Talk

Advanced search

Renting with poor credit

(14 Posts)
Worriedoctober15 Wed 28-Oct-15 06:49:51

I need to find somewhere to rent pretty promptly, just after Christmas, but my credit isn't very good.

I'm worried about this as I already have pets so that restricts where I can go and agents fees are high. I'm concerned I won't get through credit checks. What happens if someone's had a house repossessed, their credit is already bad but they need somewhere to live?

I have no one who could be guarantor either. Has anyone been though this?

Oysterbabe Wed 28-Oct-15 07:04:24

Your best bet would be to rent privately rather than through an agency. Have you tried Gumtree?
We have a btl and find tenants ourselves and don't do credit checks, just ask for proof of earnings and a reference. It means no agency fees too.

SzeliMac Wed 28-Oct-15 07:09:02

With no guarantor the other 'popular' option is 3 to 6 months rent upfront or a private landlord?

Enjolrass Wed 28-Oct-15 07:26:22

We did this but years ago.

We looked through the local papers. Landlord accepted first 3 months paid upfront and an extra £200 for deposit for our dog.

Worriedoctober15 Wed 28-Oct-15 07:59:40

I can't find any private landlords - that worries me a bit to be honest. Just concerned I might end up homeless!

TheBunnyOfDoom Wed 28-Oct-15 08:06:14

My DP had appalling credit when we met, and he got a property through a private landlord. Paid first months rent + deposit upfront and that was that. No credit check required and he pays on time every month. I moved in with him about a year later and our landlord has said we're some of his best tenants - we have two cats and he's let us decorate (paint, etc.) however we want - and even pays us back if we buy things for DIY!

I realise we're very lucky but there are some nice landlords out there. Have you asked on Facebook/gumtree or been on spareroom.com? Good luck, it must be really stressful not being able to find somewhere. flowers

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 28-Oct-15 08:09:08

Have you been to your local housing authority?

Ad far as I remember, the only 'debt' that concerned ours was rent arrears.

Worriedoctober15 Wed 28-Oct-15 08:09:16

Thanks, there just isn't anything private - it's gone when I ring up.

There's a couple of properties on right move fitting my criteria and they've been on a while but they are through agents.

Worriedoctober15 Wed 28-Oct-15 08:09:52

No, I wouldn't be eligible because I do own a property; just can't live in it! (Rightly so, I'm not complaining about this.)

glintwithpersperation Wed 28-Oct-15 08:26:39

We had very poor credit and were completely upfront about it with the agents. Paid 6 months rent in advance and my dad had to be a guarantor. Landlord was of the view that bad shit happens to good people.

Worriedoctober15 Wed 28-Oct-15 08:33:48

Would they have let you without a guarantor though?

TheBunnyOfDoom Wed 28-Oct-15 08:56:40

Why can't you live in your own property?

Lemonfizzypop Wed 28-Oct-15 09:16:21

Most agency credit checks will only look for ccjs and bankruptcy. Not sure where having a house repossessed falls in that though..

Worriedoctober15 Wed 28-Oct-15 09:39:45

I need the income it would generate, Bunny

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: