Talk

Advanced search

To apply for a council house?

(113 Posts)
canidothis15 Wed 28-Oct-15 17:00:49

Hi

First of all, I own a property in an area of the country I used to live in and I left quite suddenly due to a bereavement. I didn't really feel up to selling it to be honest.

Now I have been talking to friends and some seem quite convinced I could apply for a council house (I work full time) as some houses are actually quite difficult to house people in due to the area being a bit rough.

The problem is that I have pets and so private lets aren't ideal and I am in a flat right now so that's not ideal either.

I would obviously pay full market rent. WIBU to apply for a council house or would the council laugh themselves stupid? My job is pretty well paid and I do obviously have a house.

Thanks.

FuckyNell Wed 28-Oct-15 17:02:00

Hahahahahaha

ilovesooty Wed 28-Oct-15 17:02:31

I can't imagine why you'd be eligible for social housing if you already have a property.

WombatStewForTea Wed 28-Oct-15 17:03:05

You're kidding right?

swisscheesetony Wed 28-Oct-15 17:03:32

My council let to home-owners.

JoySzasz Wed 28-Oct-15 17:03:37

I think you'd find it impossible.
There are homeless families in B&B

sugar21 Wed 28-Oct-15 17:03:44

Dont think you qualify to go on the years long waiting list

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 28-Oct-15 17:03:59

But what makes you think you would get a council house? Haven't you been listening to the news?

aprilanne Wed 28-Oct-15 17:04:18

i would imagine social housing is for people who cannot afford to buy or pay private rents .not for folk who own a house but dont want to sell presumably rent out to others for high rent .you are having a laugh

SurlyCue Wed 28-Oct-15 17:04:33

Of course you can apply. Anyone can apply for council housing.

Getting one is an entirely different matter.

formerbabe Wed 28-Oct-15 17:07:25

Council houses for property owners?!

Wow, fucking wow!

Polgara25 Wed 28-Oct-15 17:09:21

Where are you in the country?

Eligibility for council housing has nothing to do with how rich or poor you are.

If you're in London/SE you're wasting your time. Others areas less so.

canidothis15 Wed 28-Oct-15 17:11:47

Ah, OK then, thanks smile I am purely going off what I have been told, by friends - which I am happy to accept isn't accurate!

Of course nationally there is a shortage but that doesn't mean (I assume) it applies to every area and my friend recently got a council house and told me she'd turned down a few properties due to the area and that these were considered "hard to let" which is why I wondered if I might be eligible, as it's difficult private renting with pets and children.

By the way - I don't let my property out for a high rent: it's actually below market rate. It is just that the people in it are happy and settled now and I'd feel awful turfing them out hmm unfortunately you can be a bit TOO moral over these issues, as it's impeding my own life, a little.

DonkeyOaty Wed 28-Oct-15 17:12:24

Yes do apply for social housing, anyone can.

You might be waiting ooh I dunno, 12 years, mind.

canidothis15 Wed 28-Oct-15 17:12:39

No, miles from the SE.

Arfarfanarf Wed 28-Oct-15 17:12:51

You can apply. Anyone can apply. People think that only certain groups of people are 'allowed' to apply for social housing and that simply isn't true. Everyone has the right to apply.

Whether you would meet the criteria and ever actually be offered one is another matter altogether. I can't imagine a home owner would get that high up on the list in most places.

Talk to them. Tell them your situation. You will either qualify or you won't. But you are allowed to ask.

x2boys Wed 28-Oct-15 17:13:04

depends what area you live in i found it very easy to get a council house and waited nine months despite being lowest priority i got my house six months ago anybody assuming they have a right to live in the uk can apply for a council house the waiting times however are a different matter.

BrandNewAndImproved Wed 28-Oct-15 17:13:48

Council houses are for everyone.

Lots of people end up in council houses even though they own houses. If it's not a large city with years of waiting you can but try.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 28-Oct-15 17:13:53

YANBU anyone can apply.

formerbabe Wed 28-Oct-15 17:15:57

I find it completely shameless that anyone who owns a property would apply for a council house.

TalkinPease Wed 28-Oct-15 17:17:28

You can apply.
You'll be allocated points according to your needs.
If you get enough points you'll be allowed to bid for a property.
If you have the highest number of points of the bidders you get the one you want.

I'd allow 5-10 years till you get one.

x2boys Wed 28-Oct-15 17:22:45

depending on where you live of course talkinpease it took me nine months in the north west lowest priority.

TalkinPease Wed 28-Oct-15 17:24:14

Indeed,
I was just looking at the Salford website : eye opener compared with down here.

Osolea Wed 28-Oct-15 17:26:11

You have every right to apply, and why shouldn't you, you have nothing to lose. Whether your application gets you anywhere or not is down to the council, but you won't know for sure unless you try.

IfNotNowThenWhenever Wed 28-Oct-15 17:28:50

Anyone can register and bid where I live.In some areas you could get one within a year, even on a low priority.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now