Talk

Advanced search

I want to shout NO!

(41 Posts)
Yarboosucks Wed 04-Nov-15 21:21:05

I have been invited to join some friends to go and see - I can hardly type it - the Coke Cola Christmas lorry! Really? An effing lorry advertising offing coke and this has become an event?

ChocolateFuzz Wed 04-Nov-15 21:36:31

That actualy exists? I thought it was just an advert thing

MrsBalustradeLanyard Wed 04-Nov-15 21:39:41

Last year people round here went mental for it. Rushed up to Tesco on their lunch break to see it. A fucking lorry. hmm

BondJayneBond Wed 04-Nov-15 21:39:53

Oh, it exists.

There was at least one near me last Christmas, and it was all over my FB feed. Posts about going to see the Coca-Cola Christmas lorry, photos of people stood in front of it.....

I don't understand the appeal, personally.

SnozBuriedUnderThePatio Wed 04-Nov-15 21:44:22

Coke are very clever to have made people think coke is a big part of Christmas. Wedged themselves right in to the biggest shopping event of the year.

Holstein Wed 04-Nov-15 21:45:59

Snoz- CocaCola invented jolly old red-coated Santa. They've been part of Christmas for over 100 years.

gamerchick Wed 04-Nov-15 21:48:23

It just means Christmas is coming. See it, don't see... It's no big deal confused

I've never bothered personally.

MrsBalustradeLanyard Wed 04-Nov-15 21:50:33

Imagine working in Coke's marketing department. Like shooting idiotic fish in a barrel.

Sparklingbrook Wed 04-Nov-15 21:53:10

If i was 5 years old i would probably love it. grin

NorksAreMessy Wed 04-Nov-15 21:53:46

There are so many things wrong with this idea, I don't even know where to start.

Oh civilisation, I weep for you

BishopBrennansArse Wed 04-Nov-15 21:55:42

Yeah see my kids DO love it.
Hence why we went to see it last year.

But freezing my arse off for an hour to get a can of about 25p worth of Coke? Not doing it again.

shinynewusername Wed 04-Nov-15 21:56:31

Oh civilisation, I weep for you

I've heard that's in the running to be their new slogan, along with "Have a Coke and experience existential despair, a profound sense of pessimism about the human condition and type 2 diabetes".

Mmmmcake123 Wed 04-Nov-15 21:59:40

I've heard of people going as well. Can't understand it tho. I know they have said it was good but haven't been able to concentrate long enough to know why wink

KittiesInsane Wed 04-Nov-15 22:01:41

According to Snopes.com Coke didn't invent the modern red-coated Santa image but they popularised it in their adverts.

SnozBuriedUnderThePatio Wed 04-Nov-15 22:01:57

Did they really? I would have guessed Santa had been around for longer than coke.

I have seen it and it is just a truck parked up with people handing out mini cans of coke to passers by. I feel christmassy from about July onwards but the coke truck doesn't do it for me.

AnotherDame Wed 04-Nov-15 22:01:59

The thives left it on bricks after stealing the wheels in Wrexham ( or Grimsby depending on your source...)
so apparently Chritmas is 'cancelled'.

hmm

LynetteScavo Wed 04-Nov-15 22:02:09

Oh yes, a colleague took her child lady year. It was a special trip in the evening to another city. Her child was 4.

AnotherDame Wed 04-Nov-15 22:03:05

Keep forgetting links!!
warpedwales.co.uk/2015/11/03/christmas-already-cancelled-as-coca-cola-truck-has-wheels-stolen-in-wrexham/

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 04-Nov-15 22:03:41

Imagine working in Coke's marketing department. Like shooting idiotic fish in a barrel. grin

BetaVersion Wed 04-Nov-15 22:08:15

DS1 at age 4 stood on the side of the road in Oxford pointing at a Coca Cola articulated lorry driving past down the Banbury Road and shouting 'Look Daddy its Coca Cola'.

He couldn't read his own name but he could read 'Coca Cola' on the side of the lorry and he drinks it like its going out of fashion now at age 15.

Its the power of brand advertising.

NewBallsPlease00 Wed 04-Nov-15 22:11:38

Keith vaz has tried to stop it going to Leicester due to the obesity and diabetics level in the area!!

lexigrey Wed 04-Nov-15 22:11:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PaulAnkaTheDog Wed 04-Nov-15 22:12:49

This has been happening for a good few years hmm have you all only noticed now?

If you're lucky they set up fake plants and a grotty red carpet-thing to stand on. Y'know, if you want to have your photo taken with a truck.

Theimpossiblegirl Wed 04-Nov-15 22:14:02

Leicester Council has allegedly said they won't be taking part because it sends the wrong message to children. If it's true, good for them!

DickDewy Wed 04-Nov-15 22:14:25

Is this a thing?

Are young kids aware of Coke?

WHO does this appeal to?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now