Talk

Advanced search

to think this is the worst invite ever?

(87 Posts)
wecanbuthope Sat 07-Nov-15 14:58:53

To come over and watch a wedding video.

Yes I was there on the day and it was lovely.

Yes the millions of photos I saw after were lovely.

However I really really do not need to relive your wedding day a good 6 months after it happend.

Aibu?

SummerNights1986 Sat 07-Nov-15 15:00:33

Depends - if it's close family or a close friend yabu.

Distant friends - yanbu.

reni2 Sat 07-Nov-15 15:03:38

I watched a wedding video of a work colleague's partner's sister who I'd never met once. All 3 hours of it. Couldn't find the right moment to say I don't give a shit.

BondJayneBond Sat 07-Nov-15 15:07:15

When one of my work colleagues got her wedding video, she brought it into work, booked a meeting room over lunchtime, and invited everyone on our team to come and watch it during their lunch break.

Mintyy Sat 07-Nov-15 15:09:10

grin grin

God, some people are incredibly boring aren't they?

daisychain01 Sat 07-Nov-15 15:09:58

OK just give them their 3 yawny hours of glory, but that's it, that's their rations.

If there is a group of you sharing the joy together maybe it will be a bit more entertaining because you can all ham it up a bit and look intently at the screen and marvel at the dress, the makeup, the DH's cufflinks

WHATEEEEEEEVRRRRR

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Sat 07-Nov-15 15:10:53

I watched my brothers wedding video and bloody loved it and was emotional. I think yabu.

mammmamia Sat 07-Nov-15 15:14:10

Would be lovely if you were family or part of the wedding party. Random guest, not so much.
I have a big family and have loved occasionally watching someone's wedding video from 10 years ago or whatever at a family get together. Fun seeing how everyone's changed.

wecanbuthope Sat 07-Nov-15 15:16:58

Just to confirm I'm not family and I wasn't part of the wedding party either.

StarkyTheDirewolf Sat 07-Nov-15 15:17:04

I really wish I had a proper wedding video, I don't even have any pictures but other than my DM and at a push my Dsis and auntie, I doubt anyone else would be interested enough to come and sit through something like that! The only footage I have of my wedding is me and Dsis absolutely killing gangnam style and cotton eye Joe, which culminates in me falling over classy plastered bride that I was

wecanbuthope Sat 07-Nov-15 15:18:41

I have a big family and have loved occasionally watching someone's wedding video from 10 years ago or whatever at a family get together. Fun seeing how everyone's changed.

That would be pretty awesome.

wecanbuthope Sat 07-Nov-15 15:20:29

See I went to the engagement party, I went to the FOUR hen dos, I went through the wedding and sat through the father of the brides 45 minute speech!

I feel I've done my part grin

SolidGoldBrass Sat 07-Nov-15 15:21:43

Other people's wedding videos are much better viewed a few years later.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Sat 07-Nov-15 15:24:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BalloonSlayer Sat 07-Nov-15 15:25:37

I had to sit through someone dear to me's 4D pregnancy scan. It went on for ages.

I thought the baby looked scary. confused

Then they told me that it's not really what the baby looks like anyway, because of the way the programme works, it guesses what the features etc look like. So what's the point then?

Baby is now here and completely beautiful of course.

thefutureofpolitics Sat 07-Nov-15 15:26:33

Just think that it is nice to be invited, even if it might seem a bit boring. I think it is quite nice, get-togethers like this don't seem to be something people do a lot of these days. It could be worse, it could be a slideshow! hmm

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-hXUehyRlE

wecanbuthope Sat 07-Nov-15 15:27:42

It's the worst invitation ever.

Oh bore off will you?

Never understood why people do this?

Guess it makes them feel superior when in reality they just look like a knob.

NinaSimoneful Sat 07-Nov-15 15:29:26

Where have you been hope? This is absolutely a thing now. Gifts are generally brought to The Viewing too. Bottle of Champagne, fancy-pants vase (perhaps engraved, or matching Mr and Mrs passport covers are the traditional gifts if your hosts haven't included any gift registry info.

Do try to RSVP to the invite promptly so that the newlyweds can arrange a second round of invites if lots of first tier guests decline.

mumofthemonsters808 Sat 07-Nov-15 15:34:42

Not my cup of tea either, but I do have a low boredom threshold, so knowing me I would watch the first five minutes and then talk through the rest, which I imagine would go down like a lead balloon.

I'm visualising an old sitcom where the neighbours were invited round to watch a holiday shots film, the projector was running and everyone sat on chairs in rows. I can't for the life of me, remember any more details other than this clipping.

TheFormidableMrsC Sat 07-Nov-15 15:35:48

OP, there is another thread asking about worst invitations ever...it's also trending! I think you should post this in there too. I remember my parents being invited to watch the slides of somebody's 3 month long trip to Africa. It took 3 hours. It was an utter borefest in ever sense. My Mum drank a lot of wine smile

GoblinLittleOwl Sat 07-Nov-15 15:39:39

Evening to watch video of am-dram performance in which I reluctantly participated, plus re-runs of previous performances going back years.
All the best bits replayed.
And they do it every year.

DadDadDad Sat 07-Nov-15 15:40:35

I'm not sure I'd want to sit through a video of my own wedding! Maybe years later to refresh my memory.

WindyMillersProbationOfficer Sat 07-Nov-15 15:46:11

You could hold out hope that they had an amazing videographer who has managed to edit the footage to make their wedding look like a heist thriller or a zombie apocalypse movie?

ExBallerina Sat 07-Nov-15 16:07:30

If it's an amazing videographer as mentioned above, that'd be kinda fun.

Otherwise, no, I can't say I blame you in not wanting to go.

We did a same-day edit at our wedding so everyone watched what we did before the event itself. Done, no one ever needs to come over and watch it now wink

TheGonnagle Sat 07-Nov-15 16:08:08

I had to sit through a two hour slide show of the honeymoon of a couple I had just met that night. I nearly gnawed my arm off with boredom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now