Talk

Advanced search

Stop me! Please!

(34 Posts)
Wotsup Sat 31-Oct-15 20:44:12

I'm eating the sweets the trick or treaters didn't take. Trouble is I'm a newly diagnosed T2 diabetic! I haven't eaten sweets for a while.

Please say something to make me stop!

HackerFucker22 Sat 31-Oct-15 20:45:49

Open all the sweets, put them in a bowl and pour bleach on them. NOW

Or exercise some self control.

NothingNewUnderTheSun Sat 31-Oct-15 20:45:54

Neuropathy. Blindness. Skin conditions. Amputations.

Anything else I can say to help? Just stop eating the sweets - you're not just eating shit, you are actively harming yourself.

Pancakeflipper Sat 31-Oct-15 20:46:54

Open your door and leave them outside.

HackerFucker22 Sat 31-Oct-15 20:47:06

Sorry for my brevity but you really need to get rid of the sweets. I say this as someone who battles with their weight and has very little self control with sweet stuff.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 31-Oct-15 20:47:09

For goodness sake - stop

Put them outside in the wheely bin now and pour bleach on them

Runningoutofnamesagain Sat 31-Oct-15 20:51:17

You really need to stop. It won't do your long term health any good at all

My 5 y o dd has type 1 diabetes. She went trick or treating tonight, got home with a huge bag of treats and sat and sorted out what had wheat in (she's intolerant) and have it to me then picked out one sweet and put the rest away "for tomorrow".

I know it's hard when you want something sweet but you have to think long term. It's not worth it

Wotsup Sat 31-Oct-15 20:51:46

OMG! Got the sweats now! I'm an absolute prat! I feel sick so will stop. Thanks for the telling offs and the reality checks. XXX

slightlyconfused85 Sat 31-Oct-15 20:52:02

What? Get a grip op and exercise some self control- you are harming yourself. Give them to your kids? Throw them out?

Stellar67 Sat 31-Oct-15 20:53:17

I'm in huge agreement and also taking the advice regarding bleaching the sweets. Right now.

travailtotravel Sat 31-Oct-15 21:00:37

Me too, OP. I have no self control at all when it comes to sugar though. So, so hard. I think I need CBT or something.

gamerchick Sat 31-Oct-15 21:03:17

My SIL ignored her T2D and is currently in and out of hospital dying with a humming and harring about whether it's worth cutting her foot off or not..My ex mil took 4 years to die from diagnosis because she refused to point blank to stop eating the sugary stuff. We had to go regular and sniff out her hidey places but she was better at hiding despite the carrier bags of shit we used to throw out.

Not to mention my husband who likes to keep his sugars slightly high to avoid hypos and I have to shoehorn for his check ups with the nurse and has glaucoma now.

It's not a game, pack it in. Throw them away.

ChazsBrilliantAttitude Sat 31-Oct-15 21:05:30

Make sure you don't have any sweet stuff in the house for the next couple of days. If your blood sugar gets out of balance you will have to watch for cravings for the next few days.

Wotsup Sat 31-Oct-15 21:11:48

Thanks again. Have drunk loads of water and now off to bed.

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 31-Oct-15 21:16:48

hmm

Runningoutofnamesagain Sat 31-Oct-15 21:17:01

Lots of water is a great idea, it'll help flush it all out. And remember tomorrow is a new day so dont feel too guilty about eating so much sugar tonight, just try to avoid it in future

Battleshiphips2 Sat 31-Oct-15 21:21:33

Wotsup I have a small bowl of fruit with either single cream or coconut cream as a treat. Choose lower carb fruit and it's lovely. Far better than eating sweets and chocolate and you still get a little sweet fix. I keep my hbac1 to around 40, by using little tricks like this.

Runningoutofnamesagain Sat 31-Oct-15 21:24:00

I'd second what battleships said. Dd often has plain alpro soya yogurt and berries as a low carb but really delicious breakfast/snack and it really doesn't affect her blood sugar much at all

Runningoutofnamesagain Sat 31-Oct-15 21:24:49

Sugar free jelly is a good treat too

PunkrockerGirl Sat 31-Oct-15 21:34:22

Sugar free jelly is lovely mixed in with a low fat yogurt.

When dc were small I used to take the washing up liquid to the table and squirt it (surreptitiously) over their plates when they'd finished so I couldn't gorge on their leftovers smile

Battleshiphips2 Sat 31-Oct-15 21:43:22

Yep sugarfree jelly is great too. You do have to be careful with fruit as it can spike your blood sugars. I eat paleo so eat fruit to get my carbs as I don't usually eat things like bread, potato, pasta and rice. I only eat meat, fish, veg (not pots and I'm careful of higher carb ones), fruit, nuts and seeds.

Wotsup Sun 01-Nov-15 17:37:36

Thanks again all. I've had a better day today but still haven't been an angel. WHY? when I know it's damaging me can I NOT stop?! weird.

If you haven't got diabetes I'm not sure you'd understand it; We all react differently to different foods so, with all due respect, what your relative experienced may not be what someone else will.

I will take all the above help on board though.

Runningoutofnamesagain Sun 01-Nov-15 17:57:18

Are you on tablets or insulin injections for your type 2?

I agree it's hard to understand unless you're going through it yourself. It's a huge life change suddenly having to keep blood sugar at the right level and everything else that comes with it. Don't feel bad about an occasional slip up just try to do the best you can x

InTheBox Sun 01-Nov-15 18:11:34

In the kindest possible way you need to get a grip and a hold on yourself. This is health related, not a 'treat' of sorts.

Wotsup Sun 01-Nov-15 21:41:02

"This is health related, not a 'treat' of sorts"

I don't understand this bit InTheBox

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: