Talk

Advanced search

To move because of this

(7 Posts)
Kittyfrickle Sat 07-Nov-15 19:15:28

This is more of a rant tbh just so peeved about this right now. I moved into a ground floor flat 2 months ago and I didn't think the noise levels would be that bad but oh my. The couple above are constantly screaming at each other, stomping around like children, cackling and screeching, coming in at 4am pissed and blasting loud shitty music all night. I can even hear them pissing ffs. Plus they have a massive dog that runs around all day and constantly whines/barks and drives me crazy. I asked them if they could keep it down and they just told me to feck off because they own the place. Now they make twice the noise on purpose. I am now moving out into a house because I just can't live like this, especially with a baby on the way. I feel like I am sharing my flat with other people the noise is that bad. It's so much hassle just settling into one place and then having to shift to another but it has to be done.

hefzi Sat 07-Nov-15 19:57:48

I had a neighbour like that once - but to be fair, he did use to warn me before his dominatrix came round, so I could be sure to be out shock

Some flats, especially new builds, are just shockingly poorly insulated: it doesn't excuse them not trying harder once you'd told them, mind you - don't blame you for looking to move.

MrsGradyOldLady Sat 07-Nov-15 20:00:03

I don't blame you at all. I couldn't enjoy living there either.

CrohnicallyAspie Sat 07-Nov-15 20:11:48

If you can hear them pissing then there's a good chance that they're not 'stomping around like children' or 'cackling and screeching' but merely walking around and having a voice that carries- in my old house, I could hear the neighbours pissing too, but I only ever heard one of the couples' voices and not the other, I assume it was the pitch or resonance or something. And are they really louder now, or are you more sensitive and less tolerant than you used to be?

I hope you get a bit more peace in your new place!

Kittyfrickle Sat 07-Nov-15 20:20:34

I've lived in flats below others before and the noise levels have never been this bad. The pissing part isn't really their fault (it's still not a nice thing to listen to whilst laid in bed though) but I can never hear them just walking or talking normally, I can only ever hear them shouting and stomping. Which is way too often. They genuinely argue like small children, imagine a child's tantrum stomp. They stomp that hard that it shakes the cabinet that my internal arial is on and I have to retune my tv (often up to 15 times a day) which is a pain in the arse. The music is the main problem. I'm often being woken at 4am by some loud, awful chart music and the female laughing and screeching horrendously. Their dog whines when they blast Ed Sheeran so at least I know he/she shares my pain.

Hassled Sat 07-Nov-15 20:22:27

Yes, move if you possibly can. It sounds horrendous.

CrohnicallyAspie Sat 07-Nov-15 20:29:44

What I'm saying is, if you can hear a relatively quiet sound like pissing, a naturally louder sound like walking is obviously going to be audible to you. And walking has the added 'bonus' of being in contact with their floor so is going to transmit more clearly to you! If you literally never hear 'normal' walking, perhaps it's because their normal walking sounds like stomping? Maybe they wear boots in the house with no carpet? Maybe they naturally walk 'heavily'?

With the music, the position of their speakers might be more of an issue than the volume. We had a powerful surround sound system with bass that our neighbour on that side couldn't hear. But then he wall mounted his TV and we could hear that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now