Talk

Advanced search

Is this poor form?

(19 Posts)
ImmaAWaspImmaABee Wed 04-Nov-15 22:11:55

I'm an entrance exam/KS2 tutor. I am degree-qualified but as this is the first year I have tutored at this level (although I am tutoring other subjects too), I started my rates off at v reasonable prices. I charge £16 per hour and provide all my own resources.

However I have been receiving consistently good feedback from parents and have high demand. Other tutors in my area charge anything from £25-40 per hour for the same service.

Is it poor form to hike my prices up by, say, £5 for existing students?

ImmaAWaspImmaABee Wed 04-Nov-15 22:12:53

I think it probably is isn't it. I would obviously then not change the rates again for at least a year or two. Just feel like I'm undervaluing my skill set slightly.

JemimaHighway Wed 04-Nov-15 22:14:13

Yes. You want to increase prices by 25%?!

Why don't you wait until this year passes and you can prove your abilities by for example, saying you have 95% passing CE

ImmaAWaspImmaABee Wed 04-Nov-15 22:14:48

Ok point taken, thanks smilesmile

TheHouseOnTheLane Wed 04-Nov-15 22:15:17

I think it is poor form. I would be very unhappy with it as a parent. What you could do is let people know that from January the price will be raised.

ImmaAWaspImmaABee Wed 04-Nov-15 22:17:03

Ok, yes I do agree. Will wait until (hopefully!) I have passes smile

fastdaytears Wed 04-Nov-15 22:18:10

Great that you're getting such good feedback. Can you increase your charges for new students and leave existing as it is?

BlueJug Wed 04-Nov-15 22:18:11

Yep, poor form to hike the price halfway through when the kids are settled - there is not much parents can do. Warn them as PP suggests or wait until you have a year's results to show.

Nohopeformethen Wed 04-Nov-15 22:18:19

Why not increase for new customers only?

chantico Wed 04-Nov-15 22:18:54

Of course it's not unreasonable to review your prices periodically.

You need to give users reasonable notice of impending changes (and remind them how long it is since your last change). And perhaps think about adding some verbiage for new clients about prices being reviewed annually (suggest at a natural break point in February (after private 11+) or July (CE and end of school year) or October (state 11+), depending what your client base is like.

PurpleDaisies Wed 04-Nov-15 22:19:17

I'm a tutor too-when I realised I could charge more I put up prices for new students but honoured existing ones until the end of the academic year (or however long I was seeing them for). That worked well.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 04-Nov-15 22:22:24

Well I don't know about poor form so much, but you may have to prepare yourself for losing some students if the late can't keep up with your fees. Yes I know its only £5 extra and to be getting their dcs extra tuition thery must have the money. However £5 is £5 and while yes. It's not a lot, but its not a little either, and if they paying for few children then that extra £5 per child per hour will soon add up.
You're obviously a fantastic tutor by your feed back, don't price yourself out of it.

hopelesscook1 Wed 04-Nov-15 22:24:03

I am a tutor too. Started at a similar fee whilst I built experience. Existing students I have kept at that rate. New students I charge double (up to gcse). Tbh I could charge more as I go to their homes so it's almost double the time. And they're all friends of friends so keen to keep rates very reasonable. In another 6-12 months I'll probably put up my fee again for new students.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 04-Nov-15 22:24:50

The parents not the late. HTF did it auto correct to late. The word parent is nothing remotely like lateconfused

grumpysquash Wed 04-Nov-15 22:31:40

What about raising existing students by a modest amount (e.g. to £17.50 per hour) but charge new students more (e.g. £25 per hour). Would that work? Then you could assess the take up rate from new enquiries and take it from there......

CakeMountain Wed 04-Nov-15 22:37:56

Why not increase for new students, but offer a new 'loyalty rate' for current students at slightly above what you are charging them, all effective in x months' time?

reuset Wed 04-Nov-15 22:44:44

I'd raise it more gradually for existing students.

PurpleDaisies Wed 04-Nov-15 23:06:05

I worried about annoying existing students by changing the terms of the agreement-to me it only really makes sense to do it at a natural break point or you risk not being recommended. In tutoring word of mouth is everything, especially when you're starting out. I wouldn't think the extra couple of pounds an hour (if you're going to only gradually increase prices for existing students) would really be worth the risk of alienating people.

In my experience I haven't had anyone turn me down on the basis of my new rate being too high. As long as you're in step with the prices for your area people will be willing to pay if you're known to be good. Actually counter intuitively people looking for an expert might be put off if you're too cheap.

Jhm9rhs Wed 04-Nov-15 23:11:52

I would keep your current pupils on the existing rate, but charge more to future pupils.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now