn't agree and rushed off to get my flight. They will apparently charge me nine hundred Euros for this.

I feel like it's a con out to get me

Diddlydokey Sat 07-Nov-15 21:34:13

In the future buy independent excess insurance before you go. It's cheap and takes away the worry.

It's their business but some are better than others. You should have checked it better before signing your life away but you know that.

trapdooragain Sat 07-Nov-15 21:36:23

challenge it? because it was dark how are you supposed to see damage in the dark

Bumbledumb Sat 07-Nov-15 21:52:11

You are almost definitely being ripped off. They are charging people for repair for damages and not actually repairing anything. Ask them for the breakdown of the charges and the repair invoice before you hand over a cent.

CasperGutman Sat 07-Nov-15 21:53:05

I once hired a car in Cyprus. I collected it in the dark and it was parked next to a wall. When I returned it the guy pointed out a big scrape way down low on the sill on the passenger side which had been against the wall. To see it in would have had to be lying on the floor between the car and the wall.

Given that (a) he didn'the really look at the car before pointing out the damage and (b) the scrape was really rusty, i'my pretty sure it had been there for ages. I said as much, but as he pointed out, (a) I had full CDW and (b) my flight was closing. I wonder how many people had paid for that particular scrape to be repaired?

safestdriverever Sat 07-Nov-15 22:07:30

Yep I think I'm being ripped off. I did purchase the excess insurance, was only 4 pounds a day and was external not their 19 pounds a day one. So I'm still worried that it won't cover it.

For the Cyprus one did you agree to it and let the insurance pay it? If they insured themselves I dont see how anyone would be charged?

For me they would charge as it was external.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now