Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if this is true?

(9 Posts)
anotherbloomingusername Thu 29-Oct-15 22:57:32

Thinking about this after being disappointed by my ex in what seems like the latest in a long line of opportunities to support our kids, where he's chosen to put his own wishes first.

Is the hurt I feel really my own fault, for expecting basic human kindness and decency from him? Is it wrong to expect people not to behave like assholes if they can help it?

The thought kind of depresses me. It seems like agreeing to settle for whatever shit gets handed to you and never looking for more because people are jerks and you may as well not get your hopes up.

What do you think, is it wrong to expect people to give the best they can?

PaulAnkaTheDog Thu 29-Oct-15 22:59:34

As a rule, don't read these stupid things. Always spouting crap to make the person who made it feel better.

Scoobydoo8 Thu 29-Oct-15 23:01:11

If you followed that advice you would end up surrounded by selfish, thoughtless, idiotic, stupid fuckwits, I think.

AnnaMarlowe Thu 29-Oct-15 23:03:59

That is, quite frankly, bollocks.

and you know it.

Mmmmcake123 Thu 29-Oct-15 23:11:33

Wtf!
I've got so used to seeing and ignoring far too many inspirational quotes but at least they make some people happy.
What is this? A blame yourself for everything quote!
A Halloween opposite to the trend without the screaming face?

Mmmmcake123 Thu 29-Oct-15 23:16:16

OP I personally think people can't always give the best they can, but whatever their input is lies with them and not you.
You can only help people give their best if they are trying to do that themselves. If they are repeatedly not trying then they don't deserve your input.
Look after yourself!

MissMarpleCat Thu 29-Oct-15 23:18:19

I avoid nonsense like that, it's complete shite

anotherbloomingusername Thu 29-Oct-15 23:20:01

I know, it is one of those cringey poster things, but it just caught me at the wrong moment.

Given his selfish history, I guess it's not a surprise if ex chooses to put himself first and DD last-- that's why he's an ex. So when I read it, I got mad at myself for getting my hopes up and thinking he might do the right thing, when clearly that isn't his strong point.

It's been years, I wish I was immune to that kind of disappointment by now.

ConstanceMarkYaBitch Thu 29-Oct-15 23:31:07

Sometimes its true. Some people have impossibly high expectations of others, they are constantly disappointed but never understand why.
Its just mindless fb pap though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now