Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can I have some quick advice on minor injuries?

(30 Posts)
MrsDeVere Fri 30-Oct-15 19:06:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 30-Oct-15 19:10:15

not a medical person, but mother of three, one very accident prone!

keep it clean, dry, nag them not to pick it, don't mention scars...it just incites them

i'd only dress them if clothes were sticking to them and chafing.

maybe a slick of Vaseline or something sudocream-ish before bed

MrsDeVere Fri 30-Oct-15 19:17:13

MissMarpleCat Fri 30-Oct-15 19:17:25

Tcp is better than a cream, creams can cause infections. Dab the tcp on. Good to see you're using dressings rather than plasters. Try and expose the wounds to the air when possible. Hopefully the wounds will heal soon, wine for you and cake for ds.

holeinmyheart Fri 30-Oct-15 19:20:25

Just a thought. When I had a bad burn on my arm, I had it dressed regularly by a nurse. She put non stick dressings on it.
You can buy it at a chemist. Otherwise bandages and plasters stick and they will need to be soaked off.
Also Compeed plasters stay on until what needs to heal has healed underneath.
I think anything that needs to be kept clean needs to be covered.
Anyway you can't let his clothing stick to a large graze that weeps.
Maybe a nurse at your local practice could be seen. They might give you the dressings on the NHS?

MrsDeVere Fri 30-Oct-15 19:29:02

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 30-Oct-15 19:31:22

It's best not to try to keep the big grazes dry, a moist occlusive dressing gives the best healing environment. You can get special dressings from chemists. They don't usually need to be changed.

Clear fluid seepage is ok and normal. Look out for pus, smelly fluid or red area spreading out from the edges (all signs of infection). The small grazes can be left to dry out and scab.

flowers wine

MrsDeVere Fri 30-Oct-15 19:34:36

MrsDeVere Fri 30-Oct-15 19:35:50

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 30-Oct-15 19:36:53

tcp will sting like a bastard!

...I'd totally continue with home treatment, what about a salt solution....like for ear piercings just dab that over if you feel the need to clear the wet goo (half a teaspoon sea salt in a pint of boiled water...I think)

and review on Monday if they obviously are not healing. Those non stick dressings should help

what on earth did he do?? Wee sausage!

MrsDeVere Fri 30-Oct-15 19:42:13

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 30-Oct-15 19:42:42

Compeed will be OK - they are hydrocolloid gel, which is what you want. Keeps dirt out, keeps wound moist. Good for comfort and healng.

For now, just keep the areas clean and covered with whatever you have. You were right to soak off any dressing that was 'stuck'. Tomorrow why not discuss with chemist and see what they've got. Remember you want moist and occlusive.

It might be best to get him looked at at GP or MIU though? Put your mind at rest?

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 30-Oct-15 19:44:43

That's right MrsD, you want the hydrocolloid dressing to go on and stay on and cover it with somethng like gauze or lint, just for protection, that can be changed.

MrsDeVere Fri 30-Oct-15 19:50:10

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 30-Oct-15 20:21:24

Understood, MrsD.

Go with the hydrocolloid and something over the top to secure it.

Once it's healed over, lots of Vitamin E cream.

MrsDeVere Fri 30-Oct-15 20:28:21

Wolfiefan Fri 30-Oct-15 20:30:42

I'm sure a pharmacist could advise on the best dressings.
Get well soon Mrs D's boy. flowers

Haggisfish Fri 30-Oct-15 20:43:06

Many sympathies. I understand that anxiety well and have to fight it myself. I sometimes draw round red edges so I know they aren't getting any bigger.

Sidge Fri 30-Oct-15 21:23:23

Hydrocolloids on grazes and abrasions aren't always ideal - they can leave them rather boggy and if the wound is already wet they can get too soggy. Certainly don't cover them up with anything if you do use them, the whole point of them is that they're a primary dressing and by covering them you reduce the gas permeability of them, causing the wounds to get even soggier.

Mepores are good and Mepore Ultra are the showerproof version. They tend to be good for abrasions as they keep them dry and protected without sticking, but not so dry they get very scabby.

You don't need creams, TCP or anything. A daily shower is fine but don't redress them until the skin is dry. Avoid rubbing and allow them to air dry or pat gently with something like a tea towel that isn't fluffy. Don't use cotton wool (the fibres can get stuck in wounds). You don't need to faff about with saline solution or wound washes unless they're deep and mucky, in which case you ought to see someone really.

Clear fluid seeping from a wound or abrasion is fine (it's just the fluid that would normally bathe the tissues, but as there is a break in the skin it leaks out) but if it's very prolific, or there's bleeding, pus or its smelly then see someone. Also see someone if there's heat, redness or an increase in pain or swelling or discharge from any of the wounds.

Hope he's better soon!

(I'm a practice nurse by the way)

Crazypetlady Fri 30-Oct-15 21:26:05

Poor boy , hope he is less sore soon.
Maybe a little aloe vera ?I would double check that as we used it for burns.
flowers and cake for you both

ShowOfBloodyStumps Fri 30-Oct-15 21:32:00

I am in awe of how brilliantly you're doing. I know the anxiety must be lurking around the corner and you're doing marvellously to face it down and remain calm. Look after yourself too. It's exhausting when you're spending so much time trying to remain sensible about something when your natural instinct has been overwritten and replaced with 'panic, run around, worst case scenario' type thought patterns.

Hope he's much, much better soon. Sounds like a nasty accident.

lougle Fri 30-Oct-15 22:09:48

You've got all the bases covered smile

Just to bullet point them so you can see them easily, signs of infection:

-Heat
-Redness
-Pain (over and above the level you'd expect for the graze itself, which will be very stingy because the nerve endings lie close to the surface of the skin)
-Fever
-Swelling
-Pus

Hydrocolloid dressings are good, but be aware that a large surface area can mean a high volume of clear fluid, which some hydrocolloid dressings won't cope with. In that case you'd have to lift the edge of the dressing to allow the liquid to seep out.

It sounds like a nasty accident. You're doing well to try and control your anxiety, but remember that if you do need reassurance that you're managing it OK, that's a perfectly normal response to an accident of that size. flowers

RainbowRoses Fri 30-Oct-15 22:15:24

Could you take him to your doctors surgery and see the practise nurse?

We had a similar accident a few years ago involving a mountain bike and a pavement, DC was grazed all down one side of his body. If I remember correctly I cleaned with diluted dettol and let the air get to it as much a possible to help it dry out amd heal.

MrsDeVere Fri 30-Oct-15 22:30:58

twinjocks Fri 30-Oct-15 22:43:08

No further advice to that you've been given already but wanted to say to you, well done and a big bunch of flowers for managing so well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now