Talk

Advanced search

To put an orange in this car exhaust?

(34 Posts)
ThomasRichard Fri 06-Nov-15 19:04:01

Just about joking but not for much longer.

Muppet over the road has got himself a souped up banger with an extra-loud exhaust. He works shifts so gets back at 5 in the morning and sits in his car for 20 minutes revving the engine. It sounds like the start line at a motorbike race.

WIBU to stick an orange in it to go out in my fluffy pink dressing gown at 5am and tell him to shut up?

BockCadger Fri 06-Nov-15 19:22:39

YABU and harmful to an orange.

Is it a really shit car as well? They usually are.

Palomb Fri 06-Nov-15 19:23:27

Potatoes are cheaper than oranges.

nocoolnamesleft Fri 06-Nov-15 20:07:32

Oranges are not the only fruit.

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 06-Nov-15 20:08:18

Potatoes are better.

cranberryx Fri 06-Nov-15 20:14:22

Maybe you could leave a well meaning note with a local mechanics number, telling him he needn't be ashamed of his exhaust and drive at night and that this really good mechanic will fix it for him.

The cheerier and more oblivious seeming the better!

RandomMess Fri 06-Nov-15 20:18:36

Any chance it's not even legal and you could you know ask the police via 101 to have a word...

Gruntfuttock Fri 06-Nov-15 20:31:50

Why would anyone do that? Rev the engine for 20 mins I mean. confused

SistersOfPercy Fri 06-Nov-15 21:35:07

I had exactly the same issue only my knob head left for work at half three and sat flicking through cds, warming the car, being a tit etc. Could be half an hour some mornings.

I tried having a word, he'd see the door open and floor it so I called our local psco who came and had a chat about anti social behaviour. Worked wonderfully.

He's moved now, he's probably your neighbour grin

Mypubesarestraight Fri 06-Nov-15 21:42:28

Put dog shit under the rim of the door handle.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Fri 06-Nov-15 21:44:42

Don't waste an orange expanding foam works far better

Bishboshbash Fri 06-Nov-15 21:45:24

I have a neighbour like this too, he drives a souped up mini...so macho. I was considering the potato in the exhaust after he woke my toddler again. So in which case YANBU.

ThomasRichard Fri 06-Nov-15 22:55:09

grin you all have such wisdom.

It's a Micra with blacked-out windows... He's perfectly lovely to speak to but he is such an anti-social driver. First off, he had umpteen work vans/minibuses all parked on the road (all on-street parking here) so there were never any spaces, then he started parking up over the grass verge so it got churned to mud and now this Micra, which not only does he sit in for hours but also manages to park in the middle of two spaces so again causes parking problems for other people.

To give the full story, so far in this 6-year parking Cold War I've put a fake parking ticket on his van (hilarious and we laughed about it together) and got the council to put bollards along the grass so everyone didn't have to traipse through mud to get to their car. I think the 5am me might finally convince him to turn to cycling,

Hassled Fri 06-Nov-15 22:59:45

He needs to feel the Wrath of God. Forget the exhaust - go out there, wild-eyed and crazy haired, and lob the oranges at his head.

ThomasRichard Fri 06-Nov-15 23:11:18

Might work but I'd feel obliged to pick up the oranges and take him apology chocolates later.

TheCokeMachine Sat 07-Nov-15 00:17:02

I did that once with potatoes. Neighbours had a 4x4 and used to row all day and night. After about three months I was at the end of my rope.

They would each threaten to leave and then rev the car for 20 minutes while screaming and shouting at each other until 2am.

One day I had a day off work, so went out at 4am, rammed four baking potatoes up their oversized exhaust pipe and gave them a good shove up with my vileada supermop. Then a squirt of mastic for good luck (courtesy of my hunky builder boyfriend).

Next day the rows started at 9am, by 9:39 the RAC were there towing the jeep. I was only 24, don't judge lol. They moved out two weeks later. I am 42 now and would just go round and tell them to pack it in. I can still hear her whining voice and that V4 engine revving.

AdjustableWench Sat 07-Nov-15 02:33:00

CokeMachine grin grin grin

Babbafish Sat 07-Nov-15 03:36:14

Ba ha ha Coke!!!!!!

ChiefInspectorBarnaby Sat 07-Nov-15 07:00:18

Taking notes Coke...grin

Lweji Sat 07-Nov-15 07:09:11

There is a law about noise....
And there is a decibel limit during the night.
And anti-social orders.

Do go on your best crazed woman impression, and point these out to them.

But... a supped up Micra? Really? I'd be taking the piss out of them too. Micras are cute cars. Not to be supped up.

VocationalGoat Sat 07-Nov-15 07:10:30

cokemachine that is brilliant! grin
FFS a Micra... it's always some piece of sh*t masquerading as a car.

ToastedOrFresh Sat 07-Nov-15 07:27:34

We used to have neighbours opposite us whom I nick named, 'Formula One'. They had a road going Subaru saloon car. The guy would start the engine at 6.30am and then leave it for at least fifteen minutes whilst, I assume, waiting for the engine to warm up and the oil to come up to pressure or whatever.

If the car engine is so sensitive, why is it on the public road ? It should be on a trailer of some sort.

Oh, they'll sell the car one day I thought, y'know, like most people do. Nope.

It wasn't that bad because our alarm went off at 6.30am however, listening to it EVERY MORNING for the ten years that we lived in that house got a little grating to say the least. In fact, I assume he worked in education of some sort as his hours seemed to be term time.

I laughed out loud and applauded The Coke Machine, especially the part where you shoved the potato up the exhausted with a mop handle. Inspired !

derxa Sat 07-Nov-15 07:33:20

Coke Machine grin grin

PunkrockerGirl Sat 07-Nov-15 07:35:46

Loving your work, CokeMachine grin

frangipani13 Sat 07-Nov-15 07:45:42

A micra? Bah hs ha ha ha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now