Talk

Advanced search

Is this Odd? (Firework related)

(18 Posts)
Seeyounearertime Thu 05-Nov-15 20:16:41

My DD is only 2.5yo so undecided that instead of going to a display tonight we'd just go for a walk to a nearby high part of town and look out across the town.
Whilst we were there an older lady walked by and said hello to the DD and asked what we were doing, cause we were just stood there I guess.
She laughed and seemed to think it odd? I thought it'd be a nicer way to get DD used to fireworks than just going to a display etc? grin

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 05-Nov-15 20:17:47

None of her business, nosy cow.

Annecyinyourpantsy Thu 05-Nov-15 20:20:30

I think it sounds lovely.

Milkand2sugarsplease Thu 05-Nov-15 20:23:11

Far better to have a view of all the displays going on. Ignore her.

blueballoon79 Thu 05-Nov-15 20:24:26

Well if it's odd, then I'm odd as I've done the same with my children in the past.

FishOn Thu 05-Nov-15 20:29:48

I bloody love fireworks and years ago I'd had the flu and was too ill to go 'properly' as our local one was a trek to get to...

So DH drove us to a really high pub car park nearby and we took the roof down on our old car so we could sit and watch.

we were far from alone grin

Seeyounearertime Thu 05-Nov-15 20:32:25

FishOn. Are you sure the others were watching fireworks and not dogging? Lol grin

I'm glad noone thinks its odd.
Her exact words were,
"Well I've never known anyone do that before"
I'd say she was odd then smile

FishOn Thu 05-Nov-15 20:37:22

haha well most of them were standing about or sitting on a little wall, so I think were were ok haha grin

OhBigHairyBollocks Thu 05-Nov-15 20:39:07

My mum used to take us to the church yard as it stands on a massive hill- you can see every firework display in about 3 towns up there!! Great fun. One of my best memories

Quietlifenotonyournelly Thu 05-Nov-15 20:55:33

I don't think that you're odd at all.
We used to have our fireworks then take the DCs for a drive around to look at other fireworks going off in the area.

Heatherplant Thu 05-Nov-15 20:57:42

We do that! We drive up to the top of the hill, park up then watch all the displays over the valley. It's a good idea I think.

Seeyounearertime Thu 05-Nov-15 20:59:40

Well my DD enjoyed, got the reactions I wanted,
"oOhbthats a pretty one, look daddy, a red one" etc etc.
(Me thinks tonight was a newly forged and never forgotten memory in the daddy memory bank smile)

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 05-Nov-15 21:00:53

I've just been for a run tonight and there were fireworks going off all over, was lovely [smile

Big displays can be overwhelming for toddlers sometimes.

queenmools Fri 06-Nov-15 13:53:46

Sounds lovely. Just right for a toddler. I once invited people round and we sat in my back garden, had a bbq and drank mulled cider while we watched the fireworks. It is a much more relaxed way of doing it.

DisappointedOne Fri 06-Nov-15 13:59:08

We do this. Hills, multi-storey car parks etc. My sister lives on the top floor of a block of flats with a perfect view of the Westminster fireworks at new year. We can wrap up and enjoy our champagne on the roof rather than jostle with the commoners. grin

howabout Fri 06-Nov-15 14:03:46

Perfectly normal behaviour where I live to head for the hills to watch.
I am really lucky as we can see the town display from the house.

What I think is weird is the number of people who persist in having their own private displays.

Qwertybynature Fri 06-Nov-15 14:06:59

Much better than doing what I did and paying to see a display only for the first firework to go off and ds to start crying.

plantsitter Fri 06-Nov-15 14:07:41

Everyone does this here as there's a nice high up park nearby and you can see across East London more or less.

It's ace. One of my favourite memories is asking DD what she was thinking about aged about 3 and her saying 'I'm just feeling about the fireworks,' so I think you're right about the memories! We take hot chocolate and sparklers up there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now