Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think I'm NOT allowed to punch members of the public unconcious no matter what my company tells me?

(122 Posts)
WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 02-Nov-15 18:13:03

company is an nhs hospital

Annual study day today and of all the bollocks ive ever heard I reckon this takes the biscuit.

According to the fire officer on this formal study day if there's a fire and someone is refusing to evacuate "as an nhs employee you are allowed to punch them unconcious and then drag them out"

He wasn't joking, not at all.

Questioning colleagues later on its something he's said to other groups on other days.

I really don't think he's right. Surely even a police officer can't punch someone unconcious? What happened to informed choice! People are allowed to make stupid decisions if they want.

What if I do an unlucky punch and kill someone with one punch? What if I struggle to knock them out? Do I just keep battering them?

And most importantly dragging uncooperative people out of burning buildings is surely going to slow down my own escape!

littleducks Mon 02-Nov-15 18:17:14

Please request training on the correct way to punch someone unconcious from your trust hmm. Sou2a like the most bizarre thing to say.

AnotherCider Mon 02-Nov-15 18:18:23

If there's fire, and someone won't leave the building, they will be endangering the rescue services who attend the fire and will be required to go in and get them, so technically I guess although you'd be guilty of an assault, you'd have complete defence because by punching them unconscious you'd be protecting someone else's life.

But.... I wouldn't do it!!!

Thurlow Mon 02-Nov-15 18:21:06

Hmm... you can kind of see where they are coming from, in a weird way. A very, very weird way. If everyone else was in danger too or something.

Can't imagine it's something anyone would actually do though!

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Mon 02-Nov-15 18:21:57

People who do fire training in the NHS just seem to be very odd generally and in a world of their own. Luckily I missed my last update due to sickness

Thurlow Mon 02-Nov-15 18:22:56

What happened to informed choice! People are allowed to make stupid decisions if they want.

Thinking about that sentence, people aren't allowed to make stupid decision, are they? Because a "stupid" decision, like staying in a burning building, would be considered the same as trying to jump off a bridge, and in that case the police or doctors can section you for your own benefit.

Wolfiefan Mon 02-Nov-15 18:23:16

You could but then the NHS would fire you and you'd have to do a Daily Fail sad face.
grin

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 02-Nov-15 18:23:50

Absolutely not. No one is sufficiently trained, accurate and prescient to know what it would take to make someone unconscious. You could kill them. You could certainly give them a concussion or head injury.

Has this idiot been watching too much Star Trek? You're not Spock.

InisMor Mon 02-Nov-15 18:24:08

I'd punch them.

(Then I'd eat them....)

Ok, maybe not.

CassieBearRawr Mon 02-Nov-15 18:24:31

Anyone refusing to leave gets left in my organisation.

I've left people in the past when I worked in a pub. They refused to leave because they'd finally got some good seats (or wanted to steal from behind the bar while the place was empty more like) so I left them and informed the fire brigade there were 6 people upstairs and let them deal with it.

MrsKoala Mon 02-Nov-15 18:25:15

This could be open to abuse surely. I can see people setting fire to their own office then punching out Janet from accounts and saying she was uncooperative. No? is that just me then? blush

MabelSideswipe Mon 02-Nov-15 18:26:04

I am pretty sure if I attempted to punch another adult unconscious it would go very badly for me unless they were very very small and weak.

YesterdayOnceMore Mon 02-Nov-15 18:27:11

Who would refuse to leave a burning building??

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 02-Nov-15 18:27:45

I told my boss and he laughed and said what if you think there's a fire? You could punch someone who's annoying you and claim you smelt smoke. grin

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 02-Nov-15 18:28:17

It also takes a significant amount of force. DH is a big bloke and a black belt and he would have some trouble. People aren't designed to collapse at the first punch.

HortonWho Mon 02-Nov-15 18:29:03

So you're saying a patient who is in a hospital and may well not be of a sound mind due to illness, medication or a combination of both.. Should be left behind by staff in a burning building?

Scarydinosaurs Mon 02-Nov-15 18:29:30

Yeah, this doesn't sound like it's mandatory. I wouldn't be punching anyone and instead just fleeing with my arms flaying, grabbing everyone who wanted to come on my way.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 02-Nov-15 18:29:36

I wonder if you could punch Janet from Accounts and when she sued you, counter-sue the fire officer...

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 02-Nov-15 18:29:59

I think as well as people who refuse to leave you can punch people who generally aren't following instructions in an evacuation. So if someone is panicking and charging recklessly down the stairs you jump on them and pummel them.

SurlyCue Mon 02-Nov-15 18:30:03

So then you have to drag an unconscious person out of the hospital? confused

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 02-Nov-15 18:30:39

So you're saying a patient who is in a hospital and may well not be of a sound mind due to illness, medication or a combination of both.. Should be left behind by staff in a burning building? Rather than punching them unconscious? Yes.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 02-Nov-15 18:31:31

I wish I'd known this when I worked at my old job... We had regular fire evacuations and knobbers.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 02-Nov-15 18:31:50

horton. Id do my best to intimidate someone to evacuate, Id go as far as shoving them out the door/pulling them along. But I don't think I'm up for punching people unconcious.

I might email the hospital training team and asking for clarification on this.

Narp Mon 02-Nov-15 18:35:22

sharon

I also had odd fire training when I worked in the NHS. Sort of gleeful worst-case scenarios told by wise old Uncle.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 02-Nov-15 18:35:58

Hahaha oh my god of course you can't punch people unconscious. For one thing, they would punch you back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now