Talk

Advanced search

To wish this anxiety would just die already

(9 Posts)
Faye12345 Sat 31-Oct-15 11:40:47

Hello. Im an anxious person and it appears to be getting worse with age. After a stressful year i find myself worrying about everything to the point of exhaustion! Anyone else feel like this??

AliceScarlett Sat 31-Oct-15 11:44:15

Type in worry management self help into Google. Might help to work through some booklets. The Exeter CEDAR one is good.

Could refer to your local IAPT service?

Worrying us horrible, you can't get away from it. Exhausting sad

flowers

Squeegle Sat 31-Oct-15 11:47:55

Yes!! I am worrying about where the kids are, imagining the worst, whether I have turned off hair straighteners, getting ready to go on holiday, can't face social occasions, obsessing about health conditions. Feel like I'm a failure, can't concentrate when I'm worrying about something - and am worrying a lot!

It has just occurred to me this level of anxiety is not normal. But not sure what to do about it sad
Apart from escape the world by staying in which is a bit dull

motheroreily Sat 31-Oct-15 11:52:38

Please do as suggested and see if you can refer to your local iapt team. I have been having cbt over the phone and although I still have moments of anxiety it is not as frequent and I've been learning how to deal with it better. cake

jeanmiguelfangio Sat 31-Oct-15 13:10:13

I second/third/millionth the cbt. It has done wonders for my anxiety. It teaches coping mechanisms as well as understanding why you feel that way.
Anxiety is shit. flowers

hefzi Sat 31-Oct-15 16:39:09

Another vote for CBT: it doesn't stop you being anxious, but it helps you deal with it. I spend a lot of time telling myself (outloud) to "sift the evidence" - I was the most horrendous catastrophiser from a really early age, and CBT really, really helped.

ScarlettDarling Sat 31-Oct-15 16:45:20

CBT didn't do much for me, but a low dose of Sertraline has really helped. I'm still anxious, but it doesn't overwhelm me like it did. You need to seek help though op, things won't change unless you do. If your anxiety is affecting your quality of life, then it is a problem and a trip to your GP is the first step in helping yourself flowers

Faye12345 Sat 31-Oct-15 18:37:00

Thanks guys. Im booked onto a mindfulness course see if that helps? As awful and blamey as this sounds i do put some blame on my upbringinghmm. Maybe i would still be the same without that influence though!

Owllady Sat 31-Oct-15 18:39:46

The mind over mood book is good as well
My anxiety is awful tonight, so I have every sympathy!
I've done the mindfulness course through the wellbeing service and it was useful but I think you have to be open minded

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: