Talk

Advanced search

to think the phrase "I trust him/her ... I just don't trust other people" is stupid?

(10 Posts)
BigOCupOfTea Fri 30-Oct-15 20:54:24

Listening to a work colleague say that today.

She trusts her boyfriend but not other women.

Surely if you trust your partner thats all that matters?

PiperChapstick Fri 30-Oct-15 20:56:36

YANBU. if they do actually trust their partner, then they trust them to rebuff any advances from those other "untrustworthy" women. It's not like a man is forced to sleep with a woman just because she comes on to him. Sounds like a v unhealthy relationship!

Sighing Fri 30-Oct-15 20:59:18

She sounds like a doozy. If her partner ever cheats on her she will believe every lie about how he was 'trapped' or even worse believe she should have done more.

pinotblush Fri 30-Oct-15 21:00:06

She can't blame him so she has to blame everyone else. As piper just said, that's a very unhealthy thing to say.

00100001 Fri 30-Oct-15 21:10:45

well, actually, it's an actual known fact that actually women are a seductive and sneaky bunch and those innocent menfolk just can't be expected to control themselves when we flaunt it about. Men have no way of refusing us, if we use our womanly wiles you know. It's the woman's fault for enchanting her man and leading him astray, don't you know?

BestZebbie Fri 30-Oct-15 21:14:46

Wrt having affairs, YANBU.
There are a few situations where the phrase can apply though, I think - believing that someone is a safe driver but still being worried about them getting hurt in a car accident caused by somebody else on the road driving recklessly is one of them, for example.

BestZebbie Fri 30-Oct-15 21:18:21

Also, I think there is also a valid use of the phrase in the case of starting off a path which leads to eventual cheating, maybe? In that she trusts her boyfriend not to start coming onto other women in a previously non-sexually charged situation, but she doesn't trust other women not to start off some flirting with her partner..... and she fears that in a situation where flirting had begun, her partner would then take up any 'offers' enthusiastically.

BertieBotts Fri 30-Oct-15 21:19:18

YANBU and this drives me insane.

They're basically saying I think my partner is nice but I don't give them any credit at all.

Yes to drunk drivers - it's a totally different situation, though. This is normally said in relation to cheating, IME.

BigOCupOfTea Fri 30-Oct-15 21:59:56

Definitely not referring to drunk drivers.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Fri 30-Oct-15 22:02:25

It's the last gasp line of the person who knows their partner is a cockwomble.

You're not unreasonable at all.

And now I need a cuppa, so I hope you're doubly happy now grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now