Talk

Advanced search

to not answer door to any more trick or treaters?

(110 Posts)
Celeriacacaca Sat 31-Oct-15 18:25:10

First knock on the door tonight and there were 22, yes 22, children with a group of adults. Who does this? Are there coach loads of people trick and treating these days? Surely you split up into little groups. I'd stocked up on loads of sweets (two tubs of Celebrations, multibags of Haribos and three bags of toffees) but cannot believe it that they took handfuls each and cleaned us out completely. May as well have just given them the bowl too. Not one word of thanks from the kids or parents. Fuckers.

dementedma Sat 31-Oct-15 18:26:45

Just don't answer the door. That's what I do and it works fine for me. No money wasted on sugar laden crap and no greedy kids feed.

JeffsanArsehole Sat 31-Oct-15 18:28:18

You take a sweet out and put it in each bag wishing them Happy Halloween. I've never had any kid trying to put their hand in my sweet pumpkin.

Madbengalmum Sat 31-Oct-15 18:28:38

I hate halloween, it is just begging as far as im concerned and not a thankyou in sight.
Dont answer the door full stop.

ToadsforJustice Sat 31-Oct-15 18:29:30

I don't get the whole trick or treat thing. It's an awful custom imported from the Americas. I refuse to answer my door. Fuckers indeed. angry

clary Sat 31-Oct-15 18:30:05

That's rubbish OP. I have only had a few small groups and they have been v polite, chosen a lolly each and all said thank you and Happy Halloween. sad for you.

dementedpixie Sat 31-Oct-15 18:30:26

I make up wee bags so you can control how much they get. Have given out about 40 already

22? Sheesh, that would be over half my party bags gone in an instant!!

TwatByName Sat 31-Oct-15 18:33:02

That's pretty shocking shock there's always one who takes a massive handful, and I suppose if they were the first to grab in a group that size then they all follow suit.

No advice, but if you are out of treats, I suppose you can't open the door any more tonight

CocoChanel22 Sat 31-Oct-15 18:33:50

I feel for you! Last year I lived in a mid terrace house on a busy street, come Halloween we had massive groups who did the same! Just took handfuls! Used to annoy me to! ... This year I live in a cottage in the middle of know where so no trick or treaters!

switswoo81 Sat 31-Oct-15 18:33:51

Just sent dh down to aldi.have given out 50 bags and running out. Live on an estate with about 40 kids don't know where they are all coming from .
Disconnecting bell once it's dd 8 months bedtime .

Doublebubblebubble Sat 31-Oct-15 18:34:44

Rule of thumb for me is that if you have decorations up - any child can knock... If you don't want any more make sure that you take down all of your decs if you are done. I have a 15 day old ds and have written a note to the affect of "we will not be answering the door after 8pm" (everyone in our area knows we have a nb) 22 children in one go sounds mad. mob like. Hopefully you don't get anymore like that xx

TwatByName Sat 31-Oct-15 18:35:02

My witches hat didn't work thlshock

nightmarehair Sat 31-Oct-15 18:35:43

I just don't answer the door, most people lead pretty quickly anyway once they hear mdog barking at the door and staring at them in the window. Works well for us.

EatDessertFirst Sat 31-Oct-15 18:35:50

We just don't open the door here. Gobby, masked teenagers that want money are the norm and its horrible. YANBU.

nightmarehair Sat 31-Oct-15 18:35:54

Leave*

Tapirs Sat 31-Oct-15 18:36:14

We have no sign at all that we are doing halloween and still the fuckers knocked...during the RWC Final as well shock

hesterton Sat 31-Oct-15 18:36:58

Aw I just had the sweetest group of 5-6 yr olds with their mums. And the little boy from across the road. I don't mind it when they're little and have made a huge effort to look scary!

Doublebubblebubble Sat 31-Oct-15 18:37:46

Also, like pp I do premade bags (stickers, a few sweets (you're only a kid once) and a bit of homemade carrot cake. We love halloween dh is Canadian x

Clobbered Sat 31-Oct-15 18:37:49

Sitting in darkened house with everything locked etc. Bloody Halloween - hate it! DH thinks I'm a right curmudgeon...

Ollienoodles45isbananas Sat 31-Oct-15 18:37:54

Didn't buy any sweets this year for the same reason grin I'm in the bath with a large wine ignoring the door...it's bloody blisswink

HearTheThunderRoar Sat 31-Oct-15 18:38:04

YANBU, especially with 22 people. Thats ridiculous!

It's early morning here, we shut the gate to our drive way last night and had no one, they obviously knew to leave us alone. Brilliant grin

I don't mind Halloween but rarely you get any tricks, they are just after lollies. Also we have had a tough week here and I am not in the mood for celebrating. Plus I am skint so cannot afford lollies.

Tbh it's pointless anyway, as we're in the southern hemisphere and it's still broad daylight!

gamerchick Sat 31-Oct-15 18:39:35

some parents do organise going to a couple of different areas rather than staying local. A good nights work for ket isn't it really?

I haven't had any knock yet, my lights are off because I forget to get sweets in and cant be arsed to go to the shop. I do like to see the tiny ones all dressed up though.. Next year maybe.

Shelby2010 Sat 31-Oct-15 18:40:30

Anyone know time are they likely to stop coming? Surely the little kids should be heading for bed by 7pm?

Normally we switch the lights off and hide, but DD1 is very excited by the whole Halloween thing this year so getting her to hand out sweets is better than having to take her out trick or treating ourselves.

Celeriacacaca Sat 31-Oct-15 18:40:53

I generally don't mind it and enjoy having the kids I know, and others, in the area knock the door but this was like organised crime! Brought the pumpkin back in after they'd gone as can't get to shops to get more sweets now. Am rapidly becoming an anti-Halloweener, not on religious grounds but just how it's become so much of a money-spinner for shops and that grabbiness seems to becoming evident in more of the kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now