Talk

Advanced search

drivers who 'edge out' onto the main road

(45 Posts)
southeastastra Thu 05-Nov-15 21:02:37

now is this now okay to do this on a main busy road? i drive down a few roads that contain private schools and the always nearly women drivers always drive out onto the main road so I have to slow down to let them out.(otherwise i would plough into them obv)

This road is a 40 mph road not a small side road so imo it's pretty dangerous yet they do it all the time.

it's unreasonable isn't it? can anyone defend that behaviour?

jeavcike Thu 05-Nov-15 21:04:16

Sometimes you have to stick your nose out on a busy road or else you'd be sat there waiting all day.

Seeyounearertime Thu 05-Nov-15 21:04:57

YANBU its dangerous and stupid of them.
They do it because they know people have to slow or stop and let them out, instead of being patient.
I've almost come a cropper a few times with this behaviour.

jeavcike Thu 05-Nov-15 21:05:53

I was taught to do so in my driving lessons. The instructor used to call it "peep and creep".

WaitrosePigeon Thu 05-Nov-15 21:08:27

I live on a main road. I do this every time I leave my driveway otherwise people would never let me out, so I don't give them the choice these days.

Collaborate Thu 05-Nov-15 21:10:56

YANBU. It's dangerous and illegal.

twirlypoo Thu 05-Nov-15 21:10:58

Sometimes you could sit there all day if you weren't a bit pushy. I used to drive in London a lot with my job (after coming from a quiet northern town) I learnt sharpish to just go for it or i would have been stuck on my drive all day!

ShatnersKaBOOM Thu 05-Nov-15 21:11:40

It's just part of driving on congested roads. You have to creep out sometimes, and sometimes you have to slow to let people out into busy moving traffic.

TwoTwoOneBravo Thu 05-Nov-15 21:12:39

It's unavoidable sometimes. I live in an area where people are always parked right on the corner of roads. You literally can't see anything on the main from behind the white lines on side streets. Creeping out is less than ideal but you can't realistically do anything else.

BrianCoxReborn Thu 05-Nov-15 21:13:48

My parents live on a road off a busy A road.

I've been sat there 3 or 4 mins without any sign of a break in the traffic. You have to edge out.

In return, when someone edges out in front of me, I let them go..it takes about 2 seconds off my journey time.

I used to be road rage queen. Then I had counselling for unrelated MH problems and happened to apply the thought processes to driving.

It's made driving much less stressful. Of course there are times when utter cockwombles rile me, but I'd say 95%/of fellow motorists are just in a bubble and venting anger at them for small driving errors is futile.

ApplesTheHare Thu 05-Nov-15 21:16:02

YABVU. It's the only way to get out of a recessed junction. People are taught how to do it safely during driving lessons. If you're driving on the main road it's your responsibility to look out for hazards.

BubsandMoo Thu 05-Nov-15 21:17:03

Oh dear, women drivers hey (sarcasm hmmangry)

Agree with otherw in some circumstances it is necessary. I hate doing it, but there are 2 roads I have to turn on to regularly on my commute that unless you do this, you'd be there for ever. Also driving in London, unfortunately! I'd rather not.

Gulsink Thu 05-Nov-15 21:17:33

As above poster says. The peep and creep method is perfectly acceptable and advised for times of reduced visibility such as parked cars stopping you from seeing if any traffic is coming.
But i'm sure some people abuse it buy instantly poking their nose out to force their way across.

southeastastra Thu 05-Nov-15 21:19:53

it's not a congested road, busy yes not not without enough gaps, it's a fast road not a small residential area. there has already been a fatality this year.

I was too taught to edge out to go right when there was a safe middle lane to stay in until there is space to move into the lane.

perhaps i need counselling to make me more accepting of idiots

caravanista13 Thu 05-Nov-15 21:20:06

Often unavoidable. So few drivers slow down to let others in, you have to be a bit assertive. X

LunchpackOfNotreDame Thu 05-Nov-15 21:22:02

It's people who crawl down slip roads that get me. I hate being behind these twats as they join a 70mph A or M road at 30mph or less!

BubsandMoo Thu 05-Nov-15 21:23:21

Well, to badly paraphrase, you can't change the idiots, only your reaction to the idiots grin

ShatnersKaBOOM Thu 05-Nov-15 21:26:51

I don't mean congested to the point of being at a standstill, I mean so busy it prevents a free flow of traffic. For example, when vehicles struggle to pull out of a junction into moving traffic.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 05-Nov-15 21:29:20

The main road I have to turn onto to get to work is not congested when I leave for work, just busy. Very good visibility, drivers can see me waiting for at least 200m in each direction. Some mornings I have to sit there for a good 5 minutes because not a single one is courteous enough to slow down and make a gap for me. They just zoom along looking straight ahead (and for the most part speeding). So some days I have to creep out.

Maybe look out for them and just pull back a little to let them out, then it wouldn't happen so often. Courtesy on the roads works both ways.

fastdaytears Thu 05-Nov-15 21:30:37

I was taught "creep and peep" too. Only if you can't see properly from behind the line though. Sorry if I've been enraging everyone.

SoupDragon Thu 05-Nov-15 21:30:59

What has the fact that the road has private schools got to do with anything? Absolutely nothing.

ThursdayLastWeek Thu 05-Nov-15 21:31:17

always nearly women ?!

Are nearly women worse drivers than actual whole women? wink

fastdaytears Thu 05-Nov-15 21:31:34

It's MN. 5 points for getting an entitled private school mum into the post.

southeastastra Thu 05-Nov-15 21:33:10

welll it does soupy as they congest the roads and drive like twats

AnotherDame Thu 05-Nov-15 21:36:07

Peep and Creep is only when you can't see that it's clear. So at a junction surrounded by parked cars, you creep out until you can see it's clear. If there is another car you should be going slowly enough and only out on the road a bit so they should have a chance to stop. The high number of parked cars should mean other drivers are being cautious too and ready for someone coming out of the junction.

Just inching out onto a fast, busy road to get in the traffic instead of waiting for a gap is rude and dangerous :/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now