Talk

Advanced search

to ask what the 'f' is up with the new PayPal ad????

(31 Posts)
pinktips Tue 03-Nov-15 21:54:47

Kids discussing parents buying presents? Parents buying presents?? Inferences of there being no man in a big red suit???? What heartless feck thought that was ok to make/put on tv????

clinksy Tue 03-Nov-15 21:57:15

Noooo...!!!

pinktips Tue 03-Nov-15 21:59:04

Yes!!!!! I'm so confused, how is this allowed!!!???

ghostyslovesheep Tue 03-Nov-15 21:59:16

parents DO buy presents confused

SawdustInMyHair Tue 03-Nov-15 21:59:51

Surely not all presents come from you-know-who? Otherwise how would grown ups get presents!

FantasticRik Tue 03-Nov-15 22:01:24

I thought the same OP. The ad is parents buying presents for their DCS....

DS was too engrossed in the iPad to take much notice thankfully.

SawdustInMyHair Tue 03-Nov-15 22:01:47

But seriously, do you pretend ALL the presents come from Santa? In my house the stocking is from Santa, other parents are most certainly from regular humans!

PaulAnkaTheDog Tue 03-Nov-15 22:02:16

Total over reaction.

FantasticRik Tue 03-Nov-15 22:02:28

Father Christmas brings ours Ghostys.

wink

SawdustInMyHair Tue 03-Nov-15 22:02:43

*other PRESENTS :p

ghostyslovesheep Tue 03-Nov-15 22:02:54

but Father Christmas doesn't bring every present surely?

He brings little stocking gifts and a couple of surprises - tree presents are from me

ceeveebee Tue 03-Nov-15 22:03:47

Me too, only the stocking comes from Santa in our house, everything else is from whoever bought it, otherwise how do they know who to write thank you notes to?

Hulababy Tue 03-Nov-15 22:03:59

DD talked about that ad and if it might confuse some children - dd is a teen now so she knows, though like to pretend for sake of her little cousins if they are around.

But as she said - FC only brings one present to our house; and in her friends' houses he sometimes brought a stocking. But parents still bought gifts and other family/friends did too.

I can't imagine FC brings every gift in many households sure;y?

But yes, maybe a little bit verging on the wrong side if being shown earlier in day or during children's programs.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 03-Nov-15 22:04:45

In this house we buy the presents. Stockings come down the chimney. Otherwise don't we look like tight bastards since we get presents if we don't buy any?

Jbck Tue 03-Nov-15 22:05:10

YANBU I was ranting to DH yesterday. DD2 is 7 and was asking allsorts, had to distract her with her Halloween haul.
Did actually think about emailing to complain.

ghostyslovesheep Tue 03-Nov-15 22:05:30

also why give FC all the credit grin

SawdustInMyHair Tue 03-Nov-15 22:08:13

Surely if your DCs ask, you say that Father Christmas brings his present, but the ones I buy for you come from the shops like everything else! Where do they think Grandma's present comes from?

I honestly can't tell if people are being serious!

FantasticRik Tue 03-Nov-15 22:08:55

I've never given it much thought... FC brings the main presents plus fills the stockings. What's under the tree is from whoever (GPs, aunties and uncles etc).

Have I made a major cock up? Are the DCs secretly wondering why their parents are tight fisted bastards who don't give them anything at Christmas?

AndNowItsSeven Tue 03-Nov-15 22:11:18

Father Christmas brings a stocking and a sack of presents. Dh and I give a present each to the dc and family gifts are under the tree.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 03-Nov-15 22:12:39

I'm not giving the fat arsehole all the credit. I wonder if men did 90% of the work and wrapping whether some random geezer would get the props. I doubt it.

SawdustInMyHair Tue 03-Nov-15 22:12:45

It's never occoured to me that anyone claimed ALL there presents they get for their DCs are from Father Christmas. I've never heard of it before, only FC being responsible for tree presents/stockings/pillowcases, parents the 'main' gift. Not dissing it, just completely alien to me and my contacts!

katienana Tue 03-Nov-15 22:15:31

Father Christmas brings stocking and big presents which are downstairs. Presents from grandma etc are from Grandma. I give santa money for the presents!

happyjustobeme Tue 03-Nov-15 22:17:25

Father Christmas brought everything for everyone when I was growing up. If I had a gift from aunty Dorothy, if was because she had asked Father Christmas to bring it. So I thanked her, as I wouldn't have recieved that gift if it wasn't for her. Same with every gift.

ceeveebee Tue 03-Nov-15 22:35:59

One of my DHs family say everything is from Santa - when my DCs thank her for their presents she always tells them not to as the presents are all from Santa. Very odd. I've never had a word of thanks for anything I've ever bought for her DCs either, presumably as they think Santa brought them all!

Madeyemoodysmum Tue 03-Nov-15 22:37:47

I think it's weird when all gifts are from Santa. Surely kids need to know parents want to give the a gift too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now