Talk

Advanced search

Friend didn't cancel renewal, should I pay?

(22 Posts)
ElizabethKnownAsQueenie Wed 04-Nov-15 12:16:06

Friend and I had a subscription to something for a year, cost about PS30 each.

She asked me a few weeks ago if I wanted to renew, I said no, she agreed.

However now money has been automatically taken from her account. Should I pay half??

ElizabethKnownAsQueenie Wed 04-Nov-15 12:16:23

That should say PS30

ElizabethKnownAsQueenie Wed 04-Nov-15 12:16:45

Ffs PS = pounds grin

PittacusLore Wed 04-Nov-15 12:18:09

Has she asked you for half?

Did she forget to cancel it, or has the money been taken in error?

Seeline Wed 04-Nov-15 12:18:27

If you definitely agreed that she was the one to cancel the subscription, and you let her know in good time that you didn't want to renew, then no I don't think you should have to pay. ait's her fault if she didn't cancel in time.

InTheBox Wed 04-Nov-15 12:18:30

Has she asked you for half or just mentioned it in a 'oh i forgot to cancel' type of way?

ElizabethKnownAsQueenie Wed 04-Nov-15 12:20:41

She hasn't asked me for half just told me about it... I feel bad though. I have sent her some info on how she could go about cancelling.

gleam Wed 04-Nov-15 12:22:07

If neither of you have used it, then maybe it won't be too hard to cancel?

PittacusLore Wed 04-Nov-15 12:23:53

Unless you can use the subscription for another year you shouldn't pay. And you shouldn't feel bad, she told you she would cancel, then didn't.

justgoandgetalife Wed 04-Nov-15 12:25:06

If it's come out of her account, it was her responsibility to cancel. Just that.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 04-Nov-15 12:44:37

It's probably not too late to get it cancelled if she contacts the company now. Worth a shot smile

Viviennemary Wed 04-Nov-15 12:49:21

Ithink you should pay half although it's annoying. Ask her to try and get a refund. It's always the person who puts the money upfront who loses out. And that's unfair.

gleam Wed 04-Nov-15 12:50:35

Unless she didn't really want to cancel and is seeing if op will pay up...

Verypissedoffwife Wed 04-Nov-15 12:52:23

For the sake of 15 quid I'd just pay. Not worth the bad feeling.

badtime Wed 04-Nov-15 12:53:33

You should not pay half. It was her error/choice to not cancel, so it is her problem.

gleam Wed 04-Nov-15 12:56:16

It was PS30 each, Very.

skankingpiglet Wed 04-Nov-15 13:18:20

Completely her fault so you shouldn't have to pay. I would probably offer to pay the half however, if it was going to cause issues as it's not worth losing a good friendship over 30 quid, however that would also be dependent on her being able to cancel from here on in - 30/month for the next year or whatever period would not be happening.

BusShelter Wed 04-Nov-15 13:22:20

Are you sure she can't cancel?
If she can't and she genuinely just made a mistake will you be able to get any use out of the subscription this year? If so then maybe you could pay. If it's totally useless to you then I probably wouldn't pay.
It's tricky not knowing all the details.

Bakeoffcake Wed 04-Nov-15 13:49:34

If she's a friend then yes I would pay her the money. It's not all about who's fault it is, it's a friendship you're talking about here. I'm sure she's done things for you in the past, above and beyond "fair".

Give her the money and offer to sit with her and show her how to cancel it.

SweetTeaVodka Thu 05-Nov-15 07:59:14

I'm confused.

Surely your subscription comes out of your account, and here comes out of her account? Therefore it's each your own responsibility to cancel your own subscription. If she forgot that's her mistake and she has to suck it up, I don't see why you should feel bad for not holding her hand through the process or bail her out, she's an adult!

BeanGirls Thu 05-Nov-15 09:00:59

Personally I'd give her 15 pounds, as a friend. But I don't think you're under any obligation to.

BeanGirls Thu 05-Nov-15 09:02:33

Oh it's 30 each. I have no idea what's going on grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now