Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think if you live on a busy road...

(38 Posts)
Shakirasma Mon 02-Nov-15 20:26:31

Particularly one you complain that the speed limit should be lowered, yet you choose to allow your cat out to roam amongst the traffic, then it's no use crying and ranting about selfish, evil drivers when said cat gets run over and killed?

Whilst I am truly sorry for any cats suffering, AIBU to think it's the owners fault just as much, if not more than the driver's?

ragged Mon 02-Nov-15 20:38:10

nice sad

Cookingongas Mon 02-Nov-15 20:41:15

It's no use crying and ranting- will change nothing, but if it makes them feel better when their grieving, well, what's the harm? - unless, you, are in fact, the driver who hit said cat and don't like being made to feel guiltier than you already do? If that's the case- accidents happen, wasn't your fault, but let them vent and let it go.

Leavingsosoon Mon 02-Nov-15 20:41:27

It can be very difficult keeping cats in, firstly. I am worried about this because while the road I am moving to isn't exactly busy, my cats haven't previously been used to traffic at all and they just aren't traffic-wise.

People do go awfully fast in residential areas and unfortunately cats do sometimes just dart across roads so it is a bad combination.

I would cry and I have cried when my cats have died. I've lost two to roads and both times I found them, and the first cat in particular was one I was very attached to and it was hugely upsetting. I can't understand why you think someone wouldn't be upset.

limitedperiodonly Mon 02-Nov-15 20:45:33

I agree. There's not much you can do but if you live on a very busy road then perhaps a cat is not the pet for you.

I live between two and I have inherited a cat. He's not allowed out on his own. I sometimes see neighbourhood cats, but not for long.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Mon 02-Nov-15 21:01:00

I live on a busy road. One of my cats got run over. No one involved was evil or selfish.

Round here the cats that stick to the rural side of the houses survive to a grand old age and have a lovely life full of tasty rabbits, mice, even the odd snake while my house stays pleasingly rodent free. Those cats that like to cross the road don't last long.

jevoudrais Mon 02-Nov-15 21:09:34

This is why I don't/wont own a cat.

Topseyt Mon 02-Nov-15 21:28:25

Fear of them being killed on the road is why I will never have another cat, even though mine has so far been fine and is now 14.

I get what you mean, though your post is perhaps rather insensitively worded. Losing a much loved pet is like losing a family member.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 02-Nov-15 21:31:11

horrible post sad

WhatWouldFlopDo Mon 02-Nov-15 21:39:44

I live on a piece of long straight main road, it's only busy at rush hour, it's quiet now so some drivers absolutely tonk it past - pisses me right off.

My cats are 18 and this is the first time they've lived on a road like this. Thankfully they only venture as far as the back garden for a couple of minutes a day off. I'd hate to lose them to the road after they've got to a ripe old age. Cats aren't like dogs so you can't control where they go and unless you follow them around while they're outside guilty there's nothing you can do to stop them crossing the road.

BastardGoDarkly Mon 02-Nov-15 21:45:45

I wouldn't get a cat if I lived on a busy road, my friend did, and got two cats one after the other, that got run over before they were one sad irresponsible IMO.

Shakirasma Mon 02-Nov-15 21:48:15

Why is it horrible? I'm frustrated with people putting their pets in a situation where they will inevitably get injured or killed, but they are doing nothing to keep their cats safe.

I'm frustrated by their mentality that keeping a house cat is cruel, but cannot see that letting their cat out onto a busy road is even more cruel.

I'm frustrated that after they've mourned the loss of their beloved cat, they go out and get another one, which they allow to roam across the road as they see fit until the inevitable happens again.

Yet they always blame the car drivers.

And I'm not completely insensitive, I'd never say this to a grieving pet owner, I'm venting on here instead.

JCDenton Mon 02-Nov-15 21:50:18

I love cats and animals in general and obviously it's very very sad if a pet dies but I have to say I'm slightly bewildered by people who have their cat out at all hours and are surprised when it goes missing for a few days. It's a cat, they're not known for loyalty, it's probably either hunting for live food or lazing in someone else's house.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 02-Nov-15 22:06:32

I just think that if someone's lost their cat this might be a hard read that's all.

some people would have done their best to keep cats in. but especially this time.of year when fireworks are going off it only takes one going off and an open door for a split second and that's it.....

I just think at that point they feel bad enough without reading this.

we live on a quiet road with lots of cats. you still get the odd twat who thinks they can go zooming along.

hibbleddible Mon 02-Nov-15 22:08:34

You don't sound like a very nice person.

RealityCheque Mon 02-Nov-15 22:14:29

YANBU.

Your OP makes sense. You are not a bad person for thinking what is clearly common sense. The owners of roaming casts ARE selfish.

See also cat shit in others properties.

Shakirasma Mon 02-Nov-15 22:16:33

That's rather harsh hibble, considering I am simply expressing concern for people's animals.

I'm actually rather lovely.

Sparklingbrook Mon 02-Nov-15 22:18:04

YABU. And insensitive.

PunkrockerGirl Mon 02-Nov-15 22:22:19

Not sure what you expected from this tbh. Strange thread and I speak as someone who's had 2 gorgeous cats run over on quiet, rural roads.

bexcee8 Mon 02-Nov-15 22:35:04

Was it you that hit the cat whilst driving?

ValiantMouse Mon 02-Nov-15 22:43:21

My cat was killed on a very quiet road, by a driver doing well over the speed limit. If he'd been doing 20mph he would have been able to stop before he hit her. I know this because I was trying to get her back in after the fucking idiot builders had let her out. when she was in a room they had no business going in

NicoleWatterson Mon 02-Nov-15 22:45:21

I lived on a main road, cat was fine. Moved to a cul d sac he got run over.

Whilst I get what your saying, it's not the most sensitive post. Some times people have to move (e.g renting) to less than ideal places.

Florriesma Mon 02-Nov-15 22:46:15

Cats cover wide areas. I do not know of a single happy house cat. I know a few. I also know a few deluded cat owners.

limitedperiodonly Mon 02-Nov-15 22:53:07

I don't think it's strange, not nice or insensitive. OP sounds rather baffled about someone who blames a driver for running over her cat on a busy road. You don't have to be going fast to kill a cat if it runs out at the wrong moment or in the habit of lurking under warm engines.

As I've said, I'd never have got a cat unless I'd been saddled with this one. He has turned out to be a delight and much too precious to chance his zero-road sense on the roads. He's also not scared of dogs. He thinks they are his friends. Left to his own devices he'd be squashed or ripped to shreds.

hibbleddible Mon 02-Nov-15 22:55:49

shak your op smacks of disdain for someone who just lost their pet, rather than care of the cat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now