Talk

Advanced search

To go against my GP and give up smoking.

(12 Posts)
PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Tue 03-Nov-15 23:12:20

Background:-

January I took an overdose, that had me in hospital overnight in which I had all sort of things through an IV drip. Luckily no long term damage done.

I am on 150mg of steraline and even then I am still a bit wobbly but can now manage day-day.

I really can't afford to smoke and with Christmas coming up I need the extra money for my DC.

The doctor has advised against giving up because he thinks if I 'fail' then it would set back over 10 months work on my MH.

ivykaty44 Tue 03-Nov-15 23:14:02

So you have two choices

Continue to smoke

Don't fail at giving up smoking

someonestolemynick Tue 03-Nov-15 23:14:34

Tbh with your back story your gp might have a point

lilyb84 Tue 03-Nov-15 23:19:39

Sounds like you've had a really tough year flowers

Giving up smoking would be a great positive step for your physical health but I'd say its effect on your mental health depends entirely on why you smoke. My DH became depressed after giving up as he felt he'd lost a part of his identity - it was a crutch which was helping to mask deeper issues which didn't become apparent until that crutch was taken away.

Maybe don't go about it as 'giving up' per se but just see how you do with cutting down, or stop smoking but don't put any pressure on yourself to have 'given up' entirely? Basically don't make it something you can 'fail' at.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

GiddyOnZackHunt Tue 03-Nov-15 23:26:00

Can your GP prescribe some nicotine substitutes for you to see if that can help you cut down? The gum perhaps? In the full understanding that this is a trial and you are making no demands on yourself.

AnotherEmma Tue 03-Nov-15 23:29:29

Could you try cutting down instead of going cold turkey? That could be more achievable and would be a step in the right direction towards giving up completely.

HPsauciness Tue 03-Nov-15 23:32:31

If you want to give up smoking, I strongly suggest you contact the stop smoking services in your area. They will be more experienced than your GP in helping people with mental health issues quit smoking and more up to date on the latest things available as well.

The reason quitting smoking can be problematic is that it can trigger a depressive episode in vulnerable people, because you are used to having nicotine all the time to stabilize your moods.

So, quitting might involve a heavier dose of NRT than someone who didn't have those problems might have (so patch and something else) or use of e-cigarette having taken advice from people who already use them and so on.

I think if you just sit at home and quit, you could get into difficulties. Even people without issues often get unpleasant withdrawal, sleep disturbance, mood swings and if you then factor in your existing problems, it could be quite stressful for all concerned.

I don't want to encourage you though, but just seek the best advice you can get for free (may also get some of the products for free as well).

HPsauciness Tue 03-Nov-15 23:33:31

I don't mean by the way that you need nicotine, more that your body has just got used to it and if you suddenly withdraw from it, it can cause mood instability for a short time.

Iwanttobeadog Tue 03-Nov-15 23:36:05

Could you try vapeing- disclaimer , I know nothing but stopped smoking without even trying by swapping to a vape thing

noeffingidea Tue 03-Nov-15 23:36:15

An e-cig?
Going from experience, not being able to afford smoking is very stressful, because every time you run out of money you have to go into withdrawal. Then you get a bit of money, go out and buy a pack ,and the process starts again. That was a good incentive for me to give up properly, because I couldn't stand the constant having to go without whenever I was skint.

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Tue 03-Nov-15 23:56:38

Thanks all, I have been on every NRT on the market and tried vaping also stop smoking Wales.

I do really well then my MH declined so rapidly that I start again.

GiddyOnZackHunt Wed 04-Nov-15 00:00:55

One week on and one week off until Christmas? Will save some money and give you a health benefit even with nrt.
The ONLY thing that heped me was the tabs that you put under your tongue. Don't know why they did the trick but they did!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now