Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

who even does this?!

(52 Posts)
spillyobeans Fri 30-Oct-15 06:04:28

Got the strangest parenting 'advice' from the mil the other day...to mix coke a cola or pepsi in with formula/expressed breastmilk in the bottle so 'it tastes nice for him', WTF! who does that?!

I love my mil and shes a massive help- i vouldnt be without her, but sometimes i do wonder how dh survived childhood

Sirzy Fri 30-Oct-15 06:06:08

That has to be the strangest parenting advice I have seen!

JeanSeberg Fri 30-Oct-15 06:06:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

hesterton Fri 30-Oct-15 06:06:24

That is the most horrendously bizarre advice I have ever heard. How old is ds?

SumThucker Fri 30-Oct-15 06:10:34

My friend's mum told her to put some polo mints in boiling water when her 4 month had colic, so I can well believe the stupidity of some.

spillyobeans Fri 30-Oct-15 06:19:54

Shes in her 40s. And im not slagging, im just genuinely perplexed by what she said, so much so i had to share!

circlelake Fri 30-Oct-15 06:23:00

No one. No one does that.

GruntledOne Fri 30-Oct-15 06:27:12

My mother used to tell me to dip a finger in brandy and give it to the baby to suck ...

Out2pasture Fri 30-Oct-15 06:31:55

Wouldn't it curdle? Odd suggestion for sure.

spillyobeans Fri 30-Oct-15 06:31:56

Gruntled, my dad said his mum used to a actually put brandy in a bottle and he apparently 'slept great' - no wonder!

BeeRayKay Fri 30-Oct-15 06:32:56

Actually the boiling polo's makes sense.

Peppermint is meant to help colic. Thats probably where the advice stemmed from.

BeeRayKay Fri 30-Oct-15 06:33:25

And the brandy is an analgesic, it numbs the gums

spillyobeans Fri 30-Oct-15 06:39:24

Yes but all the suggar and addatives cant be good, and your not suppost to even give them cooled boiled water unless dehydrated. And surely baby bonjela etc is better than pure alcohol? Can understand the reasoning behind it but still dont think id personally do it

BathshebaDarkstone Fri 30-Oct-15 06:47:24

In her 40s??? I'm in my 40s and I'd like my DC to keep their teeth thanks! shock

Wrcgirl Fri 30-Oct-15 06:56:53

shock

MsJamieFraser Fri 30-Oct-15 07:09:50

Its an old wives tale, if I remember rightly it has something to do with getting a non milk taker to take the milk, as it made it sweeter... a bit like putting rusks in babies milk, the only thing the baby enjoyed was that it made it shamefully sweet hence why the baby drank more of it.

same with tea, even now parents give tea to babies as a bedtime drink...

its nonsense, but then 30/50 years ago... guidelines have changed two fold.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Fri 30-Oct-15 07:38:44

I'm 47, I've never heard of anyone putting Coke in with milk for a baby.

I have heard of people putting a drop of brandy into a bottle for a restless non sleeping baby.

EnoughAlready999 Fri 30-Oct-15 07:52:01

Breastmilk tastes nice so not sure why you would want to make that sweeter.
Formula, on the other hand, does taste like shite.

acquiescence Fri 30-Oct-15 09:22:43

Jean seberg, why the need for such a rude response? Maybe just say nothing, your comment adds nothing.

ToastyFingers Fri 30-Oct-15 09:23:58

A friend of mine, whose mother would be 50ish now used to mix his bottle with cola.

shudders

mamabambi21 Fri 30-Oct-15 09:28:09

My nan used to put tea in my dads bottle, said it was the only way he would drink it. Then wonders why he was a hyperactive child... Caffeine anyone??

VintageTrouble Fri 30-Oct-15 09:31:43

My DM used to be snooty about people putting cold sweet tea in baby''s bottles when my DB's were small (they are 40's now). Then explained how they used to buy orange juice from what was then the HV's that was so sweet it was like syrup.

Yeah because that was better!

GruntledOne Fri 30-Oct-15 09:39:52

BeeRee, trust me, my mother didn't give us brandy in order to numb our gums. It was definitely to give herself a good night's sleep.

Sighing Fri 30-Oct-15 09:56:37

I had brandy as a baby. It was not to ease my gums as I did not start teething until after the mad screaming from gastric pain (I don't remember they were deciding whether to operate on me due to weight loss, then barely gain for my first months of life). My dad used to sneak me brandy whilst 'walking me to sleep' my mum was convinced he was magic (because it worked) until he confessed years later. His mum had suggested it.

paulapompom Fri 30-Oct-15 09:58:23

Sounds like a recipe for disaster (and rotten teeth ). My grandad used to rub brandy on teething babies gums. It eased the p nd helped them sleep. Apparently he tried it with me and I perked right up and wouldn't sleep all night.

Bit hmmat the angry comments to the op. And clearly some people do this and it did happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now