Talk

Advanced search

Job adverts specifying that "young" people are wanted

(6 Posts)
wondering105 Tue 03-Nov-15 16:51:03

Am a bit hmm.

Am looking at Teaching English as a Foreign language jobs online and in the space of 10 minutes one advert specified young or young at heart (yeah right - what are the candidates supposed to do to prove how young at heart they are) people. The other just said young.

I get that the students might all be in their 20s, but is it even legal to specify an age range in a job advert?

DisappointedOne Tue 03-Nov-15 16:51:35

It's difficult.

SueDunome Tue 03-Nov-15 16:54:34

Specifying young people is illegal, surely? We have an Age Discrimination Act. I don't think you have to put your date of birth on an application form any more.

mintoil Tue 03-Nov-15 16:56:26

Are the advertised jobs in the UK? If so they cannot ask for "young" people like that, no. It contravenes the Equality Act 2010.

To use a protected characteristic in a job advert, the potential employer has to state there is a "Genuine Occupational Requirement" for the post holder to be male/female/whatever.

This link may help.

Good Luck!

wondering105 Tue 03-Nov-15 16:58:42

That's what I thought sue. I guess the advertisers don't care as people like me (46) have been put off applying.

wondering105 Tue 03-Nov-15 16:59:29

Sorry mintoll x post. Will look at your link.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now