Talk

Advanced search

To really miss the baby years?

(74 Posts)
SurlyCue Fri 06-Nov-15 20:55:09

Everyone i know thinks i'm mad and wouldnt go back to it but i really loved it. I miss it so much and a quite a few friends have recently had babies which has made me even more broody than usual.
Yes the lack of sleep was hard but tbh i sleep worse now than i ever did with babies. I miss those days so much. The cuddles, the smell, the little babbles, the pram, the bathtimes, the joy at pretty much anything brightly coloured, i miss it all. I cant be the only one. Am i?

SummerMonths Fri 06-Nov-15 20:59:15

I loved it too although the exhaustion was relentless. I adore new borns though and that obsessive love I felt with each new baby.

Moohoomeltdown Fri 06-Nov-15 21:04:42

It's a personal thing so I can't say yabu but I'm thinking it wink The lack of sleep, the endless feeds, the whining, the monotony, the guilt, the anxiety, the clinging, the endless days and longer nights. Ah the voice of PND smile

SurlyCue Fri 06-Nov-15 21:05:18

I just want to sit forever cuddling a newborn and smelling it and blabbering silly noises to it. I have a cough ATM and couldnt even hold my friend's baby this week when i saw them. sad

SurlyCue Fri 06-Nov-15 21:08:46

Do you know, I had really awful PND with Ds2 and still (6 years later) suffer from depression but i still loved the baby stuff. I hated the world around me and very much isolated myself but i loved the hands on baby stuff. I just didnt like myself or anyone else grin

JoeMommuh Fri 06-Nov-15 21:08:55

How old are yours now? I can only imagine the years have tainted your memories!

I have a 1 and 3 year old. I'm pregnant so we will have this hard work for a while longer yet. Yes it can be lovely but don't romantasise it. Parts of it are really shit.

NantucketNightbird Fri 06-Nov-15 21:11:27

I'm with you. I miss it all, the pregnancy, the coach built pram the traditional clothes. I want a baby so bad but DH is having none of it. I've even started crocheting the call the midwife blanket and I'm obsessively watching obem confused blush

SurlyCue Fri 06-Nov-15 21:13:43

Mine are 10 and 6. Ds2 has some issues which mean i'm still dealing with bum wiping and tantrums, but i cant say they put me off wanting another baby.

Moohoomeltdown Fri 06-Nov-15 21:17:40

I think I know what you mean, i adored DS, he amazed me every day and I cherished him but when I look back I actually feel fear and dread. Oh god, I think I have some unresolved issues....and I'm pregnant....

OP, kick the cold then get that friend's baby for a lovely, squidgy cuddle smile

SurlyCue Fri 06-Nov-15 21:20:25

Yes i shall be having loads of cuddles as soon as i'm safe again.

DS2 is still at that stage where he is adorable when he sleeps but his feet are no longer edible. I really miss edible feet and chubby legs.

CupofBoo Fri 06-Nov-15 21:23:32

My DS is 8 months and we're both wishing we could freeze him at this age. He's so beautiful.

CPtart Fri 06-Nov-15 21:24:19

No. Mine are 12 and 10 and so much more enjoyable in almost every way. DS2 still likes to cuddle and has his own distinctive smell.

SurlyCue Fri 06-Nov-15 21:36:49

My DS is 8 months and we're both wishing we could freeze him at this age. He's so beautiful.

Yes!! This is it exactly. I remember constantly saying and thinking i wish i could freeze them right now.

My DC are a lot of fun now, they have a sense of humour (it helps with me as a mother grin) they are so kind and helpful, they are funny and mischievous on older ways than when they were babies. I still miss the baby years. Perhaps i'll feel the same about the pre teen years when they are teens?

laffymeal Fri 06-Nov-15 21:39:00

Fucking hated baby and toddler stage, got 14 and 18 now, it's bliss, a joy.

RoseWithoutAThorn Fri 06-Nov-15 22:01:38

Nope, I don't miss the baby years. I had 4 under 5 so definitely don't miss the years of sleepless nights. Mine are all 20s now and I still remember the hell of no sleep and unbroken sleep. As for pregnancy, well, mine were all shit with endless morning sickness. The twins were the worst. I don't think DH and I had a coherent conversation for over a year after the twins were born.

Goodness knows how the ladies on here with PND coped flowers

OgreIt Fri 06-Nov-15 22:09:24

Yanbu. My ds2 is 9 months and I can feel his babyhood beginning to pass as he starts to move and become more interested in the world beyond me (and my books). It's delightful to watch but I know I'm going to desperately miss having a baby in the house...a new born asleep on my chest, a big baby dozing in my arms, the baby chuckles at simple silly games, the joy in splashing in the bath, those delicious chunky thighs and edible feet, meeting up with baby group friends with our prams (I do love a pram). My older child is 5 and still a delight but definitely no edible feet and not quite so impressed by peekaboo!

SurlyCue Fri 06-Nov-15 22:21:11

Oh yes the prams! Mine is sitting in my bedroom. I have been building myself up to getting rid of it for 2 years now. blush

PacificDogwod Fri 06-Nov-15 22:24:36

YANBU to feel whatever you are feeling, just don't expect me to feel it too! grin

I am so happy that I have left all that behind: full nights' sleep, the only tantrums here are DH's wink, the only poo I have to deal with is DDog's and I can have reasonable conversation with every member of my family. Well, some of the time anyway.
I only accepted I had to have babies in order to have children - annoying little things they were! wink

LockTheTaskBar Fri 06-Nov-15 22:31:46

I find my children so incredibly rewarding at the ages they are now (4 and 6) and I do not miss the baby years in terms of what we did all day at all. I love that they have much longer attention spans and will sit and do things, so we get the stuff out, set it up, get on with it - I yearned for that when they were babies as life was this awful bitty procession of unsatisfactory and physically demanding moments where with older children you get into things. I love it.

But - I miss something about the baby years. I think the newness, the hope, the bubble of things being different and unfolding and the - yes the newness I think. I feel weary of many things now, mainly "d"p and perhaps it is that that I miss - before I had given up on him, I suppose just being absorbed with the babies and accepting the empty relationship as a sort of normal blip rather than an unstoppable downward trajectory

OMGBabyNo3 Fri 06-Nov-15 22:34:42

It is wonderful, truly wonderful but as I sit hear with DS 7 weeks looking forward to another night of no more than 3 hours sleep (if I'm lucky!) in a row I feel you may be liking but with rose tinted glasses a little ??????

CupboardOfBacon Fri 06-Nov-15 22:36:55

I have a 9 and a half year gap between my ds's, the youngest has just turned one. With the hindsight I have on it knowing how quickly they grow up I have made sure I really appreciate every squishy baby cuddle. It's such a short amount of time before they become their own person

LockTheTaskBar Fri 06-Nov-15 22:50:07

I looked after a newborn baby the other day for a couple of hours and it was terrifying and draining. Admittedly mostly because it was not my baby, I hardly knew the guy, didn't really know when he had last slept or eaten and I understood it was not de rigeur to shove a boob in his mouth (as I would with my own)

He was very sweet with a lovely soft head, but it didn't make me broody (partly of course because my babies were the best ever and no other babies are quite the same)

SurlyCue Fri 06-Nov-15 22:59:38

YANBU to feel whatever you are feeling, just don't expect me to feel it too! grin

grin fair enough.

I think i miss the simpleness of it. No homeworks to check and sign. No extra curricular to run round the roads to. No school mate squabbles. No screen time to limit.

Just "ahhh bubbles! Loook. Ahhh. Pop. Ooohhh." They didnt care if jimmy who sat beside them got a star for his good work and you didnt so that means he'll get to bring home the class teddy and its never your turn. grin

KatieLatie Fri 06-Nov-15 23:28:13

I miss it too. DS was actually a very easy baby (with sleeping and feeding etc). The toddler years were pretty easy too: he was non-stop but emotionally easy. At 5, DS is harder work...

Would love another baby (although it might not be so easy...)

wiltingfast Fri 06-Nov-15 23:35:07

omg i LOVED my babies smile

feckin toddlers were pretty awful though, don't miss those years AT ALL

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now