Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not clean a 1 bed flat if I'm charged a £30 cleaning fee for a long weekends use

(83 Posts)
speedyboardersuzanne Wed 04-Nov-15 15:53:32

I stayed in a one bed for a long weekend. Everything was left pretty much as I found it apart from I stripped the beds and because we were running late I didn't have time to do the breakfast pans and dishes. It did need a bit of a clean after we were gone, but no more than two hours to get it back to being perfect.

Owner is being assey with me saying I left the bedrooms in a state, kitchen dirty with dishes and the whole place dirty. Apparently I should of left it as I found it, ie cleaned. But surely as I'm being charged a cleaning fee I shouldn't need to clean?

30 would cover 4 hours of cleaning IMO, and no way did it even need half of that.

Queenbean Wed 04-Nov-15 15:55:43

You usually need to wash up after yourself though

Everything else should be included with the cleaning fee. Where do you live the think that £30 covers 4 hours of cleaning? Where I live it would cover 2 1/2 hours

Sansoora Wed 04-Nov-15 15:57:01

I think it was a bit of bad do to not wash up the dishes and I think I'd have done that rather than strip the beds which could have been left with the bedclothes pulled back and pillows left tidy.

I'd also have made sure the bathroom sink etc was up to scratch.

But apart from that I'd not have done anything else and I'd just say goodbye to the 30 pounds which I'd consider fair payment for leaving the house the way it was left.

catfordbetty Wed 04-Nov-15 15:57:09

I would have done the dishes and tidied up but no cleaning if I had paid for cleaning.

AlpacaPicnic Wed 04-Nov-15 15:58:23

Well, how dirty did it get during your long weekend?
Personally I would wash the dishes I'd used and put them away, rather than strip bedding. I would put rubbish in the bin as I went along and maybe leave the used towels in the bath.

But as long as it wasn't filthy, then yes I would assume a 30 pound cleaning fee was to clean up... I wouldn't be hoovering and polishing etc.

speedyboardersuzanne Wed 04-Nov-15 15:58:40

Yep I agree about the washing up, we just ran out of time. I did send an apology for that. But would of only been 5 mins work.

In north Wales, can get cleaners for 7.50 cash here.

mommy2ash Wed 04-Nov-15 15:58:49

Would you have had to pay the cleaning fee either way?

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 04-Nov-15 15:59:34

Leaving dishes was manky. I am often manky so I recognise that. grin

reni2 Wed 04-Nov-15 16:00:00

It would cover 2.5 h cleaning around here, plenty of time to do a 1-bed flat including the dishes. I would have done them myself, but not the beds.

Enjolrass Wed 04-Nov-15 16:00:45

Whenever we have rented a place like this we have always done the pots.

Some places ask for the bed to be stripped and a wash put on. Thats usually in the US though.

The cleaning few is to pay someone to do the bedding, clean the bathroom, Hoover up etc.

Not do your pots.

Pixi2 Wed 04-Nov-15 16:00:46

Was the £30 cleaning few part of the cost? If so, you paid upfront for cleaning as part of the cost of the weekend so you shouldn't have to clean after yourself. Tbh, this is why we do hotels.

speedyboardersuzanne Wed 04-Nov-15 16:01:18

I only stripped the bedding to make sure we didn't leave anything. It did need a mop, wipe and hoover. But wasn't really dirty IMO.

Sansoora Wed 04-Nov-15 16:01:23

Speedy, if it was only going to take 5 minutes to wash up them surely you would have done the dishes?

And I think the cleaners were probably ligit and not paid cash in hand.

speedyboardersuzanne Wed 04-Nov-15 16:02:15

Yes the 30 was in front, non refundable.

Sirzy Wed 04-Nov-15 16:03:24

Dirty enough you predicted it needed 2 hours cleaning after a long weekend?

Doing dishes should be the bare minimum before leaving somewhere IMO.

speedyboardersuzanne Wed 04-Nov-15 16:03:26

Only just made the train by two mins so glad we didn't do them. Got mixed up when the clocks changed

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 04-Nov-15 16:03:57

I think you should have done the dishes and made sure surfaces were clean.

I fall between two stools - My father who used to do a thorough deep clean anywhere we stayed, and a friend who used to leave half drunk coffee cups lying around, let her DD wee on the furniture when potty training and not even leave a clean loo! We are no longer friends.

corlette Wed 04-Nov-15 16:05:48

I would have washed, dried and put the dishes away rather than stripping the beds if I was running late.
A quick tidy up and wipe of kitchen surfaces would have done if I was paying for cleaning.

Sansoora Wed 04-Nov-15 16:06:07

Speedy you are leaving yourself open here for quite a hammering so if I were you I'd just accept the 30 quid has gone and forget about it. smile

speedyboardersuzanne Wed 04-Nov-15 16:06:48

Just to add it was just one meals dishes left. 2 plates, frying pan, bowl and two coffee cups. Everything put in there sink, not dishes layed all over the place.

speedyboardersuzanne Wed 04-Nov-15 16:08:40

The 30 was always gone! Its the way the owner is speaking to me now, calling me dirty and lazy for not returning the place to the same state I found it.

Yes I expect a pro clean of a one bed flat to take two hours.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 04-Nov-15 16:09:44

It wouldn't occur to me to leave pots but tbh if I had already overpaid for cleaning I might feel a tiny bit justified. Serves the owner right for overcharging.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 04-Nov-15 16:10:55

And honestly, calling a renter dirty is utterly unprofessional even if you think it.

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Wed 04-Nov-15 16:14:51

I wouldn't have done the dishes if it meant missing the train.

Last time I went to butlins every day I came back all my dishes was done, I paid for that service so no way was I doing dishes while on holiday.

TheHiphopopotamus Wed 04-Nov-15 16:15:26

I probably would have washed up, but tbh it pisses me off when I've paid to stop in a cottage on holiday and there has been a long list of stuff they want you do at the end.

I wouldn't strip beds or Hoover or take the bins out. I'm on holiday ffs.

I would leave it clean and put dirty towels in the wash bin.

And if they're getting arsey over a few dirty pots when you've paid a cleaning fee, I would leave them a bad review. It's not like you've shit in the beds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now