Talk

Advanced search

to think that you don't let off a load of helium balloons, whatever the cause?

(152 Posts)
SignoraStronza Tue 03-Nov-15 16:53:25

Found this morning in the hedgerow of a cattle field, a memorial balloon with accompanying length of ribbon and plastic wrapped message. Thankfully I found it before our friend's beasts did.

While I have every sympathy (well, mostly but that's another thread) with the cause that the message was promoting and the bereavement the organisers suffer, AIBU to think that the damage this could have potentially caused to the environment is akin to those sky lanterns that people are finally beginning to get the message about?

There is a request to email with the location it was found - am not sure whether/what I should write. Prepared to be told In a grumpy arse.

NotSayingImBatman Tue 03-Nov-15 16:55:07

Environmental issues aside, you would be an arse of the highest order to send an unpleasant and/or snotty message to someone who is, presumably, grieving.

Sighing Tue 03-Nov-15 16:56:27

It's all littering and all of the associated risks to wildlife / pets. Very, very selfish and damaging to do a balloon release/ lanterns etc. But they do seem to at least be considered tacky and out of fashion now!

SignoraStronza Tue 03-Nov-15 16:56:35

No, of course I wouldn't send a snotty message - am not that insensitive!

Minisoksmakehardwork Tue 03-Nov-15 16:59:16

Maybe write that it was found in a cattle field at X location and allow the organisers to draw their own conclusions?

I agree that you'd be an arse to send a snotogram. But the majority of people I know don't see it as littering in the same way they would if someone dropped a crisp wrapper. Yet that is what it is.

exexpat Tue 03-Nov-15 17:06:23

If I heard of anyone planning a balloon release, I would send them links to balloonsblow.org or www.mcsuk.org/what_we_do/Clean+seas+and+beaches/Campaigns+and+policy/Don't+let+go+-+balloons+and+sky+lanterns.

Once the balloons are already littering the environment, there's probably not much point in taking it up with the organisers. I'd probably go with Minisoks' suggestion.

Jaxsbum Tue 03-Nov-15 17:07:58

if its an organised thing, rather than say a childs funeral.
then I think contacting them is good, hopefully they can think of something else to do next time

Blu Tue 03-Nov-15 17:13:03

I don't understand it. People who would be horrified if their child dropped a crisp packet in a town, where at least street sweepers clear up after litter louts, happily send litter out into our rivers, sea, fields and hedgerows. Having just come back from Suffolk where I saw a dead diving bird horribly tangled in a ribbon from a helium ballon I am not impressed with this stupidity.

AlwaysHope1 Tue 03-Nov-15 17:15:40

oh get over yourself. Seriously?
You don't know the reason for that balloon, and you would not dare say anything to someone if its for a bereavement.

Blu Tue 03-Nov-15 17:18:49

The OP says it is a 'cause ' that the balloon is from which suggests that the e mail is also related to the cause.

Sending an e mail to a charity organising a balloon release is not the same as sending one to an individual.

SlaggyIsland Tue 03-Nov-15 17:21:31

I disagree that the OP should get over herself. It's still litter and it kills wildlife. A bereavement isn't an excuse to behave anti-socially.

SignoraStronza Tue 03-Nov-15 18:40:59

AlwaysHope1 The message attached to the balloon clearly states the reason for the balloon release. As a memorial and to raise awareness.

I'm not going to go into detail on the specific cause, but its a shame that the environmental/livelihood impact want taken into consideration when it was decided to commemorate in this way.

The place it was found is next to a waterway and in a field of livestock.The farmer concerned has already has had to pay out a fortune in vets bills in the past, when a cow has eaten litter left by walkers.

Awaiting an accusation of putting animal life above human life now. hmm

Uptownfuckuup Tue 03-Nov-15 18:43:22

if you emailed me id be tell you to fuck right off

my dc let go balloons on their birthday to send up to nanny in the sky so she knows how old they are

BlueJug Tue 03-Nov-15 18:47:11

I agree - it should attract a fine just like any littering. There are other ways of marking an occasion that don't involve other people clearing up rubbish.

A candle with smoke that goes u to the sky? Nicer and doesn't kill animals.

SlaggyIsland Tue 03-Nov-15 18:48:36

Uptown that's not fair. I've also lost my mum but I wouldn't think it appropriate to litter and cause harm to wildlife.

Palomb Tue 03-Nov-15 18:49:18

No-one should be setting off balloons or Chinese lanterns nowerdays. It was understandable when we were ignorant to the risks they pose to livestock, the environment and properties but now we all know there really is no excuse. It's worse than littering.

specialsubject Tue 03-Nov-15 18:50:02

it is littering, I'm afraid. Best not send to the people concerned, but this kind of thing does need to stop.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 03-Nov-15 18:51:52

Yanbu

JaWellNoFine Tue 03-Nov-15 18:55:20

Uptown. So you remember their lives by causing death. Nice! I think you should grow a conscience.

SignoraStronza Tue 03-Nov-15 18:57:25

Uptownfuckuup Charming! Aside from the fact that someone who's died is highly unlikely to be up in the sky, are you saying that chucking somethibg non-biodegradable and potentially dangerous isn't littering when you a. don't see it come /land and b. is for a 'reason'?

jorahmormont Tue 03-Nov-15 18:59:01

How long until someone brings up MRI/CT scanners?

Palomb Tue 03-Nov-15 19:01:19

What about them?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 03-Nov-15 19:01:55

OP, I'd have a Google around of the "cause" - if it looks like the organiser is not directly impacted by whatever the cause is I would send a snotty email.

Was a post on my FB today from Arran ranger service who had just rescued a seal from a giant "21" helium balloon.

HerbWoman Tue 03-Nov-15 19:03:19

I had read a while back about helium also being a finite resource that can escape earth's gravity when released. As it is used in MRI scanners, using it in balloons might not be the best idea anyway.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 03-Nov-15 19:03:54

They use helium, a finite resource - once it's gone it's gone. It could be argued that using it in balloons is a rather frivolous use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now