Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think a soup and roll charity sale will still make as much money

(62 Posts)
chochomorello Sat 07-Nov-15 09:08:15

I'm organising a fundraiser for a health charity in December in the uk. Really want to make the products and emphasis on health. Aibu to suggest a soup and roll sale? We have enough soup yearns for 5 different types and obviously as much space for any rolls people can bake!

abbieanders Sat 07-Nov-15 09:10:24

Oh that'd be nice when the weather is cold. A bit different, too.

Horsemad Sat 07-Nov-15 09:11:45

Great idea and healthy too!

73dexter Sat 07-Nov-15 09:11:51

Yanbu to suggest it. It doesn't sound like something that I would rush to go to though!

Pointlessfan Sat 07-Nov-15 09:11:57

That sounds lovely, I'd buy soup and a roll.

SaucyJack Sat 07-Nov-15 09:12:16

I'd like that!

Bored of cake.

BugritAndTidyup Sat 07-Nov-15 09:15:20

As much money as cakes, you mean? I think it's a lovely idea, but not sure whether it would make as much money, because while people might buy a bowl of soup it doesn't have the same take-home appeal as cake: I.e. Buying lots of slices to take home to, er, 'share'.

What about selling loaves of bread alongside as well?

TotalPerspectiveVortex Sat 07-Nov-15 09:15:51

Yum! I love soup and a roll, I would buy it. Especially if you were selling then somewhere near work, at lunchtime!

hesterton Sat 07-Nov-15 09:16:34

Sounds perfect.

hesterton Sat 07-Nov-15 09:18:30

5 contrasting soups - you could do a pea and mint soup, a chunky veg soup, a spicy sausage soup, a chicken noodle one and a dhal type soup. I would struggle to choose.

AwakeCantSleep Sat 07-Nov-15 09:19:59

Great idea. Love soup. I rarely attend cake sales but would definitely come to a soup & roll one. May I suggest roasted butternut squash & bramley apple soup as one of the options (with a dash of double cream). And sourdough rolls if you can get them. Yummy....

Littleallovertheshop Sat 07-Nov-15 09:23:11

It's quite a difficult thing to do from a practical point of view (I've experience of this) but if you've got the setup then go for it. It's most likely to work in a church or workplace although bake sales continue to be most successful I find.

Birdsgottafly Sat 07-Nov-15 09:23:33

Depending on where your going to be selling them, a Veg/Dahl/Butternut squash soup could easily be made Vegan, which would also naturally be halal and low calorie etc.

Cookingongas Sat 07-Nov-15 09:24:03

YANBU. I'd love it. I hate and never attend cake sales as I've not got a sweet tooth. I would definitely go to a soup and roll sale and I'd take dc too. A cake sale always leaves dc full of cake, and I'm left with the do they/don't they need dinner as well issue. And I think the idea of selling loaves to take home is genius.

ExplodingCarrots Sat 07-Nov-15 09:28:24

Yes! Great idea.

chochomorello Sat 07-Nov-15 09:30:54

Difficult how so? We've got the 5 containers that we can use, can buy some recycled cups that hold soup. Can ever get a Starbucks type holder so people can take away a few portions in a bag and should keep treasonable warm.

It will be at a leisure centre in the afternoon / evening. I just feel really uncomfortable selling cakes for a health charity as it gives a conflicted message.

Was even thinking about selling a little "book" with healthy soup recipes for a pound to complement it.

chochomorello Sat 07-Nov-15 09:32:05

Loving the soup suggestions! Definitely I want it to be a rainbow of different colours!

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 07-Nov-15 09:35:01

I'd love it, I don't have a sweet tooth and find cake boring, homemade soup is lovely though.

RandomSocks Sat 07-Nov-15 09:37:25

I think "soup and roll" is a lovely idea. Very healthy and welcome on an autumn day.

All the same, I'd suggest still doing the cakes - much easier to transport, which means people can take some home, and homemade carrot cake or banana cake is not unhealthy for sporty teenagers. A cake is also much easier for someone to contribute, if you are splitting the cooking between a number of people.

YerTiz Sat 07-Nov-15 09:39:03

I'd buy soup and a roll! You could do some lovely different types of bread to go with it - cheese topped, herby, sun dried tomato etc. Doesn't have to be boring!

Arabidopsis Sat 07-Nov-15 09:39:50

I'd buy soup instead of lunch, whereas I'd buy cake as a treat so a mid afternoon soup sale when I'd already eaten my lunch wouldn't be very attractive.

Sighing Sat 07-Nov-15 09:44:20

We did it as part of a church winter fair. Sold out of all the yummy soups. It might depend on the time etc. But it did go very well when we tried. Donation cost is probably lower than making a fancy cake. I made a spicy (mildly) parsnip. Also the real winner was beetroot, horseradish & carrot.

OhBigHairyBollocks Sat 07-Nov-15 10:02:43

What a great idea! I'd buy it OP.

Shirtsleeves Sat 07-Nov-15 10:04:09

I think it's a great idea. I'd have soup and a roll as an afternoon snack, so it not being at meal time wouldn't bother me.

ohtheholidays Sat 07-Nov-15 10:04:46

I think it's a great idea,being near Christmas I'd make a special limited addition Christmas soup and some special rolls to go with it.

I think if you could get some containers so that people could buy a larger quantity of soup and rolls to take home that that would help your sells by alot.

The little soup book is a great idea as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now