Advanced search

Universal credit and housing costs related.

(6 Posts)
IAM4 Thu 05-Nov-15 15:12:14

DD is 23 and has made a claim for universal credit - she used to work but currently unemployed and skint; she lives with me.

On the application she said she had housing costs which were paid to a relative (me).

She has an appointment at the Jobcentre tomorrow and has been asked to bring her tenancy agreement. Obviously she doesn't have one.

AIBU to think she can get housing costs to pay her DM some rent. How does she do this?

SaucyJack Thu 05-Nov-15 15:36:48

I'm not convinced she can get rent in that situation- someone else will know better than me tho. There are high hoops to jump through before they'll pay rent to a relative.

Do you rent? You might be better off putting in a claim in your name, but if you earn too much you may well be expected to fund her housing costs while she's under your roof.

Seeyounearertime Thu 05-Nov-15 15:41:15

*When the Housing Costs Element is not payable

If you're not responsible for paying housing costs and don't make any other payments to live in the property, you won't get the Housing Costs Element.

You can't get the Housing Costs Element if you are living with, and paying rent to :

your partner
parent or guardian
step parent
other close relative
a company owned by one of the above
a trust administered by one of the above*

Seeyounearertime Thu 05-Nov-15 15:41:44

Total bold fail. But the info is direct quote from the link.

TheBunnyOfDoom Thu 05-Nov-15 15:46:32

She won't get housing benefit if she lives with you and pays you rent.

IAM4 Thu 05-Nov-15 16:20:57

Oh, thanks for your answers - obviously not what i wanted to hear smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: