Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to keep my 2yo out of the rain?

(16 Posts)
mrsjanedoe Thu 05-Nov-15 09:23:10

Please tell me I am being stupid ridiculous!

It's raining fairly heavily outside, and I need to go on some errands. I could take the stroller/ rain cover and pop my 2 yo in it, so he will be cosy, nice and dry (whilst I am getting soaked).

Or, I could just put his jacket on, and walk with him. If his shoes get wet, we'll dry them at home later, his trousers will dry eventually and his jacket his waterproof.

AIBU to wait until I buy a all-in-one waterproof outfit before taking him in the rain? (wellies have been ordered)

lornathewizzard Thu 05-Nov-15 09:27:41

A jacket and wellies would be what I'd go for if not taking the buggy. But I would probably just take the buggy! My DD is younger though, 15mo.

Seeline Thu 05-Nov-15 09:29:15

My DCs used to love wet walks. Wearing wellies and jumping in puddles was just the best thing! As long as you are not out too long so that he gets cold, I think it sounds great.

BeanGirls Thu 05-Nov-15 09:30:28

You don't have wellies yet, I'd put him in the buggy sounds like he'll be soaked.

museumum Thu 05-Nov-15 09:31:35

If not taking the buggy is take a sling because carrying a toddler in waterproofs when you are also in waterproofs is hard. They're too slippy.
But my 2yr old is only just turned 2 so would def need a carry at some point.

PastaLaFeasta Thu 05-Nov-15 09:32:00

It's not particularly cold so a bit of rain will do no harm. When that start school they walk with normal shoes and clothes and just dry off. He's coming home to a nice warm home and clean dry clothes. Kids usually love playing in the rain and even in the cold without a coat. And getting a bit wet and cold won't lead to him getting a cold as you may be told like I was when my then four year old got a bit wet.

mrsjanedoe Thu 05-Nov-15 09:39:50

thank you smile

Alibabsandthe40Musketeers Thu 05-Nov-15 09:41:22

Buggy for today if you don't have wellies, but get him used to walking in the wet - my two are now 7 and 4 and love a wet walk in wellies so they can jump in the puddles.

Jhm9rhs Thu 05-Nov-15 09:42:47

I'd put him in the buggy today, but order wellies etc if you think he'd like it in future x

Twinkie1 Thu 05-Nov-15 09:44:39

Get wellies that have fur lining or their little toes freeze. Aigle do really good ones.

specialsubject Thu 05-Nov-15 09:58:35

it sounds like it is YOU that needs to buy a raincoat!!

none of us are soluble in water.

Fairydogmother Thu 05-Nov-15 10:01:37

I'd probably put him in the buggy if he will go in it! My just turned 2 year old refuses lol. We got him spotty otter fleece lined wellies and their all in one suit - brilliant value!

PerspicaciaTick Thu 05-Nov-15 10:10:23

And while you are shopping, buy some wellies for yourself so that you can join in the puddle jumping. It is a simple joy and one I was very glad to rediscover when my DCs hit toddlerhood.

Oliversmumsarmy Thu 05-Nov-15 10:14:25

When Ds was about 2 he jumped into a flooded gully at the side of the lane we were walking down and slipped and fell. He went completely under the water. I grabbed him and pulled him up. He declared the experience was "better than Christmas". He is now 13 and was last week on the top deck of a ferry in the pouring rain and wind. He declared that was the best experience of the holday. We were in New York.

Kids get wet and they love it. They soon dry off.

MiaowTheCat Thu 05-Nov-15 10:32:07

There is no way on this earth you'd get my 2 year old to happily sit in the pushchair under a rain cover (both my kids have hated rain covers with a passion for some strange reason) when there are puddles to be splashed in! She'd be out of that pushchair and into the nearest puddle herself like a shot!

Mine have waterproofs now but I would have just put them in clothes that aren't going to be awful if they get wet (ie not jeans etc) and then we'd have had warm hot chocolate at home and dried off afterwards.

Crazypetlady Thu 05-Nov-15 11:10:01

A little rain won't hurt , I do say that as a rain lover though. I loved your post Oliversmums Seem like such funny and nice memories.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now