Talk

Advanced search

one born could be banned... is this unreasonable

(121 Posts)
ghostspirit Wed 28-Oct-15 10:08:16

www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/call-one-born-every-minute-6717624#ICID=sharebar_facebook

i think it is. people can turn over is they dont like it. and i think it gives woman an insight of how things might be when they are in labour.

TaliZorah Wed 28-Oct-15 10:09:57

I don't think it should be banned but it DOES frighten women. I never watched it because I was having a cesarean so didn't see the point, but I have seen it before and it only seems to show the worst case. It should at least be balanced

Chattymummyhere Wed 28-Oct-15 10:12:01

It just annoys me personally. I stopped watching along time ago and not due to being scared I got fed up of seeing useless men and women who scream at 2cm.

OffMyAyersRocker Wed 28-Oct-15 10:12:05

I've seen half an episode and just didn't get it. Why would you want to watch someone you don't know give birth confused

BertieBotts Wed 28-Oct-15 10:14:25

Could be banned? What, on the say so of one person? confused

Don't watch it if you don't want to! I don't find it frightening, labour does hurt, WTF? confused I've never seen it showing any worst case scenarios. Perhaps the newer series are more gory? I only saw the first three.

Surely a "natural birth coach" could USE these scenes to help explain things and encourage good practice. It's no good pretending childbirth is all "ommmm" and meadows. It's not.

OpheliaMoo Wed 28-Oct-15 10:14:43

It didn't scare me but actually it didn't help me one bit when I had DD as the experience wasn't the same at all! They all seem to have nice rooms, nice midwives etc etc do I stopped watching!

NutBiscuit Wed 28-Oct-15 10:16:03

Have you seen the comment in the comments section below about the "Buxton Handclap method"?? WTF??

reallybadidea Wed 28-Oct-15 10:16:19

It's not going to get banned! It's just a non-story about some randomer who has started a stupid petition hmm

Helmetbymidnight Wed 28-Oct-15 10:18:37

I think it's great. It's very enlightening.

Damselindestress Wed 28-Oct-15 10:19:12

I don't watch it but I don't think it should be banned, that's a bit extreme. This natural birth coach could just provide a different perspective for balance rather than calling for the show to be banned.

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 28-Oct-15 10:19:16

They do show positive births too. There was a lovely hypnobirthing water birth in the most recent series.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 28-Oct-15 10:19:39

Banning seems a bit OTT, but I never watch it and don't want to either, zero interest.

Enjolrass Wed 28-Oct-15 10:19:58

I think it's shit but it shouldn't be banned

Creatureofthenight Wed 28-Oct-15 10:20:38

Bit late to ban it, it's on about the 8th series isn't it?

ghostspirit Wed 28-Oct-15 10:21:44

moo thats true it does seem all very nice and kind midwifes . at my local hospital when i had baby in hospital it was horrible the midwifes are quite rude and not very kind at all. i have felt its ruined baby birth s its meant to be special because of how rude the midwifes are it feels thats taken away. im sure there are lovely midwifes to but in my experience at my local hospital they were not... but home birth they were ace and it did feel special and they were very nice

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 28-Oct-15 10:22:54

Ummmm... Buxton Handclap Method?

I hope to god he's taking the piss!

backwardpossom Wed 28-Oct-15 10:23:34

it only seems to show the worst case

No it doesn't. I've spent many an evening watching it in floods of tears because a woman has had a perfect birth which I never got.

Hmm, that's quite pathetic isn't it? thlgrin

TaliZorah Wed 28-Oct-15 10:24:10

chatty some peoples labour is that agonising 2cm is unbearable. I ended up on the floor screaming but never got past 1cm

bigbuttons Wed 28-Oct-15 10:24:50

It was good when it first started. Now it looks like a load of glammed up young midwives doing piece to camera shots.
They always make labour look so short anyway. It's not at all realistic anymore .

NinaSimoneful Wed 28-Oct-15 10:25:17

I have zero interest in watching this programme but I don't think it should be banned. Lots of people do like it. I don't watch it anyway so it doesn't affect me either way if it's no longer on.

GoofyIsACow Wed 28-Oct-15 10:27:03

Surely the Buxton handclap method is for the agricultural version... One born every moooo-nuite <gets coat>

Crazypetlady Wed 28-Oct-15 10:28:29

It didn't scare me it made labour look easier than it was

CheeseCakeOfDreams Wed 28-Oct-15 10:29:20

Bollocks, it shows a range of different births.

The problem is organisations like NCT who make out birth is some dream experience. They should manage your expectations more so you don't feel like a complete failure when you don't dilate, the baby gets stuck at a funny angle and the forceps come out. 7 out of 8 of our NCT group needed medical interventions. Not what we were 'promised.'

scatterthenuns Wed 28-Oct-15 10:29:33

The more visibility surrounding labour and birth, the better.

Going in blind due to fear of the unknown is fucking stupid.

ConstanceMarkYaBitch Wed 28-Oct-15 10:29:36

It's not going to be banned, don't be so daft. And stop reading rags like the mirror.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: