Talk

Advanced search

To expect DH to know what to do with a jacket potato

(49 Posts)
MrsSparkles Wed 28-Oct-15 07:04:23

We're both ill at the moment with colds (me much so more then him), I am also pregnant so can't take anything so feeling pretty miserable.

Really bad yesterday, and tbh haven't fancied eating for a few days now so just put a couple of jacket potatoes in the oven for tea. When he got home, asked what's for dinner, I said potatoes are in the oven, lots of fillings in the fridge. His answer what the fuck am I supposed to do with a Jacket Potato.

How do you get to nearly 40 and have no idea what to do with one, grrrrr

ChiefInspectorBarnaby Wed 28-Oct-15 07:09:15

Pretty rude response also although it might depend on the tone. My microwave has a potato setting. You stab the potato a few times and put it in and press 'POTATO'. It really is idiot proof. Have you got this? Maybe he could use that if he can't cook them in an oven although are you serious? I think even a child could do this...?

msrisotto Wed 28-Oct-15 07:10:09

How do you get to 40 being so fucking rude?

GruntledOne Wed 28-Oct-15 07:12:15

I'm assuming you had cooked the potato, OP, so that wasn't the issue? It sounds a bit as if he wasn't saying he didn't know how to deal with it but that he thought it wasn't enough for dinner. Either way if you aren't well he was being an idiot.

MrsSparkles Wed 28-Oct-15 07:14:54

chief they were already cooked, all he needed to do was cut it open and put butter and filling of choice in.

msrisotto I think it may have been that jackets on their own are not a suitable dinner. He was hunting for a pizza menu at some point but I went to bed so no idea what he did in the end.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 28-Oct-15 07:16:40

How long have you beeb together op?

BitOutOfPractice Wed 28-Oct-15 07:16:54

Been

Moln Wed 28-Oct-15 07:18:22

He was throwing a wobbler more than not knowing what to do with it wasn't he.

You could have added to his strop by mentioning that pizza isn't ideal for someone with a cold.

HelenaJustina Wed 28-Oct-15 07:18:42

If I'd had a response as rude as that, I'd have told him exactly what he could do with a jacket potato...

MrsSparkles Wed 28-Oct-15 07:23:56

Ooos ages bit about 12 years now I think. He's always a bit blunt (a trait of his nationality I think). Most of the time I just ignore it, but I was ready to kill him quite cross last night, I thought he should have been pleased I'd done anything given how bad I felt.

I think he has a severe case of man flu (I'm not very sympathetic to his cold which may add to the problem).

Mehitabel6 Wed 28-Oct-15 07:43:05

I would have just told him that it was his problem.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 28-Oct-15 07:51:45

Ok here's my take

- I would not be with a man who is a selfish enough arse to ask me what's for dinner when I'm ill

- I would not be with a man who was so rude to me

- I would not be with a man child who was so clueless---- about cooking / domestic stuff.

You shouldn't be asking how he's managed to get yo 40 like this. You should be asking why it's taken you so long to realise he's a rude, selfish idiot.

If this is your first child with this man I would be seriously worried about how this will all pan out when the baby arrives.

I know that sounds harsh based on a relatively small incident. But if this is a microcosm of your whole relationship I think it's very worrying.

PeppaWellington Wed 28-Oct-15 08:24:40

I think the answer to "what the fuck am I supposed to do with a Jacket Potato" is "shove it up your arse and get your own fucking dinner from now on."

I think he probably is aware of the concept of eating a jacket potato (well, I'm assuming) but what would bother me would be if he were really saying "you have to make me dinners I want and I'm rightly pissed off you've made something I don't want/fancy tonight and also I have to make some of it myself (ie get a filling from the fridge)"

It's not about the jacket potato, it's about rudeness, disrespect and ingratitude.

MrsDeathOfRats Wed 28-Oct-15 08:32:28

Ooooo, I love a jacket potato but I do genuinely believe my DP would not know what to do with one. I think he would sit and stare at the plate wondering where the rest of his dinner was.
He's Algerian and lots of the easy dinners I present are lost on him.

However if he spoke to me like that i would most likely tell him to shove it and then leave him for a few weeks to cook for himself til he appreciated my efforts again.

Although I wonder if it's impossible to tell his tone from your post as you don't seem offended by his language or rudeness so maybe it wasn't said in an aggressive rude way? Does he just swear as part of his vocabulary?

Fairylea Wed 28-Oct-15 08:33:54

How rude of him!

I'd tell him to stick it in his fucking gob and shut up!

BitOutOfPractice Wed 28-Oct-15 08:39:16

I swear like a trouper but not at my DP.

Incidentally my Dutch ex had never eaten a jacket potato before he met me. But I know that eating one once would have given him sufficient idea of what to do in this situation. Not that it would've got to this situation because he would have been the one asking me what I wanted for dinner and getting on and cooking it.

Honestly, this kind of arseholery would put me off a man forever.

He wasn't actually askmg what to do with one though was he? He was just being bloody rude. When is LO due? Is it your first? Dh might need a cookbook and some manners for Christmas.

IKnowIAmButWhatAreYou Wed 28-Oct-15 08:46:13

I'm not very sympathetic to his cold which may add to the problem

Yet your opening line is "We're both ill at the moment with colds (me much so more then him), I am also pregnant so can't take anything so feeling pretty miserable. "

So you're obviously expecting us to take how you're feeling into account but ignoring how he's feeling.

You both sound about 12 TBH.

IKnowIAmButWhatAreYou Wed 28-Oct-15 08:48:07

I would not be with a man who is a selfish enough arse to ask me what's for dinner when I'm ill

Ah, the man who was out at work whilst being ill.

Not unreasonable to hope for some dinner - which the OP had made.

The reaction wasn't good, but the expectation wasn't unreasonable...

Bullshitbingo Wed 28-Oct-15 08:58:15

iknow where does it say that the OP was off work? why the assumption that the DH was the only one at work with a cold?

IKnowIAmButWhatAreYou Wed 28-Oct-15 09:01:22

I must admit, I'd assumed the OP was off work from the wording of the post. No doubt she'll update us.

Olddear Wed 28-Oct-15 09:06:53

I know exactly what he could do with a jacket potato. Eating it would have been my second option.....

BitOutOfPractice Wed 28-Oct-15 09:07:11

It neither says that the DP had been out at work. Nor that the op hadn't. Lots of assumptions there I know

And if he's well enough to go to work, he's well enough to cook dinner. Unless he's one of these burning martyr types.

Armi Wed 28-Oct-15 09:11:34

I think, 'Bend over and I'll show you' might be an appropriate response.

Unthoughtknown Wed 28-Oct-15 09:12:16

Yanbu op, but some of these responses are a bit hysterical.
Hope you feel better soob.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now