Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think freshly made should mean freshly made.

(35 Posts)
Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 03-Nov-15 11:50:18

Was out yesterday afternoon with dd. Had loads of running around to do, but that's another story, any way we goes into a well established and quite faultless tbh cafe for a small bite to eat.
So dd let's me know that she wants a sandwich and goes up to order 2 sandwiches, now on the board it has written in bold letters Freshly made sandwiches, so the cashier who I have to say was lovely proceeded to take my order. I asked for a chicken and egg mayonnaise sandwich with drinks, anyway she says to me, sorry there's no sandwiches left. So I said well can you not make one up for us, and she said again very politely sorry no, and my reply was, but it says up there that the sandwiches are freshly made but clearly they're not. If they're made in the morning theyre not fresh by 3.30 are tgey. That is misleading.
The cashier just looked at me, anyway I ordered something else and took the drinks over to the table and as I walking away i heard someone mutter. There's always one., isn't there. It made me laugh to be honest.
--I'm not going to fall out with the place, as its very cheap, and I'm as tight as a duck's arse.--grin

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 03-Nov-15 11:51:14

*I goes up, not goes up

MaidOfStars Tue 03-Nov-15 12:02:47

It depends what you think "freshly made" means.

I would assume that they are made somewhere, perhaps not even on site, and sold without going through any storage/freezing process. Some people might think that it means they should be made in front of you. I don't think it's misleading to make fresh sandwiches in the morning and sell them as "fresh" at 3:30pm.

But therein lies my difficulty with your problem. They weren't selling "not fresh" sandwiches at 3:30pm.

Londonista123 Tue 03-Nov-15 12:02:58

Could they have run out of chicken/egg?

I wouldn't expect "freshly made" to mean freshly made - I'd expect "made to order" for this. (As a consequence "freshly made" is meaningless to me - I just take it to mean "made that day").

DriverSurpriseMe Tue 03-Nov-15 12:03:41

I would assume made that day, rather than made to order.

MaidOfStars Tue 03-Nov-15 12:03:52

Could they have run out of chicken/egg?

Which did they run out of first? wink

MaidOfStars Tue 03-Nov-15 12:04:15

Where is my wink? wink

Dh and I once stayed at a hotel, and were warned by dh's colleagues, who were also staying there, to avoid the 'Freshly baked' potatoes, because they were disgusting. We asked the waitress, and she said that they had been baked the day before!

OP, YANBU - freshly made means made-to-order, to me.

BlueSerenity Tue 03-Nov-15 12:08:22

YABU I think. I would assume 'freshly made' referred to food made on site and eaten the same day.

Made to order would be food that was cooked/made when you ordered it.

nameinlights Tue 03-Nov-15 12:10:10

Yabu. To me, freshly made would mean made on the premises at some point that day. So not made off site or the day before.

Londonista123 Tue 03-Nov-15 12:11:42

wink from me maidofstars

grin

MaidOfStars Tue 03-Nov-15 12:13:19

Oh I have no idea. The winks weren't showing on my PC but they are clearly there on my phone!

I wasn't demanding winks! Test: wink

givemushypeasachance Tue 03-Nov-15 12:14:52

The Food Standards Agency have guidance on using words like fresh/natural/etc in marketing. This is what they say about phrases like freshly prepared:

Expressions such as “freshly cooked”, “freshly prepared”, “freshly
baked”, “freshly picked” should have no other connotation than the immediacy of the action being described. Where such expressions are used, it is recommended they be accompanied by an indication (e.g. of the date or time or period – “freshly prepared this morning”) of when the action being described took place.

So it's not going to necessarily mean made to order, but ideally they should make that clear by telling you when it's been made.

Floggingmolly Tue 03-Nov-15 12:15:54

I'd assume freshly made meant made to order, actually. I wouldn't consider food sitting on a warming tray for 6 hours to be so "fresh" it had to be advertised as such...
And there's no way food prepared the day before has any business claiming to be freshly made confused

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 03-Nov-15 12:16:36

Mind you that's nothing. My dd went into Burger King a few months ago with her friend and they were told. There's no burgers. grin and wink
For Madeof

Stillunexpected Tue 03-Nov-15 12:26:47

I am completely falling to see the issue here. Obviously, by 3.30 they had run out of all the fresh ingredients to make sandwiches so the waitress was quite right to say there were no sandwiches left. It would actually reassure me to arrive somewhere at what is, after all, tea time, not lunchtime and be told they had run out of lunch food. I expect you would be complaining equally if they had whipped a container of egg mayo out of the fridge at that point to make a sandwich as obviously that wouldn't meet your definition of "fresh" either!

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 03-Nov-15 12:34:34

Fair enough Still. I never thought of it that way

TinklyLittleLaugh Tue 03-Nov-15 12:37:11

Chicken and egg mayo is a bit of an unnerving buttie though. Incestuous? Caniballistic? I don't know but I wouldn't go there.

Stillunexpected Tue 03-Nov-15 12:41:55

Tinkly I think (hope!) it was two different sandwiches - one each of chicken and egg mayo?

TinklyLittleLaugh Tue 03-Nov-15 12:42:56

blush

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 03-Nov-15 12:48:04

grinLOL. Yes it was two separate sandwiches. Eww chicken and egg on the same sandwich. Ive csme over all nauseous. What a terrible combination.
We need a sick Icon.

sherbetpips Tue 03-Nov-15 13:05:45

never really considered how disgusting chicken and egg would be but yak.... sometimes they put egg mayo on a chicken blt and I have the same reaction.

I get annoyed in fancy pants restaurants when you ask them to make a small change to a meal (i.e. no olives please) and they say sorry it comes already done like that. Straight off the Brakes Brothers truck then.....

AnonymousBird Tue 03-Nov-15 13:07:02

YABU as chicken and egg mayo should NEVER be made, freshly or otherwise!

AnonymousBird Tue 03-Nov-15 13:08:39

OH crap, cross post, two separate sandwiches.... but in my defence, the OP did say "I asked for a chicken and egg mayo sandwich...."

Stillunexpected Tue 03-Nov-15 13:16:03

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now