Talk

Advanced search

People who say "oh bless ME!!"

(40 Posts)
Imknackeredzzz Fri 06-Nov-15 07:33:37

I know I'm being unreasonable - but I'm not into the whole "bless you " when people sneeze thing. At least not all the time.

It really aggravates me when someone sneezes around me and if I don't say it- I get th the 'death stare!' And then usually a loud "bless ME!!!"...to make a point!

Just go away wth your germs!!!!

chelle792 Fri 06-Nov-15 07:35:17

I bless myself when I sneeze blush even when I'm in an empty room on my own grin

imnottoofussed Fri 06-Nov-15 07:35:37

I agree, I work in a small office and one guy sneezes about ten times a day. If no one says it he says it himself. What I think is blow your nose after sneezing once and you might not sneeze again idiot I'm not blessing you all day grin

RufusTheReindeer Fri 06-Nov-15 07:42:58

I say bless me, i dont care if no one else blesses me

I sneeze AFTER i blow my nose...i just think its easily irritated

Imknackeredzzz Fri 06-Nov-15 07:55:08

Oh and don't even get me started on those people who bless animals!!!!!

TheCunnyFunt Fri 06-Nov-15 07:57:16

DD (4) says 'bless you me!' grin grin

ShebaShimmyShake Fri 06-Nov-15 07:59:39

I say 'bless you' when my cat sneezes because it makes me and my husband laugh. If you don't like that, we'll find a way to cope.

Narp Fri 06-Nov-15 08:07:58

I think you may be misinterpreting, OP

I don't say it to shame anyone else, I just say it

Laststop Fri 06-Nov-15 08:17:52

My dh blesses total strangers it grates on me so much

museumum Fri 06-Nov-15 08:19:39

I sometimes say it because it seems rude to say nothing but "pardon me" or "sorry" don't seem quite right.

Imknackeredzzz Fri 06-Nov-15 09:27:37

Don't get me wrong I don't mind when people say it- but it's when they look at you like your devil for now saying "bless you" and then make a big deal about accentuating the "bless ME!" Part!

munkisocks Fri 06-Nov-15 09:30:11

I saw excuse me not bless me

Apartridgeamongstthepidgeons Fri 06-Nov-15 09:59:17

I say"excuse me" too, would seem kind of weird not to acknowledge it in anyway it's just basic manners. Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if some body didn't say "bless you" to me though.

MissBattleaxe Fri 06-Nov-15 10:03:39

If you don't like that, we'll find a way to cope

Great response. That's what I think too. It's a really tiny thing and no harm is ever meant or intended by it.

reni2 Fri 06-Nov-15 10:08:52

If people insist I bless their bodily functions they will get their farts and burps blessed, too.

mileend2bermondsey Fri 06-Nov-15 10:12:49

I 'bless' other people when they sneeze, or say 'salute' at work were nearly everyone speaks Italian. I 'excuse' myself when I sneeze. I think its rude to ignore someones sneezing, but also that you only need to bless the first sneeze, not the 10 after.

OliviaDunham Fri 06-Nov-15 11:13:27

I'm sure there's some daft story about it, but I don't "bless" people and don't want to be "blesses" either. I will say excuse me though as its polite.

RebootYourEngine Fri 06-Nov-15 11:21:06

Mileend -Why is it rude to not say bless you when someone sneezes?

I say excuse me when i sneeze. Even when im alone.

HairySubject Fri 06-Nov-15 11:24:41

I say bless me but just through force of habit. I am not religious at all and don't believe in the devil. A lady once told me that we say Bless you because a sneeze is the devil trying to escape. I don't know if that's true or of she was just nuts.

DaggerEyes Fri 06-Nov-15 11:25:57

I got told off for not thanking the blesser immediately once. I hate all this formulaic human interaction.

mileend2bermondsey Fri 06-Nov-15 11:33:38

Reboot I dont really understand your question? Like you, when I sneeze I say excuse me. When someone elses sneezes I bless them. Its rude just to ignore it because thats social convention we have in this culture?

ShebaShimmyShake Fri 06-Nov-15 11:34:46

It's from the time of the plague when sneezing was a very early sign, and people tried to protect you by blessing you when you sneeze.

I don't think anyone these days sincerely believes you will suffer any harm if you aren't blessed on sneezing, but that's not the point. It's just become something polite that you say, just manners. I wouldn't get bent out of shape if people didn't say it to me, but I certainly think it's more polite if you do.

I've never heard a 'bless me' but then I always say 'bless you'. Just reflex. Just habit. Just a bit more polite. Not a big deal.

WindyMillersProbationOfficer Fri 06-Nov-15 11:35:41

Ostentatious self-blessers are usually also people who cry by waggling their hands in front of their face.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Fri 06-Nov-15 11:36:33

If people insist I bless their bodily functions they will get their farts and burps blessed, too.

Well unless a fart and burp are reported signs of bubonic plague problem not!

I know there's some dispute wether bless you does actually come from sneezing being a sign of the plaque, and bless you was bless your after life.

I normally just say sorry when I sneeze, it interrupts the conversation so sorry is an approite response!

badtime Fri 06-Nov-15 11:39:38

mileend, I'm not English, and I am an atheist. Am I still rude if I don't 'bless' a sneezer?

I'm not going to do it either way, but I'd like to know how intolerant you are of other people's cultures and beliefs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now