Talk

Advanced search

Personal Trainer

(8 Posts)
suchafuss Wed 04-Nov-15 13:37:14

My husband finally stopped smoking a couple of months ago and started exercising and generally getting fit and healthy. I was over the moon as it meant that we were also saving the best part of PS300 per month and because I am a student this would come in very handy.

However since he stopped smoking he has spent money on a fancy e-cig, not the normal ones but a pipe thing costing nearly PS70. Then running shoes, shorts and tops. He has lost weight so now we are talking new jeans, trousers, shirts etc and finally he has called me to say that as well as paying for the annual gym membership last night he now wants to book a couple of PT sessions a week.

I have said that I do not think its necessary, that he should see a PT for his first programme but then until it needs changing he should do that programme and perhaps supplement it with some classes (all included in the membership price).

I feel bad because I do not work, but AIBU to say that a PT is an extravagance that he can do without?

Shoxfordian Wed 04-Nov-15 13:57:21

If you don't work then it's his money so it's his choice

19lottie82 Wed 04-Nov-15 14:02:40

Shock..... Not really. If they're married then it's "their" money, surely?

OP can you afford for his to go to a personal trainer? As long as no one is going without because of it, I don't see the problem.

suchafuss Wed 04-Nov-15 14:18:54

Just to make it clear, in the past I worked while he didn't.

DreamingOfThruxtons Wed 04-Nov-15 14:22:41

I wish my partner would show some of the same determination! However, if he wanted to spend that much on personal training we would have a problem.

Can he not compromise? I'd say once a week, or even once a fortnight to begin with would be plenty. Especially as there is only one wage coming in, and with Christmas fast approaching: especially if you have kids.

Shoxfordian Wed 04-Nov-15 15:29:53

Yeah it's joint money but the OP doesn't say his spending it means she can't afford things or that it impacts on their finances negatively

Enjolrass Wed 04-Nov-15 15:41:46

The e cig may have been expensive. But not as expensive as smoking.

Whether Yabu or not depends on what state your finances are in. Are you and your kids missing out so he can do these things.

I really lying think you can begrudge him clothes that fit.

MumOnTheRunAgain Wed 04-Nov-15 19:47:25

He works hard for his money? If so,why not?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: