Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think cheese and beans on toast still counts for tea?

(103 Posts)
Seeyounearertime Sat 07-Nov-15 17:43:29

It's my DDs favourite tea by miles, she's only 2.5.
I figure if she has a balanced diet every other day then Cheese and beans with toast is fine on a Saturday night.
She has a slice of wholemeal bread, cut into soldiers and then half a tin of beans in a bowl with a little lighter mature cheddar.

Is that OK or should I be hung drawn and quartered? smile

HermanHedgehog Sat 07-Nov-15 17:45:31

I thought cheese and beans on toast was balanced? Carbs, pulses, dairy. I suppose you could add a veg of some sort but I dont think its bad meal at all.

formerbabe Sat 07-Nov-15 17:46:33

It's absolutely fine.

My dc have beans on toast once a week. I cut up some carrot and cucumber to go with it. Nothing wrong with it.

Seeyounearertime Sat 07-Nov-15 17:47:23

That's good then, I wonder what veg would go with bakes beans though? Maybe sprouts for extra power in the bottom burps? smile

Longdistance Sat 07-Nov-15 17:47:27

Yum! Nothing wrong with that.

I couldn't get veg into my dd at that age. The only thing she would eat was baked beans and sweet corn.

Looseleaf Sat 07-Nov-15 17:47:51

It sounds very healthy to me. It's even mentioned in a nutrition-focused book I have for the children, admittedly with homemade 'baked beans' which I've made a few times

LizzieMacQueen Sat 07-Nov-15 17:47:50

No need to use lighter cheese, at 2.5 the whole fat stuff will be okay for her.

fastdaytears Sat 07-Nov-15 17:48:06

What? That's a great dinner at any age. I love beans on toast.

ijustwannadance Sat 07-Nov-15 17:49:50

Sounds good to me.

LineyReborn Sat 07-Nov-15 17:50:47

Sounds really good.

ElderPrice Sat 07-Nov-15 17:51:36

My fav dinner when I'm 'home alone'...bliss!

Seeyounearertime Sat 07-Nov-15 17:52:46

Well I'll tell a nosy person to shish next time she looks at my DD with pity and says,
"Oo is that all?"

I had the same as DD too. I call it 'posh beans on toast' because I keep the bread on a small plate beside my bowl of cheesy beans.

BeverlyGoldberg Sat 07-Nov-15 17:55:10

Food of Kings

Spilose Sat 07-Nov-15 17:58:28

I Personally would give full fat cheese but it sounds fine to me

Missanneshirley Sat 07-Nov-15 17:59:05

Reading this eating (with my dc) cheesey beans on a baked potato. Yummmm! Would the potato count as the extra veg ? (Hopeful)

PuppyMonkey Sat 07-Nov-15 18:00:30

Cheese on beans on toast yanbu

Beans on cheese on toast - yabu

wink

m1nniedriver Sat 07-Nov-15 18:00:57

I thought cheese and beans on toast was balanced? Carbs, pulses, dairy. I suppose you could add a veg of some sort but I dont think its bad meal at all.

Mental image of cheesy beans on toast with a side of broccoli shock it's disturbing!

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Sat 07-Nov-15 18:02:03

beans count as 1 of your 5 a day.

Cheese is a dairy

Toast is carbs.

Add some orange juice to drink and it's a well balanced meal, and the food of good.

MammaTJ Sat 07-Nov-15 18:06:33

My DC had similar on Wednesday night, which is always a bit rushed. DD will not eat beans though, so hers was spaghetti hoops with sausages in, while DS had beans with sausages in. Neither like 'soggy toast' though, so it was not on toast, but with toast on the side. They loved it!

SocksRock Sat 07-Nov-15 18:08:17

We all had beans and cheese on toast for lunch here, including DH and I. Yum yum:-)

StellaAlpina Sat 07-Nov-15 18:08:44

Sounds good to me too, just add OJ or an apple for pudding if you want to give something extra that is healthy.

Seeyounearertime Sat 07-Nov-15 18:09:04

We buy lighter cheese because I'm a cheese munching machine.
The OH draws the line at having it on a roast dinner, which I think is outrageous because cheese in mashed potatoes is awesome, but I have it on almost everything.

It's a real problem that I should probably seek help for.
sad

TheoriginalLEM Sat 07-Nov-15 18:10:36

I remember going to another girl's house for tea when i was at primary school. We had this for tea and they called it "cheese Beanio" I thought it was the height of sophistication smile

Janeymoo50 Sat 07-Nov-15 18:12:16

Perfectly fine, one of my favourite teas is beans on toast with a poached egg on top (and brown sauce). There are many, many worse meals for a toddler. Tinned fruit and ice cream for pudding perhaps if you want another one of her 5 a day but honestly I'd probably not bother and give her a choc mousse ha ha.

ShamefulPlaceMarker Sat 07-Nov-15 18:13:05

Who has told you it's not?

I sometimes when I can be arsed mixed mashed seeet potato in to the beans, same colour so the kids don't notice smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: