Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

..to not want to be the work printer expert all the bleedin time!!

(13 Posts)
Janeymoo50 Thu 05-Nov-15 16:30:12

I sit next to the printer at work. It has got to the point where I have asked to move seats. Not because I mind people coming and collecting their work a foot from my desk, I get to have a chat. But the problem is whenever it breaks down (paper jam, toner running out, needs new ink cartridge), they always say to me

"oh, it's jammed, do you know how to mend it?"

"how do I change the toner?"

"Where is the A3 paper?"

"is the printer mended?"

'Where is the a3 paper tray"

And so forth (the list is endless)

It drives me mad, I must be asked every day seven or eight times for help with the printer (I've told facilities, they won't change it and it's already been serviced, it's just unreliable).

AIBU

NoodleNuts Thu 05-Nov-15 16:54:30

Are you me?? I think I should go and work for Canon sometimes grin

What drives me mad is most people don't even try to solve the problem, changing a toner takes about 10 seconds but there just stand there and look blank. Ours even shows instructions on the display as to where the paper jam is or where the new toner goes.

Or just read the bloody instruction manual, I did, that's how I know how to do it!!

AHobbyaweek Thu 05-Nov-15 18:57:02

I have this issue but seem to be the resident IT expert although it is nothing to do with my job or where I sit, just because I read the manual/instructions or can google it!!

SevenOfNineTrue Thu 05-Nov-15 19:00:42

Type out a list of FAQ's and their answers. Laminate it and stick it above or in a good place near the printer and refer people to it grin

Vastra Thu 05-Nov-15 19:11:16

I feel your pain. I used to be the go to printer person for no reason other than proximity. Now we've moved office and I've become the go to stationery person. Cue 'do we have any pens / envelopes / tape / paperclips etc'. Try looking in the stationery cupboard! Argh!

WheresMyBurrito Thu 05-Nov-15 19:12:53

I feel your pain. This used to be me. It's a pain in the arse. YANBU.

PegsPigs Thu 05-Nov-15 19:48:38

I used to be this person till I moved. Agree moving is the only way to solve it. People are so lazy and can't be arsed to work it out for themselves.

Littlef00t Thu 05-Nov-15 20:18:05

Can you move the printer? Preferably against a wall away from everyone.

Leelu6 Thu 05-Nov-15 20:23:15

Oooh let me at these people! You guys are too nice, just say you don't know!

IrishDad79 Thu 05-Nov-15 22:24:18

Was tempted to put the following notice on my desk;

"My proximity to the printer should in no way be regarded as an indicator of any particular level of expertise on the subject. If you are encountering technical difficulties please direct your query to the Facilities team - thank you!"

Bottled out of doing it in the end.

AnnaMarlowe Thu 05-Nov-15 22:27:46

I was coming in to make the same suggestion as Sevenofnine

I used to be printer expert in my previous job. When I last change companies I deliberately didn't learn the vagueries of the office printer.

I change paper and refill (as that is good manners) but that's it.

AnnaMarlowe Thu 05-Nov-15 22:28:18

^^ I should say I gave ongoing guilt about this! grin

FatRun Thu 05-Nov-15 22:29:28

YANBU. I'm my work's unofficial IT expert and it drives me mad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now