Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask what are healthy snacks for a 5 year old that hates fruit

(19 Posts)
Newtothis2015 Wed 28-Oct-15 10:03:11

My 5 year old has never liked fruit, not even fruit purées as a baby. Between meals I have always said if you are hungry then you can help yourself to the fruit bowl, she never does. So I assume she is not that hungry after all. My dh however said she is a growing girl and I need to offer her alternatives. I don't want to spoil her appetite for her meals though. She is dairy intolerant so no yogurts, cheese etc. my dh said he used to snack on biscuits, crisps etc but I don't really want to go down that route. Any ideas?

KoalaDownUnder Wed 28-Oct-15 10:06:43

Nuts
Celery with peanut butter in the hollow with sultanas on top ('ants on a log')
Cold hardboiled egg
Whole grain toast with avocado
Snow peas

specialsubject Wed 28-Oct-15 10:13:25

is her weight reasonable for her age? Does she seem healthy and well-nourished?

could it be that she eats enough and doesn't need any snacks?

SummerNights1986 Wed 28-Oct-15 10:15:11

Frozen peas? Still frozen - just tip them straight from the freezer into a bowl. My two are 5 and 7 and still love them. Very healthy and very quick.

MrsJayy Wed 28-Oct-15 10:17:16

Cherry tomatoes cucumber and the good old carrot sticks is what fruit hating dd eats.

DamsonInDistress Wed 28-Oct-15 10:51:30

If she isn't asking for them and if her weight is normal for her height, then avoid snacks at all costs. It's a really hard habit to break once established. If she does stay to need a snack then something like perpetual sticks and hummus is good, or s couple of mini rice cakes spread with the same or thinly with peanut butter.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Wed 28-Oct-15 10:55:06

Snacks aren't compulsory. I only offer my dcs snacks if tea is later than usual and they are hungry. Does your dd actually get hungry between meals?

WorraLiberty Wed 28-Oct-15 10:58:56

Your child doesn't need snacks if she's not hungry between meals.

But WRT fruit, has she tried lots of different kinds?

For example some kids wont eat apples/bananas/pears but they'll eat a chopped up pineapple or something like that.

BrandNewAndImproved Wed 28-Oct-15 11:02:02

My dd doesn't like fruit and never has. I give her toast after school and that's the only snack she really has.

Bimblywibble Wed 28-Oct-15 11:04:28

Mine tended to be offered oatcakes, cream crackers and breadsticks. They'd only bother to eat them if hungry.

They do have cereal bars when I need to keep them going, eg between school and a gym class or between swimming and ballet.

teacher1984 Wed 28-Oct-15 11:04:32

Carrots & cucumber sticks with hummus
Cherry tomatoes
Oatcakes & almond butter
Nuts, seeds, dried fruit?
Coyo coconut yoghurt (dairy free)

ragged Wed 28-Oct-15 11:11:32

Mine would have starved rather than touch any of the suggestions so far.

Mini cheddars & crisps at that age.

Mine still won't eat fresh fruit but eventually ate yo-yos or fig rolls.

ragged Wed 28-Oct-15 11:12:25

Oh no, I tell a lie. DS eventually (probably older than OP's DS) would eat 3 or 4 raisins or fresh raspberries. Still drank apple juice at 5yo, too.

TheBunnyOfDoom Wed 28-Oct-15 11:19:54

What about tomatoes, carrot sticks or slices of cucumber?

bumbleymummy Wed 28-Oct-15 11:22:50

Houmous and breadsticks/pitta?
Toast with nut butter?
Cucumber/carrot/celery/pepper?

Gottagetmoving Wed 28-Oct-15 12:24:44

I wouldn't worry about her not snacking. If she is not asking for snacks or saying she is hungry then accept it.
I would be more pleased than worried if my children had not wanted snacks when they were young.

Popcorn
Yo yos
Oatcakes

Assuming she needs snacks at all

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Wed 28-Oct-15 12:30:23

DD wont eat fruit, but likes fruit smothies, blend fruit with apple/orange juice.

Newtothis2015 Wed 28-Oct-15 13:12:04

She does sometimes come up to me and say she is hungry between meals, that's when I offer her the fruit bowl. Dh thinks I'm cruel. I think she would go with popcorn, fig rolls, breadsticks, toast etc. she has veg sticks everyday with lunch but she may eat some more if I offered. She sometimes has them with dinner too though as she doesn't like cooked veg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now