Talk

Advanced search

To try and negotiate my notice to co-incide with the start of my new job??

(13 Posts)
SweetBrownsBronchitis Mon 02-Nov-15 16:14:36

Tomorrow I am handing in my notice on a job I have been in for just under two months. Manager will NOT be happy so I'm kind of dreading it.

If I give one months notice from tomorrow I will obviously finish work on the 3rd December however the start date of my new job is the 14th December meaning I'll lose over a week's money.

If however, I go in tomorrow and tell her I'm giving 5 weeks notice - it will coincide with my new job start date.

Or do I just take the financial hit and give a month's notice as of tomorrow?

btw, I have annual leave owing - do they HAVE to pay me it if there is no time to actually take it?

Choughed Mon 02-Nov-15 16:17:15

Can you give notice in 10 days time?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 02-Nov-15 16:18:29

They either have to let you take it or pay you, but they can choose.

You can try to give five weeks notice. They can tell you that they only want four, if that's all you are contractually obliged to give, but most places will let you work more because it gives them longer to find and hire your replacement.

GreenSand Mon 02-Nov-15 16:18:47

Why not hand in your notice a month before you want to leave?

mintoil Mon 02-Nov-15 16:22:12

I don't understand - why don't you just wait a few more days before handing in your notice?

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 02-Nov-15 16:24:16

If you are still in probationary period is it not one week's notice? I'd double check your contract in case they say - fine go in one week then.

lougle Mon 02-Nov-15 16:26:55

Give notice to coincide with your new job (so give the notice 1 month before your new start date). Yes they must pay you any outstanding leave.

VimFuego101 Mon 02-Nov-15 16:30:11

I wouldn't give notice any earlier than I had to. Do it exactly one month from when you want to leave.

MrsDeathOfRats Mon 02-Nov-15 16:33:27

Agree with MrsCambell,
Double check that your not in a probationary period and therefore can give 1 weeks notice.

And also, if it's 4 weeks notice then give it 4 weeks before new job starts. Just delay giving notice til required.

Fluffyears Mon 02-Nov-15 17:58:20

Don't give notice until the 4 weeks point. They also have to pay any holiday you have accrued but not used when you leave. Can you see if you can take it during your notice period. My colleague gave 4 weeks notice but the final 2 weeks were annual leave.

ClaraLane Mon 02-Nov-15 18:02:39

Can I just say that most places ask for a calendar month's notice, not 4 weeks and it does my head in when people give me their "4 weeks notice" and I have to explain it's actually one month because they normally get really shirty with me about it. (I know you got it right OP!)

I would just wait and hand it in 1 calendar month before your new job starts, so in your case the end of your contract is 13th December. Where I work we either have to make it possible for you to take your annual leave as part of your notice period or we have to pay you for it. We definitely wouldn't be able to make you sacrifice it completely. Obviously you'd only be entitled to any annual leave earned since you started 2 months ago, not for the entire annual leave year.

DontMindMe1 Mon 02-Nov-15 23:31:55

you only owe them one week's notice!

MardyKnickers Fri 06-Nov-15 16:15:23

When people are leaving at mine I just ask for them to submit notice including their last date they will be working...as far as I'm concerned the more notice the better so I can replace them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: