Talk

Advanced search

Trick or treaters in the pub

(16 Posts)
WallToWallBastards Fri 30-Oct-15 10:30:09

In the pub after work, two children came into the pub trick or treating. Everyone gave them money. I also gave them money. I am now feeling confused as to why I gave them my money, apart from the fact I didn't want to look stingy. AIBU to think they shouldn't have been encouraged to walk around a pub in the dark collecting off drunk strangers? and slightly admire the fucking cheek

NuffSaidSam Fri 30-Oct-15 12:28:29

YANBU

We went out for dinner last night and there were trick or treaters going table to table in there! I like Halloween and I'm all for trick or treating on the day, but in a restaurant?!

No-one gave them any money, they shouted abuse at everyone and left. I was shock about the whole thing. I was slightly annoyed that none of the staff made any attempt to kick them out, but I think they were all mute with shock as well. The bloody check of it!!

They were aged about 7-12. Not teenagers.

Sirzy Fri 30-Oct-15 12:30:39

Yanbu. The management should have asked them to leave.

Did they have an adult with them?

ShamelessBreadAddict Fri 30-Oct-15 12:44:37

YANBU. I love Halloween (and it has been 'a thing' where I come from since I can remember), but going round a pub asking strangers for money isn't trick or treating, it's just begging.

Katiepoes Fri 30-Oct-15 12:49:14

Trick or treating is for Hallowe'en - tomorrow. Hallowe'en is one day, not a season. This is why people should have some sort of lessons before they pinch other people's traditions - learn to do it correctly and not go around annoying others. (see also baby showers)

It was huge when I was growing up (Irish) - but only on the 31st and only around houses, never in pubs or shops. I agree with Shameless, that is just plain cheeky.

Leeds2 Fri 30-Oct-15 12:49:33

I have been approached by quite young children (7 - 8) in a restaurant before now. I refused to give them anything, a couple of tables did before the manager ushered them off the premises. DOn't know where the parents were, but they didn't seem to be in the restaurant.

DisappointedOne Fri 30-Oct-15 12:51:06

This is what we get at the door on Halloween. (We're going out tomorrow.).

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Fri 30-Oct-15 12:52:25

This happened to me a few times, years ago when I used to run a pub.
There were about half a dozen boys aged between 7 and 12 in the pub with a bucket, dressed in hallowe'en costumes asking for money. When I approached them and asked them to leave one of them told me to "fuck off" and another one spat in my face.

They were from the travelling community.

laylabelle Fri 30-Oct-15 12:55:50

A group came round asking when my friend was in the pub round Halloween
Then we were in a restaurant few weeks later.same group came in asking for Christmas.no coats and was quite cold

They got asked to leave and saw them go outside,meet the adults who been waiting for them who gave them coats etc.Bit hmmmm.

My friend did give money to a boy before doing a 'sponsored box' or something.only once he gave the money did he think ah woops!was just some names scribbled on a bit of paper lol.some do try it and guess for some it works

Ynbu

twirlypoo Fri 30-Oct-15 12:56:26

We used to hang around the pub when we were younger because we knew everyone would be drunk and would give us money for sweets blush

I would never have sworn at anyone though! And It would be over my dead body that Ds ever does the same (he is 3 mind, but still!)

welliesandleaves Fri 30-Oct-15 12:59:51

I think there's a lot of chancers nowadays just using the excuse of Hallowe'en to hassle and annoy people.

SalemSaberhagen Fri 30-Oct-15 13:00:23

cardiff why even mention they were travellers, strike through or not?

Would you have mentioned that if they were black?

WallToWallBastards Fri 30-Oct-15 16:50:28

Nope, they had no adult with them and honestly they got a LOT of money. They probably got mugged for it on the way home though.

YourGutzYourGhoulzHun Fri 30-Oct-15 16:57:26

layla we had similar to that too. Although it was money for Air Cadets uniform apparently as the boys who knocked on our door wanted to join but their Mums couldn't afford their uniform. DH said, course I'll help you if you come back tomorrow with your application forms or whatever and let me have a look. They never came back.

HirplesWithHaggis Fri 30-Oct-15 17:02:18

Ah, I remember the days when the Sally Ann exploited drunks made collections for their charitable endeavours on a Friday night. At least you got a copy of the War Cry. grin

Jeeves93 Thu 05-Nov-15 13:00:50

YourGutzYourGhoulzHun - Army and Air cadets do not have to pay for uniforms. They only need to buy footwear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now