Talk

Advanced search

To be upset/angry about this "psychics" comments?

(11 Posts)
PiperChapstick Sat 31-Oct-15 22:52:07

We were visiting DHs auntie today, and his cousin was there. Auntie said how much DD looked like me, and it got on to a conversation about who looks like who in the family. Auntie, who has never met any of my blood relatives, said "are you like your mum or your dad Piper" and I said "I'm the spitting image of my dad". Cousin said "oh yes I totally agree, you especially have his chin".

Now, my dad died 3 years ago (auntie and cousin know this). Cousin never met him. There is one photo on display of him in my bedroom but cousin or auntie have never been to our house, we always go to them (I double checked with DH after and he confirmed this). I have never put any pictures of him on social media, nor have any of my blood relatives. So at first I thought "eh, how does she know that", then it dawned on me

Well, she very openly and very proudly claims to be psychic/a clairvoyant. So in what she was saying she implied that she had seen his ghost or vision, or whatever.

Now I don't believe in psychics or clairvoyancy and it took me a while to figure out what she meant. I was so confused and actually quite embarrassed so I said nothing in response.

I went home and looked at his photo. Dads chin was nothing like mine. His was round, mine is pointy. Which makes me think she used the opportunity of a dead person being mentioned to show off her alleged skills, not taking into account how it made me feel. It really upsets me the thought of her having seen or spoken to him - even though I don't believe any of it, why would she bring it up? Why not just say nothing?i wish it was true and that I could talk to Dad for hours, but I know it's not.

AIBU or just precious? And WIBU to tell her to never mention anything about my dad to me again?

Pico2 Sat 31-Oct-15 22:57:27

YANBU. I opened this thread expecting to say 'well you shouldn't visit a 'psychic' if you are not going to like what they say' and that it's rubbish. But you didn't even choose to go to a psychic.

I think you'd be doing her a favour telling her how you feel, as she probably pisses off other people like this too. But I doubt she'd thank you for it.

PiperChapstick Sun 01-Nov-15 09:39:29

I think she does Pico. When SIL was pregnant she went up to her, whispered "it's a boy" in her ear and then carried on doing whatever she was doing. SIL had a girl.

SolitudeSometimesIs Sun 01-Nov-15 09:45:58

She sounds like an attention seeking cowbag. Next time she does something like that could you not roll your eyes and say "For a supposed psychic you get a lot of stuff wrong". For extra effect do a head tilt and patronising smile.

I have a friend and her DH claims to be psychic, he has never once gotten anything right, it's attention seeking rubbish.

annandale Sun 01-Nov-15 09:52:06

Really shocked at this. I'm sure it's not accidental that she takes this hit and run approach that you can't do anything about while she's there.

I wouldn't be able to challenge someone like this but if you think you can, ring her and tell her how upset you have been. Someone as insensitive as this won't respond the way you hope though.

DelphiBlue Sun 01-Nov-15 09:57:07

She sounds like a dick. And clearly not a very good psychic.
I know a few people who are psychics and they would NEVER give out info/readings without being asked to.
She's just an attention seeker and you should call her up on it. She was really insensitive and out of order.

Lotsofplanetshaveanorth Sun 01-Nov-15 10:15:40

I think if you respond you will be feeding the troll... She will respond with something super annoying and patronising about you not being sufficiently enlightened to get her "gift"

Twat.

bronnie98 Sun 01-Nov-15 10:18:19

I know we are supposed to rise above these things but personally I am at a stage in life where I just don't tolerate this kind of bull. YANBU - I'd definitely say something (politely but firmly). What an absolute moo!

PiperChapstick Sun 01-Nov-15 11:54:26

Thanks everyone, Have spoken with DH about it (he was out the room by the time she said this) and he thinks it's awful and will say something when he sees her. She's starting hosting "psychic parties" (which seems to be like Tupperware parties but people have their fortunes read/clairvoyancy) and thinks it was maybe some bizarre sales pitch type of thing - she was telling us both earlier in the day how she's started them up on the side of being unemployed and would we or anyone we know be interested. Only £25 per head shock we politely declined.

GhostsComeWith Sun 01-Nov-15 12:25:52

OP I totally feel for you and empathise as I very unfortunately have an entire set of inlaws like this & it can be incredibly insensitive. I do not believe in any of it and they are particularly shit at it too. Dh's grandmother was the worst (though his mum is giving it a good shot now too). We struggled with ttc'ing for many many many years and she would proclaim stuff like 'you'll have a boy very soon'. We never had a boy. in fact we never had another child (had one prior to the ttc issues). Used to piss me off no end. And made me dread seeing them as I deliberately never ever ever asked any thing about her 'gift' and avoided all talk of it but she would ram it down my throat anyway.....

I always felt it was a perfect way for her to reaffirm her very superior attitudes - she was 'helping' all these sad people (some veyr vulnerable people used to pay for her 'services') I always felt this was very morally dubious but kept this opinion to myself (apart from asking dh never to seek advice from any of them in relation to our relationship and our dd -which he fully respected)

She also incorrectly predicted the sex of two of her great grandchildren and then claimed it is 'harder to get a clear reading when you are related to the person' grin

The family have been very hurtful to dh too, claiming to have had contact from his deceased father who apparently had wonderful visions of the future for his (highly competitive sister) and a less complimentary 'message' for dh - a load of bollox but very hurtful all the same

PiperChapstick Sun 01-Nov-15 12:43:04

Ghosts flowers I'm so sorry for you, that has to be one of the most insensitive things I've ever heard and I think you're very strong for not throttling them! I'm not sure if people genuinely believe they have a 'gift' or if they are being a manipulative shit on purpose - either way I find this kind of behaviour very inappropriate sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now