Talk

Advanced search

Argument with DH about watching TV and asking questions...?!

(75 Posts)
Pooshy Sat 07-Nov-15 20:59:53

We've been getting into a boxset, which is a treat as we have a baby and don't get out much so it's something fun we can do together

Tonight he suddenly got very irritated that I ask him questions about the storyline when I'm not following it/paying attention properly. But it's quite a hard story to follow! I admit I am a bit ditsy when it comes to this but that's how I am and if it means he has to help me with it sometimes so we can enjoy it together, whats the big deal?! I would do it for him and do loads of nice things for him every day!

AIBU?! We're not sitting in separate rooms and Ive been in tears...

Toffeelatteplease Sat 07-Nov-15 21:02:42

Are you asking him while you are watching it? That would drove me mad. I hate people who talk over stuff.

ThatsHowYouGetAnts Sat 07-Nov-15 21:04:37

Well you shouldn't be in tears over it, so in that respect HIBU. But I can see his point too. Are you paying attention? It would annoy me if you were fiddling with your phone or something and then asked me what was going on. Could you pause it when you need to ask a question? That's what I used to do when DP made me watch The Wire with him grin

What are you watching (nosy)?

Cel982 Sat 07-Nov-15 21:05:09

I think it's reasonable to ask, but for God's sake pause the TV first.

DiseasesOfTheSheep Sat 07-Nov-15 21:06:07

Drives me crackers when people can't follow a plot. But I am a grumpy git!

LuisSuarezTeeth Sat 07-Nov-15 21:06:34

Wut???? Trap shut when watching.

Sorry blush

Fairylea Sat 07-Nov-15 21:07:20

Surely this isn't worth tears!? What a shame for you sad

As long as you're not doing it non stop I don't think it's a big deal, sometimes me and dh pause something if one of us needs to say something.

ProfGrammaticus Sat 07-Nov-15 21:07:24

It is kind of annoying when people talk over the programme. Sorry.

Pooshy Sat 07-Nov-15 21:08:25

We're watching Narcos, v good

I always ask him to pause first, I prob only ask one question per episode! (I think anyway !)

elelfrance Sat 07-Nov-15 21:08:47

If you're talking over the programme, i would be really pissed too, my DH does this, and the end result is he hasn't understood cos he's not paying attention, then both of us miss a bit while he's bugging me to explain what he missed... drives me nuts!

canyou Sat 07-Nov-15 21:08:58

DP does this it drives me batty, watch it or dont watch it but dont expect me to do a running commentary when I am trying to follow a story line angry
Sorry Op I would not even let you use baby brain as an excuseblush

elelfrance Sat 07-Nov-15 21:11:47

ah just seen you pause the programme, so that's not too bad... though i still would loose patience having to explain something we've both just watched.... but maybe I'm just stroppy :-D

GloriaHotcakes Sat 07-Nov-15 21:14:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bigbuttons Sat 07-Nov-15 21:14:31

I hate people who talk over programmes. Stop talking and start listening .
Poor bloke. Pull yourself together.

Trills Sat 07-Nov-15 21:15:04

Does he believe that it's hard to follow?

Or does he think that you are not paying attention, and that you could follow it perfectly well but you are not bothering to do so.

redexpat Sat 07-Nov-15 22:01:31

OMG DH did this eith Homeland. We watched one episode together, he didnt really like it, so i carried on watching it by myself. But if he came in while i was watching he would ask really unclear questions like is he doing x? while there ere 3 men in the shot. In the end i told him to either watch it all with me, or stfu. He did the latter.

OP assuming youre on ML could you start rewatching during the day?

RunRabbitRunRabbit Sat 07-Nov-15 22:18:20

It is very very very annoying to ask questions during the show. It can really spoil the enjoyment of being happily absorbed in the story. And, yes, it implies that you haven't actually paid attention, after all, you have both seen exactly the same thing, so why would he have extra information.

What's so wrong with not quite following the story anyway? Just stay quiet and try to concentrate. Talk about it afterwards, not during. We usually discuss plot after good shows: it is fun.

Are you really in tears because your DH said he was irritated by you doing an irritating thing?

Duckdeamon Sat 07-Nov-15 22:23:53

Do you have a small baby?

If so, anyone who gets irritable because you're not attentive enough for their liking / don't follow something is being a dick.

Anyway, one interruption per episode seems reasonable IMO!

Arfarfanarf Sat 07-Nov-15 22:24:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Scarletforya Sat 07-Nov-15 22:26:23

Yabu. That is very irritating!

Dafspunk Sat 07-Nov-15 22:28:22

Narcos is bloody complicated. I'm losing the will with it.

wasonthelist Sat 07-Nov-15 22:38:14

I enjoyed Narcos but I watched it alone - I quite enjoy discussing plot points within reason, so I think he's B a little bit U, but it can be wearing if it's done to excess.

wasonthelist Sat 07-Nov-15 22:39:04

Since I was watching alone, I paused it a few times to see how the plot related to actual history by googling stuff.

PaulAnkaTheDog Sat 07-Nov-15 22:52:39

You're in tears?! hmm

AnnaMarlowe Sat 07-Nov-15 22:58:52

Sorry, my otherwise very nice MIL does this, it's teeth grindingly annoying.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: