Talk

Advanced search

to think my neighbours think I'm stupid?

(60 Posts)
CrystalQueen Fri 06-Nov-15 22:28:31

Our TV signal disappeared during the week. Tonight DH went out with a torch to investigate and discovered that the cable to our aerial has been cut, and attached to a cable going into our downstairs neighbours' flat instead. Did they think we couldn't figure it out? I have a PhD FFS.

Previous encounters include the request to phone them a taxi at 7.30am, and the unforgettable use of their living room window as a door after locking themselves out (and leaving their smashed bathroom window unrepaired for three months with just a bit of cardboard in the way. They live in the ground floor). And of course the time my DH had to go down to find out why their smoke alarm had been going off for ages, to find their keys in the door, the door open and the inhabitants passed out drunk.

MammaTJ Fri 06-Nov-15 22:31:17

I don't think they 'think' you are stupid, as that would imply that they are capable of owning a thought process!

You are giving them too much credit!

Move?

MaidOfStars Fri 06-Nov-15 22:32:15

Ha. You have a PhD. Exactly how useful was that in the whole investigation? Sounds like your DH did the detective work. wink

Teasing aside, that sounds....delightful. Can you move?

whatdoIget Fri 06-Nov-15 22:33:41

It sounds more like they just don't give a shit what you think really. How very annoying of them! Cheeky sods angry

CrystalQueen Fri 06-Nov-15 22:41:03

Yes my science background was really useful... Just can't believe the cheek!

BonzoDooDah Fri 06-Nov-15 23:02:33

Niiiiiiice. They sound really classy.

StrawberryTeaLeaf Fri 06-Nov-15 23:06:41

Did they think we couldn't figure it out? I have a PhD FFS

hmm

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Fri 06-Nov-15 23:12:09

Did they think we couldn't figure it out? I have a PhD FFS

I don't have a PhD and I think I could have figured it out grin

Do they own the flat or rent it? Contact their landlord if they rent.

I would think they could be charged with criminal damage or something, but it depends if you want to make a bad situation more awkward by calling the police?

StrawberryTeaLeaf Fri 06-Nov-15 23:19:12

Calling the cable company might be a good idea. They might take their own action.

Not many cable engineers have PhDs, however, so maybe you don't want to risk it?

Sparklingbrook Fri 06-Nov-15 23:33:24

Can't you unattach it?

GruntledOne Fri 06-Nov-15 23:47:22

Call the police. They're bang to rights for criminal damage and theft.

Sweetsweetjane Sat 07-Nov-15 13:55:29

PhD stealth boast. Wholly irrelevant. Perhaps if you'd have studied criminology, forensics or even TV installation it might add some weight to your exclamation.

GothJoose Sat 07-Nov-15 14:02:55

Op was just making a point rather than stealth boasting

Your neighbours sound vile. Report to cable company if a paid service. If just terrestrial, disconnect your neighbours and have yours repaired (and pop an invoice through their letter box)

paulapompom Sat 07-Nov-15 14:10:55

Are they worried about missing their forthcoming appearance on Jeremy Kyle? <MEOW, catty, saucer of milk for me>.

Seriously it's theft, and sounds dangerous. They sound a nightmare.

thornrose Sat 07-Nov-15 14:12:53

Surely the PhD mention was tongue in cheek?

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Sat 07-Nov-15 14:17:11

grin at people getting uppity about OP's mention of having a PHD.

Scremersford Sat 07-Nov-15 14:20:20

They cut your tv aerial cable and hooked it up to their house? Wow, that's in a whole new category of awful neighbours!

Is it cable tv? Imagine Jeremy Kyle or similar doing a feature on them while they were actually watching themselves on tv!

Seeyounearertime Sat 07-Nov-15 14:23:51

I have PHD too.
Polisher, Hoover and Duster. grin

BusShelter Sat 07-Nov-15 14:52:20

That's hilarious. Hope you took photos. Are you going to speak to them?

...and don't worry OP it was clear your PhD reference was light hearted smile

Oldraver Sat 07-Nov-15 15:08:04

The question is...have you cut them off yet ?

laffymeal Sat 07-Nov-15 15:23:02

Are you Ned Flanders, your neighbours sound like Homer Simpson

Leelu6 Sat 07-Nov-15 15:23:10

Yes, OP, have you cut their cable??

LookAtAllThesePhucksIGive Sat 07-Nov-15 15:32:13

Is this a reverse?

<runs away>

PegsPigs Sat 07-Nov-15 15:36:31

No but clearly your neighbours are. "I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for Crystal following the cut cable to our house..."

StrawberryTeaLeaf Sat 07-Nov-15 17:06:50

Nah, it's a wind-up.

Nobody who knows enough PhDs would think that having one was necessarily suggestive of developed common sense or 'street smarts' or be crass enough to announce 'I have a PhD FFS grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now