Talk

Advanced search

for getting mad about noisy neighbours

(13 Posts)
EMRAY2 Sat 07-Nov-15 02:28:04

I live in the garden flat, and the flat above are having a happy Friday very loud party.
My dh went up few times asking them to put the noise down as dcs are trying to sleep.
The fourth time he went up he was so angry and had a go at one of the guys.
After that they were making the noise louder and on purpose this time. angry
I went at at 2am asking again nicely and explaining how the noise is horrible downstairs the guy who spoke to me pretended he just came home and promise he will tell them to stop.
When would u call the police at ur neighbor???

LineyReborn Sat 07-Nov-15 02:32:39

I honestly don't know if the Police will come out for noise, but I'd be emailing the council's noise team (environmental health) to get it on record in the morning.

Mmmmcake123 Sat 07-Nov-15 02:33:10

It can be difficult to judge but I think right now at 2.30 would be my limit. It will take til 3 to sort anyway so start now cake

TheBouquets Sat 07-Nov-15 02:34:16

when I had asked politely twice - I would call the police to ensure that nothing too nasty happened.

Mmmmcake123 Sat 07-Nov-15 02:34:22

Won't police come for antisocial behaviour (ie the noise)

Mmmmcake123 Sat 07-Nov-15 02:35:14

Good luck op

Senpai Sat 07-Nov-15 02:37:07

What are quiet hours? I'm shocked you have this much patience. I wouldn't have even talked to them, I'd have let law enforcement handle it so that it was ambiguous who made the complaint because I hate confrontation.

That said, I have a few noisy neighbors. I don't complain because I know I get loud with friends myself at night sometimes we personally get along and they have nice kids who humor my toddler. Although, the adults did wake her up the other night after coming home from a Halloween party and you have no idea how tempted I was to peddle some free puppies and chocolate covered espresso beans to their children.

Unreasonablebetty Sat 07-Nov-15 02:43:49

Good luck OP, I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to next door.
There have been many weekends I've packed up our family and ran off to MILS house for the weekend away from their noise,
But I would go by the rule of if I had young kids between 10-11
If not, and it was just us between 12-1
And even then I think you'd be being well beyond reasonable to them.

EMRAY2 Sat 07-Nov-15 02:46:11

I didnt think of calling the police as i know they are uni student and it feels like they need to have fun and its not their fault that am not out partying myself. But when it is late and a nice neighbor ask to put music down the least they can do is putting it down. One of them was shouting its fucking music everybody listen to music.
It kind of feel like a movie where a new parents were against the young loud neighbor

TiredButFineODFOJ Sat 07-Nov-15 03:11:40

Can you find out the contact details for the landlord or agency, and complain to them? We had some students round here like that, yes everyone has the odd late night with music but turning it up when people complain (and on a Tuesday ffs) did lead to them being booted out (also it was an illegal sub let)

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sat 07-Nov-15 04:31:45

They can go put and have fun instead of being drunken arseholes and inflicting their "fun" on other people. I would complain definitely.

hannibalismisunderstood Sat 07-Nov-15 10:25:10

Complain to the uni. Students have to abide by set conduct regulations in the community and they will have a word (I work at a uni....), if they keep doing it keep reporting to the uni and they can impose sanctions on them.

LineyReborn Sat 07-Nov-15 10:32:05

If they are university students then you can complain directly to the university too, as well as the Council. How to do that will be on the university website if you Google it.

Normally a noise becomes a nuisance if it is loud - e.g. loud music, raised voices - between 11pm and 7 am.

Where I am, the Police won't come out for party noise alone but advise the actions above ^^. They will only attend if the party has spilled out onto the street or there is some kind of disturbance or threatening behaviour, or suspicion of drug use.

On the other hand, the Council and university take it all seriously and are very quick with action once they receive reports.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now