Talk

Advanced search

I know I'm being unreasonable but still worried sick

(28 Posts)
Beth2511 Sat 31-Oct-15 23:04:46

DD is 11 months, apart from a tiny sniffle she has never been poorly until tonight. She has had nappy rash which has started bleeding, the rash seems to now be on her face and her temp has gone from 37.2 to 38.5 in 1 hour. Calpol hasn't done anything and she is far far from her usual self.

I'm irriationally worried sad Called out of hours and waiting for a call back but please someone just put my mind at rest.

Also, it's probably relevent to say that a long time friend of mine had a little boy pass away 2 months ago who was just a few months older, he was perfectly healthy and in the space of 12 hours became lethargic with a high temp and never woke up. I know this is the cause of me being so stressed but I can't get it off my mind.

GruntledOne Sat 31-Oct-15 23:05:49

Have you done the glass test, OP?

TimeToMuskUp Sat 31-Oct-15 23:09:44

There's no point in telling you not to worry; all parents do, let alone ones who have a friend who've lost a child so recently so no wonder you're terrified.

All I can do is hold your hand and offer some support til OOH phone back. Calpol works more as a pain reliever and to reduce temperatures I was always told to use Ibuprofen. Strip them down to nappies, make sure the room is cool (but not cold) and offer fluids. And make yourself a cup of tea if you can, and a round of toast or something to keep yourself going if you're going to have a rough night with her.

Lauren15 Sat 31-Oct-15 23:12:19

You poor thing. Most likely your DD is fine but as she's so young, observe her very carefully and trust your instincts. As pp said, do the glass test.

VimFuego101 Sat 31-Oct-15 23:14:52

Agree with the glass test, just to reassure yourself. Also, is she teething? DS had shocking nappy rash when he had teeth coming through.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 31-Oct-15 23:15:18

i hope ooh ring back soon. Don't be fobbed off if you are worried and want her seen.

MillionToOneChances Sat 31-Oct-15 23:17:09

How long ago did you give the paracetamol? It'll take a while to work. Mine always spiked a fever with the merest cold and I could never control it with paracetamol alone - I was told I could use ibuprofen at the same time so you could check with out of hours if that's still considered ok.

The glass test: www.meningitisnow.org/meningitis-explained/signs-and-symptoms/glass-test/

TheoriginalLEM Sat 31-Oct-15 23:17:39

am also thinking along the lines of teething. my dd used to get a rash on her face and temperature spikes. hopefully its just that but if you have concerns. listen to them.

littlenicky61 Sat 31-Oct-15 23:18:15

Is she teething ? Sometimes this can cause bad nappy rash and also if she is dribbling a lot that can cause rash on the face and its not uncommon for them to get temperatures too. Hope its not too long before you get a call back . Its always worrying when they get poorly and are not themselves xxx

MillionToOneChances Sat 31-Oct-15 23:22:19

NHS guidance for paracetamol and ibuprofen - in short they seem to be more cautious with spacing than the advice I was given a decade ago, but it's still a way to be able to give a dose before you can next use the same medicine, if the child is still distressed.
www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2569.aspx?CategoryID=73

MillionToOneChances Sat 31-Oct-15 23:23:32

Does sound like teething is a real possibility. You could have a look and a feel, it might set your mind at ease more quickly.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 31-Oct-15 23:23:43

It could well be teething or something else innocuous that's upset her stomach first causing the nappy rash and then given her a rash from dribbling. Or it could be something else that needs seeing. Almost all doctors would prefer to check an unwell baby in any case. You'll probably be sent somewhere to see someone to be safe.

RebeccaCloud9 Sat 31-Oct-15 23:31:01

Hand foot and mouth is running rampant where I live at the mo. My 11 month old got a nasty case of it and was poorly for about a week, but it was never serious, just grotty. Sounds like it could be that?

Ohfourfoxache Sat 31-Oct-15 23:52:58

Oh Beth I'm sure she'll be fine. You've done the right thing calling 111 but trust your gut instinct. If you're not happy with the advice you're given, take it further.

It's completely understandable that you're worried sad thanks

GlitteryFluff Sat 31-Oct-15 23:55:42

I think it's always best to get babies checked out so i'd have called ooh/111/whoever to speak to someone too. Hopefully all is ok. thanks

BlinkAndMiss Sat 31-Oct-15 23:56:07

Oh OP I was just about to start a thread about this sort of thing, I know exactly how you feel and you are absolutely not being unreasonable. Here to hand hold and offer a bit of advice.

Ok so DS was poorly last week with a high temperature that we struggled to control with Calpol (above 40). We took him to the walk in clinic when he started to shake (rigours, not convulsions) and they explained things to me which helped to settle my mind. A temperature of up to 39 is fine when a child is ill, it means the body is doing what it should be doing to fight the infection. Calpol and/or ibuprofen can be given to make the child more comfortable but it's ok to leave the temperature if it's settled at that point.

If the child shakes it's the body trying to warm itself up faster, it's important to get to medical help at this point but when it's caused by a usually harmless infection (like tonsillitis or an ear infection) it's not too much of a worry once they're on their way to a dr. Calpol/ibuprofen can be used to control it so should definitely be given at this point.

Even if the temperature leads to convulsions, these in themselves are not dangerous and are some children's natural reaction to temperatures. I feel like a hypocrite saying this because I can't imagine how awful it must be to experience this but once a dr had said this to me it really helped me to calm and prepare myself, I was much more capable of looking after DS knowing that a lot of it was 'normal'.

A dr can give you a dosage guide of Calpol and ibuprofen based on your DD's weight so you know you're giving her exactly the right amount. You can combine the two but this really has to be guided by a dr/nurse as they will know what works but they advised us so that we were giving something every 3 hours if his temperature was shooting up before the last dose of one was up (this was under their guidance and we wouldn't do it otherwise so dont do it - I've included this so that you know there are other things they can do, don't think that medicine isn't working). Please don't hang about waiting for that call back, go to a walk in clinic or even A&E and they will help you. It's more than likely it's nothing serious but the stress of the situation, considering recent events, means you could use some support and these places will be more than happy to help you.

It's awful, but I promise you it does happen to everyone despite it feeling like a lonely time. Don't use cold flannels/baths etc, make sure she's not in a draught but keep the room cool and offer fluids regularly.

I hope she's feeling better soon and that you are too. X

kzedii Sat 31-Oct-15 23:57:11

I would see how she goes in next two hours, and check the meningitis symptoms so you are aware of the signs.
To everyone that says do the glass test, yes try it but please do not rely on that as the rash can disappear under the glass and it can still be meningitis. Also if you suspect meningitis either call an ambulance or go to a&e and tell them you suspect it.
My little one is teething and has got very bad rash on bottom and her cheeks go bright red when her temperature goes up. Have been giving ibuprofen or nurofen now, as calpol would take a while to work and they do work faster as pain relief.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Sun 01-Nov-15 00:01:49

The glass test - if they have a septicaemia rash, this is a REALLY late sign of meningitis and they would be SERIOUSLY ill at this point.
No health professional in their right mind would complain if you took your DD to see someone if you're that worried. thanks

expatinscotland Sun 01-Nov-15 00:05:20

I'd take her in.

thewavesofthesea Sun 01-Nov-15 00:38:18

I am a doctor and I remember taking my youngest in to A&E at a similar age for similar. I also used to work in Paeds A&E and this sort of thing was so common to see. We didn't mind as we would rather see hundreds of kids like this than the one who is seriously sick.

Italiangreyhound Sun 01-Nov-15 01:07:16

Take your child in to get checked out. Once you know all is well you can then rest.

Tell us how she is doing.

Good luck.

TheDowagerCuntess Sun 01-Nov-15 01:18:43

No helpful advice but couldn't read and not post.

I would take her to the out of hours doctor, if I were you, just for your own peace of mind.

diggerdigsdogs Sun 01-Nov-15 01:19:20

I'd also take her in.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 01-Nov-15 01:43:58

I'd take her to A+E.

BrieAndChilli Sun 01-Nov-15 01:52:05

Ive never been one to run to the doctor, always self treat at home.
But a few weeks ago ds1 had what appeared to be a tummy bug- sickness, tummy pain, not eating. This went on for 2 days and we assumed his tummy was hurting because he hadn't eaten/pulled a muscle while being sick etc.
Turned out he had appendicitis and by the time they operated it had burst, aprantley pus hot out when they cut him open!
99% of times children are OK, just poorly but 1% of times it is that worst case scenario so now I would always say if you aren't sure then take them to be checked out, better safe than sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now