Talk

Advanced search

DM that insists on giving me food in containers and then gets really demanding about wanting the containers back

(23 Posts)
Oolva Thu 29-Oct-15 20:42:00

My DM always insists on giving me food as I leave. I often do just to be polite. However the next day she will send a message about she needs the container back soon, the container is a part of a set and it's incomplete and doesn't want to loose any of them. This continues for weeks on end as don't see each other that often and it gets pretty annoying.

Yes its probabably my fault for accepting them, this is the third time its happened.

But I just dont get it, they are neither nice or expensive just bog standard plastic containers that aren't even any good at being airtight.

She is been a bit odd about them right?

Fairylea Thu 29-Oct-15 20:44:56

Do you think she's using them as a hint to get you to return them earlier / see you more often? Just a long shot.

Sparkletastic Thu 29-Oct-15 20:46:28

Say no to the food

exexpat Thu 29-Oct-15 20:47:16

Yes, it's a bit odd. I'd start either refusing the food or taking along some disposable/pound shop containers for her to use.

Curioushorse Thu 29-Oct-15 20:47:33

My granny took against her new neighbours because when they arrived, she went over with a cake for them in some tupperware. They never gave her the tupperware back.

She never forgave them and lived with the bitterness for more than 20 years. They were her only neighbours for half a mile.

(only joking. She did forgive them, but remained mildly suspicious forever)

Oolva Thu 29-Oct-15 20:48:11

I don't think that's it, she's quite busy and doesn't work and I visit her more than she visits me. I think its because she doesn't work, little things like having one plastic container not with the set bug her.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Thu 29-Oct-15 20:48:26

DSis has a bowl of mine from 20 years ago that was a set ... its now a family joke, and yes she uses it.
Tell DM to stop giving you things.

hiddenhome2 Thu 29-Oct-15 20:49:46

Take your own containers in the future, then there'll be no need to rush to get them back to her.

saucony Thu 29-Oct-15 20:51:13

My mum is the same; always cooking delicious food and delivering to family. She's loving and selfless and would give you the shirt off her back but she's insanely possessive over her Tupperware. confused

Lweji Thu 29-Oct-15 20:53:16

I'd say it's because otherwise she'd forget or you'd forget and at some point she has no containers. blush

A trick is to keep tubs or containers from supermarket things to give food away. For example, large ice cream tubs. That way she could simply send the food away without needing the container back.

Or wrap the food in foil.

Oolva Thu 29-Oct-15 20:53:49

Glad I'm not the only one saucony!

Funny thing is my mother's containers are awful. They are freezer containers and so not airtight and she totally uses them for the wrong purpose and the food goes stale. I'd understand it more if they were good ones!

leccybill Thu 29-Oct-15 20:55:01

Oh my mum is like this. She cooks extra meals a few times a week and takes them over to my great gran. Then spends the whole next day getting twitchy and making plans around getting the plates back. She's bonkers.

springydaffs Thu 29-Oct-15 20:56:40

Ffs! Accept the kind gift gratefully and happily - how lucky you are! - but stipulate you need it in a different, more temporary, container.

Totally with her on needing the set.

SaucyJack Thu 29-Oct-15 20:57:41

You've already said the thing I was going to give you as an answer.

My PILs are the sort that fuss endlessly over pointless gubbins because they quite simply can't find anything more interesting to occupy their time. Any time you leave anything behind at theirs (even fag lighters!) they put it in a labelled freezer bag and text you until you pick it up.

Bless 'em.

Oolva Thu 29-Oct-15 21:54:43

Yep jack that's it.kind of annoys me on a deeper level, they have the money and time to do so much but seem to waste it on insignificant crap.

AlwaysHope1 Thu 29-Oct-15 21:57:25

This is your dm and you feel the need to be 'polite' and awkward, you don't sound very close to each other.

justtheonethen Thu 29-Oct-15 22:01:38

My mil writes her full name on hers grin

Yellowbird54321 Thu 29-Oct-15 22:02:22

Personally I could not eat anything that had been encased in tupperware, but could you not just buy her a shitload of tupperware so she always has a surplus? (I think you can get it from pound shops these days, but prepared to be told that's incorrect).

whois Thu 29-Oct-15 22:07:02

I have never forgiven an ex-housemate who took the last remaking chocolate biscuits out of a really nice big, deep and pretty snowflake biscuit tin I had bought myself at Christmas, dumped them on the side so they went soggy to take some shit brownies into work and then NEVER BROUGHT BACK MY TIN even after I was like 'where the fuck is my beautiful biscuit tin' sad

Hassled Thu 29-Oct-15 22:10:48

I'm quite protective of my tupperware blush. In my defence, it's only since I spent around 67 hours matching boxes with lids. Can you start insisting she gives you the leftovers in a sandwich/freezer bag? They usually do the job just as well.

pictish Thu 29-Oct-15 22:11:36

It's a bit of a mum thing...or at least it is to me. My mum was very precious about her plastic storage. She also kept every ice cream tub and takeaway carton she ever got, all piled up in a cupboard. I would get cross when it would fall in on me when I opened the door and tell her off for being a hoardy storage fetishist.

A while ago dh opened a cupoard in our kitchen to be assailed by an avalanche of the very same. And I do get the bitch on if I lose a 'good one'. blush

It comes to us all in one way or another. wink

pictish Thu 29-Oct-15 22:12:34

Mind you, I wouldn't ever stir my self to text anyone about it. Never mind on multiple occasions.

Choughed Thu 29-Oct-15 22:16:00

You need to visit armed with your own Tupperware.

I am also obsessive with my food containers, but I manage to mostly keep it, um, contained.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now