Talk

Advanced search

To think that there should be a pupil premium to help schools support children who have a parent in prison

(77 Posts)
ReallyTired Thu 05-Nov-15 12:32:53

Prison should be there to punish the adults, but it has a negative affect on families. Sometimes sending someone to prison is unavoidable. I think providing additional funding for children with a parent in prison would enable schools to support such children better.

ManorGreyhound Thu 05-Nov-15 12:34:08

No! The impact on your family is one of many things that you should think about before you commit a crime!

I can't believe anyone would even suggest such nonsense.

BarbarianMum Thu 05-Nov-15 12:34:14

I agree but I doubt DC does. Pupil premium was a Lib Dem idea so I can't see it being expanded.

CocktailQueen Thu 05-Nov-15 12:34:57

If pupils are being disadvantaged financially by a parent being in prison, such that they receive free school meals, they will automatically receive PP too.

If they don't receive FSM while their parent in prison, why should they receive PP?

ghostyslovesheep Thu 05-Nov-15 12:35:09

YANBU - but - as you can see - when it comes to the families of prisoners lots of people lack empathy or understanding sad

CocktailQueen Thu 05-Nov-15 12:35:18

*parent IS in prison

FrozenPonds Thu 05-Nov-15 12:37:20

Where would it stop?

Funding for children of the chronically ill? Bereaved children? Children whose parents are just utterly uninvolved?

Where would the money come from?

Decent pastoral care all round is all you need, and good teaching, and high expectations.

ManorGreyhound Thu 05-Nov-15 12:37:47

I will just about agree with the idea that children should not be disadvantaged by their parent's socio economic status, so broadly support pupil premium, but the idea that a deliberate criminal act should be considered in the same way? Good grief, I've heard it all now!

Ricardian Thu 05-Nov-15 12:38:01

How many children are there who have a parent in prison but have not been in receipt of FSM in the past however many years it is?

Stompylongnose Thu 05-Nov-15 12:38:54

I would have thought that some children end up on Free School meals as a result of household income halving.

Yanbu but I think that there are many children who need support likes ones who suffer a bereavement, divorce, become a carer, have sick/disabled family....

ManorGreyhound Thu 05-Nov-15 12:39:01

FWIW, there is a very high degree of correlation between poverty and crime, so pretty likely that the DC's of a prisoner will be in receipt of PP anyway.

ManorGreyhound Thu 05-Nov-15 12:39:38

(the school will be in receipt of the PP)

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Thu 05-Nov-15 12:41:11

Way to blame the children Manor hmm

I don't agree though, OP, there are social care services which support families of prisoners, and liaise with schools.

Holstein Thu 05-Nov-15 12:42:29

I think it's an interesting proposal, and certainly i know children with a parent in prison that are not on PP.

Holstein Thu 05-Nov-15 12:43:20

Sorry- to clarify- know because of my work, not that I'm a nosey busybody.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 05-Nov-15 12:43:55

Tbh a massive proportion of families will go through things that render them.in serious trouble one way or another yet still not qualify fir Pp or whatever.

deaths
births
illness
redundancy
crime
drugs
drink
addiction of any sort really

you can't find every single one nor is one less serious in terms of its effects than any others.

where do you draw the line

ManorGreyhound Thu 05-Nov-15 12:45:02

Parents need to consider the impact their choices have on their DCs, in many areas of life.

Knowledge of the fact that your poor choices will cause your DCs to be disadvantaged acts as a powerful incentive to keep people on the straight and narrow.

If we remove that incentive by having the State picking up the tab, why would people not just behave as they please?

spanisharmada Thu 05-Nov-15 12:47:33

I think it's a very odd, and I had thought outdated, idea that children should pay for the 'sins of the father' as it were.

ManorGreyhound Thu 05-Nov-15 12:47:38

I really wish the left would have a think about how their policies just serve to keep people trapped in poverty (and in this case criminality).

It just makes me so sad to think of people condemned to this horrible cycle by what I am sure are well-intentioned, but poorly thought through ideas.

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Thu 05-Nov-15 12:48:16

And in those cases there are support services to which schools can refer the family. Schools are there to educate. I do understand that home circumstances have an impact on the child's education, but lots of children in the class will have differing needs. Most of our PP pupils are not the same as the group which needs additional help, but PP are the ones who get funding. So you find ways to provide what's needed within the constraints of the government requirements - as usual.

MumOnTheRunAgain Thu 05-Nov-15 12:49:28

Does the pp benefit the individual child then? I thought it was all in the lot together and then the whole school benefited that way?

ManorGreyhound Thu 05-Nov-15 12:49:48

Of course they should - if there is no incentive for you to make good choices (because the state will ensure that the outcome for your DCs will be the same whatever you do) then society really will fall apart.

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Thu 05-Nov-15 12:50:08

Manor, are you seriously saying parents would commit imprisonable offences solely in order to lever some additional funds to their child's school? Do you listen to yourself?

ManorGreyhound Thu 05-Nov-15 12:50:26

Sorry, thread moved on there! That was to Spanish

Fourarmsv2 Thu 05-Nov-15 12:50:42

Do you agree with children with parents in the Armed Forces receiving pupil premium?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now