Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think ofsted wont make you close for a week for a deep clean?

(22 Posts)
worriedsatsuma Wed 28-Oct-15 13:01:24

One of my friends has recently decided to put her child into nursery starting next month and she has now said to me its been delayed as they have had to close to deep clean

AIBU to think ofsted wouldn't get involved if it was a deep clean issue? and that the nursery probably has other issues they just don't want publicised

IguanaTail Wed 28-Oct-15 13:03:02

Maybe not ofsted, maybe health and safety if they were preparing food and it wasn't adequately clean.

worriedsatsuma Wed 28-Oct-15 13:04:41

There is a article on our local newspaper site that specifically says ofsted closed them for a "deep clean" but surely ofsted are about education not cleanliness?

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Wed 28-Oct-15 13:05:59

OFSTED are about ensuring standards in all areas so I dont see why not.

mygrandchildrenrock Wed 28-Oct-15 13:06:32

Could have been an outbreak of an infectious disease, causing a deep clean. That doesn't necessarily mean the nursery was the site of the outbreak, or that cleaning was not normally good but a deep clean can be a good way to get rid of lingering germs/infections.
There are some infections/diseases that you have to notify public health about depending on how many children become ill. If they've done that they might have been advised/told to have a deep clean.

Floggingmolly Wed 28-Oct-15 13:07:24

If they had to be forced into having a deep clean, I'd avoid.

WhirlwindHugs Wed 28-Oct-15 13:08:25

IIRC, if a child comes in with certain contagious illnesses Ofsted/Environmental Health have to be informed and the place has to be closed and cleaned. I think EH take the lead though.

Floggingmolly Wed 28-Oct-15 13:09:04

Oh, ok, mygrandchildren, maybe not always a bad sign.

worriedsatsuma Wed 28-Oct-15 13:09:13

I dont want to drip feed but the nursery was given an inadequate recently according to this article so this is why i don't know if i believe the deep clean reason

However if general consensus is that im wrong i will happily admit i am just a little too suspicious minded

sadwidow28 Wed 28-Oct-15 13:10:16

Well there WAS a nursery in the news yesterday that has been closed by Ofsted for a deep clean:

Hastings Observer: Nursery closed by Ofsted for a deep clean, 27th October 2015

YouMakeMyDreams Wed 28-Oct-15 13:10:21

There were a few schools in Aberdeen last year that had to close for a deep clean last year after outbreaks of norovirus. It doesn't mean standards are bad or that the outbreak started there.

Wolfiefan Wed 28-Oct-15 13:10:48

It is inadequate according to OFSTED and has been forced to close for a week long deep clean.
Why would anyone send their child to this nursery?

OddBoots Wed 28-Oct-15 13:11:14

If this is the provider I think it is look them up on ofsted and read the complaint letter form 7th Oct.

TheDeverellWoman Wed 28-Oct-15 13:12:46

I worked in a nursery years ago which was shut for a few days for a deep clean. We had a cycle of gastroenteritis. We sterilised everything.

OddBoots Wed 28-Oct-15 13:13:52

In fact if it is this provider their last ofsted was very worrying indeed, level 4 for everything.

It reads to me that they are already in special measures, the complaint went in about cleanliness but they got wind to it so got things covered for a first ofsted visit but perhaps ofsted have been back since and caught them unaware.

worriedsatsuma Wed 28-Oct-15 13:15:09

This is the article read where it said it was ofsted who closed them for a week i had not seen the other one where it seems the deep clean was confirmed

sadwidow28 Wed 28-Oct-15 13:23:18

Worriedsatsuma I will say this as an Ofsted inspector: Your article is probably more accurate than the link I provided. wink

- The provider has been suspended (that is, their license to provide nursery care has been withdrawn with immediate effect)
- It is common for a LA to put a 'special measures' team in to support a local nursery (even if it is a private provider) because the Authority's EY Dev Plan includes private providers and, therefore, the overall number of placements available in an area.
- Ofsted inspectors do not just look at play/learning, but also the welfare of children and overall environment. For example, an Ofsted inspector MUST eat one of the provided meals WITH the children.

worriedsatsuma Wed 28-Oct-15 13:27:54

So as a ofsted inspector would you unofficially tell me that this nursery is no good?

Wolfiefan Wed 28-Oct-15 13:30:26

An OFSTED inspector can't comment on a setting they have most likely never been to!

If you have concerns then read the report, contact the nursery or approach OFSTED yourself.

But why are you bothered unless your own child goes there?

runlulurun Wed 28-Oct-15 13:33:30

worriedsatsuma do you really have to ask!

worriedsatsuma Wed 28-Oct-15 13:36:01

It's my godchild who is planning to attend the setting and i don't want her to go somewhere that has to be closed to be cleaned properly but as it is not my child i wanted to get some collective wisdom before i spoke to my friend about it more

I was only asking in the unofficial capacity as someone else had mentioned it had all 4s on the last inspection report and wanted to be completely informed before i spoke to my friend

sadwidow28 Wed 28-Oct-15 19:25:59

worriedsatsuma

You and your friend have enough information in the public domain to be able to make a judgement.

Ofsted EY scales are 1-4 (1 = outstanding / 4 = inadequate)

www.gov.uk/government/publications/early-years-inspection-handbook-from-september-2015

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now